2024 Headliners

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

Thats it? Cause I mean if iplayer wasnt geo locked theres a whole other load of people tuning in. Theyre literally saying no to extra revenue because of this. The festival is trying to find new revenue streams but they literally want to keep the festival from being accessed to the rest of the planet and the ad buys would sure come in handy with all that extra traffic.

The live broadcast is restricted to the UK because, from what I’ve heard, it keeps the artist negotiations easier. International sales are handled by BBC Studios and in the last they have been able to work with artists to do some live broadcasts (didn’t BET carry Beyoncé live in the US?). I’m guessing Coachella has a bit more leverage over the worldwide live streaming because of the money involved.

I definitely think Glastonbury could pick up a streaming partner outside the UK and use some of the money to grease the artist negotiation wheels a bit… but then it’s difficult to find one that would fit the festival ethos and be able to cope with the scale involved (witness the mess of Live at Worthy Farm when they worked with a small partner)

20 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Reg > Madge also. Nobody else, correct.

Madonna has sold 400 million worldwide according to Guinness, the highest figure I can find anywhere for Reg is 300 million. 

20 minutes ago, On The Blend said:

That is pretty bonkers. I acknowledge that she’s up in the stratosphere but I probably couldn’t name 10 songs by her and I’m almost 30. 

That’s fair, possibly an age thing… But she has 13 UK number one singles, and 63 top 10 UK hits. There aren’t many headliners that can bring that sort of back catalogue to a set. (Now, whether she chooses to play them or not is a different matter.)

1 hour ago, stuie said:

So you didn't answer my questions but held up Primavera Sound as a shining example of contemporary headliners on the same year they had PSB, Blur, Depeche and New Order on their top line. 

They did have Calvin Harris too but is he even contemporary, after 20 years in the business?

Ok Coachella last year had Bad Bunny, Blackpink, Rosalia and Frank Ocean. Hardly the geriatricos Glastonbury is focusing on. 

Also Lizzo and Lana Del Rey were two potential headliners Glastonbury ignored and put them in lower slots last year. 

1 hour ago, balti-pie said:

Apart from being absolutely bollocks, why is there never a clamour for Drake to headline? Now i come to think of it i dont ever remember seeing him on any festival bills. If he's the biggest streaming artist in the world i'd imagine lots of people want to see him live, so why cant he play the Pyramid? 

They'll book him when he's 70 once the deckchair, jumper over shoulders brigade accept him. 

2 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

Ok Coachella last year had Bad Bunny, Blackpink, Rosalia and Frank Ocean. Hardly the geriatricos Glastonbury is focusing on. 

Also Lizzo and Lana Del Rey were two potential headliners Glastonbury ignored and put them in lower slots last year. 

Bad Bunny just isn't a thing in this country. Blackpink took months to sell out BST.

Agree about Lizzo. 

LDR f**ked up her Other stage set because she was having a bad hair day so I'm glad they didn't give it to her. 

18 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I used to work with someone who regularly accused me of being a pendant.  Obviously, I couldn't correct him.

I'll often accuse people of being pedontic. Only had one bite in 20 years but it was so satisfying and very much worth the other 499 times when people just looked at me a bit weird.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, On The Blend said:

That is pretty bonkers. I acknowledge that she’s up in the stratosphere but I probably couldn’t name 10 songs by her and I’m almost 30. 

10 years or so older than you & I remember liking Like a virgin, like a prayer & the song she did for Austin Powers (personally felt that was a belter of a tune, but thinking it might not be on her setlist).

She probably has loads of other songs I know, but they are the only three I remember off the top of my head

1 minute ago, philipsteak said:

I'll often accuse people of being pedontic. Only had one bite in 20 years but it was so satisfying and very much worth the other 499 times when people just looked at me a bit weird.

I once got called pentatonic. Never heard anything like it, I though such an accusation was off the scale!

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, stuie said:

What?

You asked who could be a potential headliner and I showed you options and missed opportunities. I didn't ask you for your opinion on the artists. 

It's clear there are lots of alternative options to headline other than choosing old pop stars long past their best. 

1 minute ago, Colorblindjames said:

You asked who could be a potential headliner and I showed you options and missed opportunities. I didn't ask you for your opinion on the artists. 

It's clear there are lots of alternative options to headline other than choosing old pop stars long past their best. 

OK have a good weekend. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, stuie said:

Blackpink took months to sell out BST.

While they claimed a sell-out, they never actually stopped selling tickets up to and including at the box office on the day. So I think we can safely call the claim bullshit.

And that's bearing in mind that they were playing a reduced capacity show (as was LDR, but she at least sold it out instantly).

2 hours ago, Drinky said:

The live broadcast is restricted to the UK because, from what I’ve heard, it keeps the artist negotiations easier. International sales are handled by BBC Studios and in the last they have been able to work with artists to do some live broadcasts (didn’t BET carry Beyoncé live in the US?). I’m guessing Coachella has a bit more leverage over the worldwide live streaming because of the money involved.

I definitely think Glastonbury could pick up a streaming partner outside the UK and use some of the money to grease the artist negotiation wheels a bit… but then it’s difficult to find one that would fit the festival ethos and be able to cope with the scale involved (witness the mess of Live at Worthy Farm when they worked with a small partner)

They just use Youtube which is the easiest thing you can ask for in terms of handling things and scale. Pretty flawless and they had 7 channels this past year which you could seamlessly switch around if youre on a smart tv with the youtube app installed.

2 hours ago, stuie said:

Bad Bunny just isn't a thing in this country. Blackpink took months to sell out BST.

Agree about Lizzo. 

LDR f**ked up her Other stage set because she was having a bad hair day so I'm glad they didn't give it to her. 

250,000 tickets sold and a $200+ million festival gross  for Coachella say otherwise about Blackpink and Bad Bunny not being sh*t btw. 

22 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

They just use Youtube which is the easiest thing you can ask for in terms of handling things and scale. Pretty flawless and they had 7 channels this past year which you could seamlessly switch around if youre on a smart tv with the youtube app installed.

I know, my point is the ethics of Glastonbury partnering with Google (or Amazon, or Netflix, or Apple, or any of the big tech companies who dominate streaming video)

I don’t get the Dua Lipa hype. She’s clearly big enough for the slot so credit to Emily if she’s booked.

But having watched parts of her Rock N Rio performance it just didn’t have any depth to me 🤷‍♂️ many costume changes, some dancing. But at no point did I see her sit down at a piano, pick up a guitar or generally engage the crowd much. From a performance perspective it didn’t seem in the same league to me as P!NK, Beyoncé, Taylor etc. Perhaps that’s an unfair comparison to make… But I don’t think this one is for me (good thing the festival isn’t all about me, right?)

59 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

250,000 tickets sold and a $200+ million festival gross  for Coachella say otherwise about Blackpink and Bad Bunny not being sh*t btw. 

What part of ‘not that big in the UK’ are you not getting? Am I not saying it right?

Edited by stuie
  • Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Mark H said:

I don’t get the Dua Lipa hype. She’s clearly big enough for the slot so credit to Emily if she’s booked.

But having watched parts of her Rock N Rio performance it just didn’t have any depth to me 🤷‍♂️ many costume changes, some dancing. But at no point did I see her sit down at a piano, pick up a guitar or generally engage the crowd much. From a performance perspective it didn’t seem in the same league to me as P!NK, Beyoncé, Taylor etc. Perhaps that’s an unfair comparison to make… But I don’t think this one is for me (good thing the festival isn’t all about me, right?)

I’m in full agreement here. I saw her in the then John Peel in 2017, and she was, in my humble opinion, a bang average 10 a penny pop act. Granted, that was over 6 years ago, and her career has been on an upward trajectory since, but in terms of her having the songs or show to headline the Pyramid, I can’t see it. All that said though, I’m not against the festival giving up and coming artists their shot at it, especially if the other two are older/proven/legacy types.

Still don’t think she’ll headline.