2024 Headliners

12 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Folk who've been going for decades have different experiences and expectations to Folk going for the first or second time.

It's been 8 years since they last played. It's not like Metallica showing up at Download every year.

Did you mean to quote me from a different thread? 🤔

12 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Kanye hadn’t done anything as problematic before he headlined Glastonbury but it would have been weird to have 1975 headlining last year whilst Matt Healy’s problematic behaviour was being called out by Rina on another stage. 

I've just looked it up and I agree the guy is a massive roaster but in comparison to what some massive artists have done and not been cancelled it is fairly lightweight.

12 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Yeah, whoever the headliners are I know I'd comfortably spend north of £300 seeing them. 

Did some rough sums based on estimated gig costs. Over I watched last year. Got past a grand and that was me only watching one of main headliners

2 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

I've just looked it up and I agree the guy is a massive roaster but in comparison to what some massive artists have done and not been cancelled it is fairly lightweight.

I never said it was the worst thing ever just that it's not exactly anti-Glastonbury ethos to not want someone like that to play. 

25 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I never said it was the worst thing ever just that it's not exactly anti-Glastonbury ethos to not want someone like that to play. 

I think as well there's so much scrutiny placed on the festival and at this point booking The 1975 just feels like inviting a heapload of bad press (same as booking Arcade Fire right now). 

Plus, it's clear that Matt Healy hasn't just been controversial from the public's perspective but has also angered/alienated people within the industry. If booking The 1975 then means other acts don't want to do your festival, is it worth it?

They'll probably be headliners at some point, probably after a few years when he can shake some of the baggage. At the moment it feels too fresh for an apology or act of contrition to feel sincere.

6 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

Is there any chance that Stevie, Dua and Coldplay could be just rumours? Lots of people on social media speculating Pearl Jam for Friday night. 

It's always possible. The info though, has come from people with "sources" who have had correct stuff in the past, rather than it just fitting in/making some sort of sense. 

Pearl Jam is incredibly unlikely but who knows, maybe they're charging their fans £160 a pop to make up for the small Glastonbury fee 😉

9 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

Is there any chance that Stevie, Dua and Coldplay could be just rumours? Lots of people on social media speculating Pearl Jam for Friday night. 

They are rumours- but they come from people with track records.

Are there actual Pearl Jam rumours - or just people looking at the tourdates and putting 2 and 2 together to come up with 5?

14 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

😆

I always thought his view was he wanted fresh, current people doing it 

Yes, like Kraftwerk! 

(sorry Skip, I'm only messing! 🙂 ) 

43 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

Extremely unlikely. All comes from good sources. A few years ago it would have been clearer to see on here but now info comes from a discord group of some former site users who get good info. I'd say you can take it with like 95% accuracy unless something changes. 

22 hours ago, jonnytee1 said:

When singular acts (some not even headliner level) are now charging upwards of £90 for a single ticket…..

It kinda makes the £375 for Glastonbury seem like steal of the century 

But it also makes you think why would Big bands do Glastonbury, when they can make so much more money on their own. They don't need the publicity they are already selling out stadiums for massive prices.

40 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Extremely unlikely. All comes from good sources. A few years ago it would have been clearer to see on here but now info comes from a discord group of some former site users who get good info. I'd say you can take it with like 95% accuracy unless something changes. 

Dua and Coldplay was also posted about on here from a source who was on the money wrt 2023's headliners.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Dua and Coldplay was also posted about on here from a source who was on the money wrt 2023's headliners.

Sorry I missed that. They're both clearly locks and then seems like Stevie in for Madonna to make the third. Basically loads of people in the know saying those first 2.

Who is the user that said that on here and got 2023 right?

1 hour ago, shuttlep said:

But it also makes you think why would Big bands do Glastonbury, when they can make so much more money on their own. They don't need the publicity they are already selling out stadiums for massive prices.

In comparison has this not always been the way though? Stadium gigs were £60 a ticket when Glasto was about £200, £40 a ticket back in 1998 when it was £80 a ticket

Bands will always play Glastonbury and other festivals if they have half a brain, it’s how you increase your fanbase

Edited by jonnytee1

19 minutes ago, jonnytee1 said:

In comparison has this not always been the way though? Stadium gigs were £60 a ticket when Glasto was about £200, £40 a ticket back in 1998 when it was £80 a ticket

Bands will always play Glastonbury and other festivals if they have half a brain, it’s how you increase your fanbase

Mostly agree with this but there's one big caveat. In 1998, if a band increased their fanbase at Glasto they could guarantee a decent number of those would go and buy an album. Now, they might be lucky to get a few extra quid a month from Spotify.

It might not be until they tour again that those fans give them some money - and if they're playing Glasto then those fans might just keep seeing them at festivals and never actually pay to see them at their own show.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, mouserat said:

I think as well there's so much scrutiny placed on the festival and at this point booking The 1975 just feels like inviting a heapload of bad press (same as booking Arcade Fire right now). 

Plus, it's clear that Matt Healy hasn't just been controversial from the public's perspective but has also angered/alienated people within the industry. If booking The 1975 then means other acts don't want to do your festival, is it worth it?

They'll probably be headliners at some point, probably after a few years when he can shake some of the baggage. At the moment it feels too fresh for an apology or act of contrition to feel sincere.

Do you honestly think acts would refuse to play Glastonbury because The 1975 are booked to headline????

Edited by Nobby's Old Boots

34 minutes ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

Do you honestly think acts would refuse to play Glastonbury because The 1975 are booked to headline????

If you're Ice Spice or Rina Sawayama and you've got multiple offers but one involves sharing backstage space with someone you have a major issue with, I could see you deciding to go with a different offer. It's not like Glastonbury is the only option, and it certainly isn't the best-paid.

1 hour ago, jonnytee1 said:

does Taylor swift need to get a bigger fan base, same with Madonna . I just don't think massive artist need what Glastonbury can give them . They don't need a  few extra quid from music down loads.  Playing Glastonbury they are most likely missing out a gig on their own tour which would have made them more money. I hope it isn't the case, but i can see most festivals struggling to book the massive artists over the next few years. 

it used to be do Glastonbury and get all over TV and the radio. TV and Radio are mostly irrelevant to the youth of today , It is all Tikity Tock and Sanppy chat

2 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

does Taylor swift need to get a bigger fan base, same with Madonna . I just don't think massive artist need what Glastonbury can give them . They don't need a  few extra quid from music down loads.  Playing Glastonbury they are most likely missing out a gig on their own tour which would have made them more money. I hope it isn't the case, but i can see most festivals struggling to book the massive artists over the next few years. 

it used to be do Glastonbury and get all over TV and the radio. TV and Radio are mostly irrelevant to the youth of today , It is all Tikity Tock and Sanppy chat

Good. Hopefully means we can get tickets easier. I'd LOVE Glasto to move away from mega headliners.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Good. Hopefully means we can get tickets easier. I'd LOVE Glasto to move away from mega headliners.

With you on this

Get more interesting acts on the Pyramid and Other Stage and other associated benefits

3 minutes ago, Mr Boo said:

Cheeky question, because I don’t think there is any chance of AC/DC being at Glastonbury, but does anyone know if there is anyway to get AC/DC tickets earlier than the general sale tomorrow morning? 

Unless you live within 1.5k of Croke Park, no.

• Thanks 1