2024 Headliners

1 hour ago, gfa said:

a bit dodgy as well. wouldn't touch with a bargepole tbh

Had those exact feelings about Kanye West after I saw him at Wireless in 2014, and hey presto, there we go.

1 hour ago, gfa said:

your prediction goes all contemporary without really trying to get the older acts they missed in the past

also the bolded jesus christ - lets not 😂

Fair point. Off the top of my head, I'd argue Billy Joel, Eagles, Green Day, Pearl Jam and Red Hot Chili Peppers all fit the bill in terms of "older acts" who could top. Oh, and Depeche Mode. But again, all personal taste.

Yeah, if we got one of 'em right now, I'd be underwhelmed!

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

"Hi Chris?  Thanks for the offer of headlining for free and bringing on Rihanna as a surprise guest, but we're going to go with Horizon and the lads. I know they were last seen playing mid afternoon Other Stage to a crowd of burger vans and seagulls eating rubbish, but I really think it's their time to shine"

Like I said, maybe I'm just fusty, lad 😁

7 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I really can't blame Emily for nabbing Coldplay again.

I'm not a fan - but if one of the worlds biggest acts clearly love and 'get' the festival and are willing to help it out in a jam *and* are willing to pull out all the stops when they headline (probably for free) then it's difficult not to go with them. 

Especially if it's been 8 years.

And if the alternative is going with Bring Me The f**king Horizon.

It’s an incredible position for the fest to be in, that one of the biggest ticket shifters in the word will rock up every few years for pretty much nothing (I heard they spent more on their stage setup in 2016 than they got paid).

It’s benefitted Coldplay too, but it does seem to be a genuine thing on the bands side. I only saw their 2011 set in the flesh but it was utterly joyous in the crowd and part of that was the tangible, obvious glee on Coldplays part at being on that stage. I’ve seen some of their other sets on TV and they’re either very good actors or they genuinely love being there. They were so good in 2011 we went to see them in 2012 and my wife bought the tour programme. Even in that each band member said Glastonbury was their favourite place to play.

1 hour ago, MEGABOWL said:

It’s an incredible position for the fest to be in, that one of the biggest ticket shifters in the word will rock up every few years for pretty much nothing (I heard they spent more on their stage setup in 2016 than they got paid).

It’s benefitted Coldplay too, but it does seem to be a genuine thing on the bands side. I only saw their 2011 set in the flesh but it was utterly joyous in the crowd and part of that was the tangible, obvious glee on Coldplays part at being on that stage. I’ve seen some of their other sets on TV and they’re either very good actors or they genuinely love being there. They were so good in 2011 we went to see them in 2012 and my wife bought the tour programme. Even in that each band member said Glastonbury was their favourite place to play.

That was my first Glasto and first Pyramid headliner. Utterly blown away and needless to say, hooked on the festival from there on in. The sheer happiness on the crowds face was great to see. Hearing people carrying on singing Viva La Vida as they left the Pyramid too was such a brilliant moment. Not seen them since, always liked them. Really hope they're there next year personally and it'll be quite emotional thinking back to that first Glasto experience and the inredible memories I've amassed, 8 Glasto's on!

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Looking at those hooky P!nk dates again.  They say the onsale date was 2nd November.

Safe to call bullshit on them yet?

Don't think so. Could've been a mistake, could be plans have changed, but could equally be waiting on something else to be locked in or cleared up before announcing a tour.

The Springsteen announcement was pushed back at least twice, and within that delay some dates were moved and dropped (including, according to Steve, a Liverpool show)

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Ah - but what about the 'Anfield only has a license for 3 x stadium gigs and all of them were nabbed by Swiftie and even The Boss got bent over' hypothesis?

I've no idea whether the 3 gigs thing is true or not, and I'm not arsed enough to look into it.

But you'd certainly hope that the stadium managers would be well aware of any such conditions, and would plan accordingly.

Especially given that the Swift dates have been announced for well over 4 months now, and presumably locked in a decent amount of time before that, whereas both the potential P!nk and Springsteen dates have come into view much more recently.

While I said that I'm not arsed to look into it - the first result on Google suggests that Anfield has a major events licence for up to 6 shows annually, with none of them in July.

This Premises Licence shall operate in accordance with the planning permission granted to the Applicant for hosting concerts and major events currently under Application No.20F/3090 or any renewal or continuation of such permission, initially limiting the use of the premises under this licence to 6 events in a calendar year, including the restriction preventing any concert or major event under the licence during the month of July. This permission is valid for five seasons. The times of operation for concerts and major events that will be reflected in the Event Management Plans agreed for each event.

2 hours ago, Stokesy10 said:

That was my first Glasto and first Pyramid headliner. Utterly blown away and needless to say, hooked on the festival from there on in. The sheer happiness on the crowds face was great to see. Hearing people carrying on singing Viva La Vida as they left the Pyramid too was such a brilliant moment. Not seen them since, always liked them. Really hope they're there next year personally and it'll be quite emotional thinking back to that first Glasto experience and the inredible memories I've amassed, 8 Glasto's on!

It’s a definite favourite of mine. The In my head it was just smiles as far as the eye could see. Charlie Brown sticks in my head as it was a new song at the time, think they’d played it at a couple of gigs the week before or something but that was all. Yet the crowd just kept dancing 😆

14 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

It’s a definite favourite of mine. The In my head it was just smiles as far as the eye could see. Charlie Brown sticks in my head as it was a new song at the time, think they’d played it at a couple of gigs the week before or something but that was all. Yet the crowd just kept dancing 😆

At one stage there was a sound issue where I was stood (slightly out of line with the left stage speaker) and it had a horrendous reverb for 2 early tracks. Thought it was gonna ruin it but luckily they sorted it. Only just remembered that.

Charlie Brown yes! The setlist overall was superb. They played Shiver for thr first time for about 7 years or something.

6 minutes ago, Havors said:

Mail online have said they have confirmed its Coldplay dua lipa and madge headlining. 

Not sure how they get to reveal it before the actual festival haha 

Dua Fri, Coldplay Sat, Madge Sun according to the article.

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

A big issue with the ticket sale balls up … they don’t confirm the headliners before the sale and Emily’s stated this . However if the news gets out and becomes too strong what do they do ? Or are the daily fail getting info from sites like this ? I’m not clicking link 

Don't think it's that big a deal tbh. If the stories become strong enough that credible publications are reporting "it's definitely these", then either they're correct in which case there's no problem with the festival officially ignoring the stories (as they know people buying on that basis won't be disappointed), or they can quietly rule out one or more name (as they've done in the past when speculation got too loud).

I bet you the Mail was going to drop this today just on the eve of T day to drum up the buzz. Now it has 2 weeks to simmer. The eavii can deny it to a certain extent or let it be. So as of right now its 3 females at the top of the poster, right? Or are we presuming its only Dua and the Legend as female and theres somebody else right there thata booked and you still have a 50/50 split

Still funny that its seen as Dua being a gamble to headline when thats the safest bet you got in terms of who is available and will be promoting new material and can pull of a headline slot. Madonna is your risk in this case. She can be late or not be on point or bore the audience when she is playing her deeps cuts. Madonna def can not understand the assignment and go through the motions. But everyone will say they got to see her which is what this is about. Bragging rights

6 minutes ago, Drinky said:

The Mail story is now being widely syndicated but without the Mail being named as the source - here’s the Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/nov/04/madonna-to-headline-glastonbury-in-2024-says-report - which will both lend it more credence and spread the word around

Implies to me they know it’s true.