2024 Headliners

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

It was far more than either of that, a truly "out of this world" experience. 

@Sawdusty surfer possibly the only other person on here with first hand experience

I was there. We didn’t take part in the banging on the cars, but I remember it, walking through and around it, and I also remember being a bit scared! It definitely felt like something very unique, and the new one is different. Yes it’s a homage or whatever, it’s simply not possible to recreate what happened in 1987. And it’s probably not possible to explain it in a way that people will get quite what it was like.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Neville Street said:

I was there. We didn’t take part in the banging on the cars, but I remember it, walking through and around it, and I also remember being a bit scared! It definitely felt like something very unique, and the new one is different. Yes it’s a homage or whatever, it’s simply not possible to recreate what happened in 1987. And it’s probably not possible to explain it in a way that people will get quite what it was like.

Yea this has become clear.

1 hour ago, stuie said:

Sorry if this has been covered but why were upright cars magic in 1987 and shite in 2023? 

Because it felt original, participatory and slightly subversive then. Now it feels like a cost-cutting measure that has replaced a beloved stage. 

6 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

36 years from now we'll be saying Car Henge 2023 was the point Glastonbury Festival peaked.

If we're still capable of holding festivals in 36 years time, that'll be a bonus.

Either that or it'll be downbeat enough that we'd be jealous of when the field half-arsedly endured Mumford & Sons in 2013.

At a work do tonight. The G comes up in conversation with a few people. Often surprised when I say nobody has been announced yet. Set out the rumoured headliners: Dua Lipa and Coldplay get nods in an “Oh yeah, figures” kind of way. Stevie Wonder? “Oh wow”

“Has Madonna ever done it?” “No, and she’s touring this year, but it looks like they won’t pay her enough.” “That’s a shame.”

Really think with Ms Ciccone (seemingly) out of the running they’ve done the best they possibly could with the general public. As usual.

Edited by sjseabass

10 hours ago, Skip997 said:

I'll try again

It was so,so,so,so much more than a few kids banging on old cars

And it involved people of all ages

But in the end I have to accept that it was a "had to have been there" experience.

There are definitely more than two posters  that would have been there, I can think of a few I'm pretty confident of other than you. 

I loved the original, as I loved a lot of the anarchic things that happened in the past (I always bang on about the Archaos year personally), but everyone knows the festival had to evolve or die. 

I'm one of the posters who was pleased they recycled the Cineramageddon cars into carhenge in 23 - lord knows they've given more than enough time, energy and entertainment to the festival to have a pop at creating something that 150,000 visitors won't have seen before.  I just think they could have made more use of the space for playing some music at the same time. 

2 hours ago, sjseabass said:

At a work do tonight. The G comes up in conversation with a few people. Often surprised when I say nobody has been announced yet. 

You didn't even patronise them about the number of other stages? 

Pfft, you're far too gracious 😉

7 hours ago, Kaboom Boxer said:

Fun topic. Mine would be:

• Muse
  • Dave
  • Broken Bells
  • Outkast
  • The 1975
  • They Hate Change
  • Brooke Combe
  • Kanye West
  • English Teacher

Spotify tells me:

• Cancer Bats
  • David Bowie
  • Dua Lipa
  • Genesis
  • Girl in Red
  • MAN WITH A MISSION
  • Radwimps
  • Richard Marx
  • The 1975

8 hours ago, Kaboom Boxer said:

• Muse
  • Dave
  • Broken Bells
  • Outkast
  • The 1975
  • They Hate Change
  • Brooke Combe
  • Kanye West
  • English Teacher

In the last 24 hours I have listened to

Olivia Rodrigo

Coldplay x BTS

Rianne Downey

The Big Moon

Holly Humberstone

Oasis

Taylor Swift

Sigrid

Kendrick Lamar feat SZA

Dua Lipa

5 hours ago, clarkete said:

There are definitely more than two posters  that would have been there, I can think of a few I'm pretty confident of other than you. 

I loved the original, as I loved a lot of the anarchic things that happened in the past (I always bang on about the Archaos year personally), but everyone knows the festival had to evolve or die. 

I'm one of the posters who was pleased they recycled the Cineramageddon cars into carhenge in 23 - lord knows they've given more than enough time, energy and entertainment to the festival to have a pop at creating something that 150,000 visitors won't have seen before.  I just think they could have made more use of the space for playing some music at the same time. 

100% agree on the last bit. I think it would make sense to emulate some of the stuff Williams Green had after headliner time-Northern Soul, Guilty Pleasures, Motown, that kind of thing. Give people who want something different to what the SE Corner offers another place to go.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Kaboom Boxer said:

• Muse
  • Dave
  • Broken Bells
  • Outkast
  • The 1975
  • They Hate Change
  • Brooke Combe
  • Kanye West
  • English Teacher

Mine from Spotify 

- The Prodigy
- Soft Play
- Yungblud
- Bring Me The Horizon
- Bob Vylan
- I Prevail
- You Me At Six
- The Blackout
- Funeral for a Friend
- The All American Rejects

Pretty much covers listening to a Slam Dunk playlist due to YMAS announcing a split and my morning run. 

42 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

100% agree on the last bit. I think it would make sense to emulate some of the stuff Williams Green had after headliner time-Northern Soul, Guilty Pleasures, Motown, that kind of thing. Give people who want something different to what the SE Corner offers another place to go.

Totally agree. Spent Thursday nights in Williams Green keeping the faith with the Deptford Northern Soul Club 

6 hours ago, clarkete said:

Assuming it doesn't bleed into other areas (with Williams Green once being there I assume it wouldn't), I think a safe prediction will be that that set up a DJ booth there this year or next. Seems like an easy win.

6 minutes ago, 1986 said:

Assuming it doesn't bleed into other areas (with Williams Green once being there I assume it wouldn't), I think a safe prediction will be that that set up a DJ booth there this year or next. Seems like an easy win.

Expect a Fatboy Slim DJ set there this year!!

image.thumb.png.d142b78bc00b314e7c8afc078ff25ac6.png