2024 Headliners

3 hours ago, sisco said:

Tbf, I was told they’d pencilled in the dates as they want to play it, I have chased him but he changed the subject and we talked about something else. 

Right now I’ve seen a few good bits of info about Coldplay (before the tour dates too) so if I’m honest I can’t see it not being them now.  If we then believe what Emily put about the 2 females then I’d be surprised if DM get a headliner spot. 

Wonder if they would take a sub but longer set? My own theory is that they left a gap for Glastonbury in their tour but money wise can't be agreed and potentially they see DM under the headliner point. I only know a handful of songs myself and I know Metallica got the headliner spot but isn't there again a case of this being a period where they ere a bump if Prince said no? The crowd they got at the Pyramid certainly wouldn't have struggled on the Other stage. I walked out after about 30 minutes as just wasn't feeling it and it was very easy to escape. Same could be said half way through Muse in 16 though, although I left for Underworld.

42 minutes ago, northernangel said:

Wonder if they would take a sub but longer set? My own theory is that they left a gap for Glastonbury in their tour but money wise can't be agreed and potentially they see DM under the headliner point. I only know a handful of songs myself and I know Metallica got the headliner spot but isn't there again a case of this being a period where they ere a bump if Prince said no? The crowd they got at the Pyramid certainly wouldn't have struggled on the Other stage. I walked out after about 30 minutes as just wasn't feeling it and it was very easy to escape. Same could be said half way through Muse in 16 though, although I left for Underworld.

No, they sell out arenas and stadiums. They are a headline or nothing band, just like Metallica. The fact you only know a few songs doesn’t change that fact. 

2 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

No, they sell out arenas and stadiums. They are a headline or nothing band, just like Metallica. The fact you only know a few songs doesn’t change that fact. 

It was more the point of they aren't commercially known probably outside of their fan base bar a few. Even like The Cure who are definitely that niche cult base have a good handful or more.

Either way, I don't see Glastonbury turning away Coldplay for them after 8 years. Even without covid 6 years is a lot for Coldplay. Their one final show possibly as after 2025 I reckon they are going to have a fairly long break out. For a year with 2 female headliners, Coldplay is the safer bet. My guess is they will want Madonna but settle for Rihanna. I full expect Olivia to be there but not in the headline spot yet. I expect Pulp, Olivia and someone of the D-Blok/SZA/Doja Cat to be the final sub.

26 minutes ago, jj200 said:

Friday: dua lipa

Saturday: Foo fighters

Sunday: Coldplay

Other stage 

Friday: the 1975

Saturday: pulp

Sunday: Calvin Harris

With secret set by Mumford and sons 

Friday - Bad Bunny

Saturday -  Doja Cat 

Sunday - Matt Healy AMA

Other Stage

Friday 99 cash registers

Saturday Jason Aldean

Sunday Lana Del Rey (11.25pm - 11.50pm set)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JonSnow said:

Friday - Bad Bunny

Saturday -  Doja Cat 

Sunday - Matt Healy AMA

Other Stage

Friday 99 cash registers

Saturday Jason Aldean

Sunday Lana Del Rey (11.25pm - 11.50pm set)

This might unironically be over-budget with the fees that the Bunny is demanding. Bet those cash registers don't come cheap either.

2 hours ago, northernangel said:

It was more the point of they aren't commercially known probably outside of their fan base bar a few. Even like The Cure who are definitely that niche cult base have a good handful or more.

Either way, I don't see Glastonbury turning away Coldplay for them after 8 years. Even without covid 6 years is a lot for Coldplay. Their one final show possibly as after 2025 I reckon they are going to have a fairly long break out. For a year with 2 female headliners, Coldplay is the safer bet. My guess is they will want Madonna but settle for Rihanna. I full expect Olivia to be there but not in the headline spot yet. I expect Pulp, Olivia and someone of the D-Blok/SZA/Doja Cat to be the final sub.

If DM arent supposedly that well known out of their core fanbase then why are they selling out their tour? Has to be something you yourself cant quantify? The Cure just made the most money ever on a tour so how does a supposed niche band do that sort of thing. 

it is laughable that Rihanna is seen as settling now. Some people have ridiculous standards. Either you get the senior citizen miming or the mid 30's mining, take your pick.

Depeche mode are a massive band. They are the very similar in terms of size and statue as the cure not just in the UK but globally. They also have loads of singles. Critical appeal and pop crossover, They have also never played glastonbury before and don't do many festival shows so I think there is a certain cache to getting them. They wouldn't agree anything less than headline for sure. 

World be a great show as well. Would love to see them at glasto. 

Do I think they will do it? Dunno but I hope so. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

Depeche mode are a massive band. They are the very similar in terms of size and statue as the cure not just in the UK but globally. They also have loads of singles. Critical appeal and pop crossover, They have also never played glastonbury before and don't do many festival shows so I think there is a certain cache to getting them. They wouldn't agree anything less than headline for sure. 

World be a great show as well. Would love to see them at glasto. 

Do I think they will do it? Dunno but I hope so. 

DM have a weird place in UK circles. Huge among those in the know, and judging by the fact this is the second tour in a row where they did a big London stadium show, a big crowd, yet don't seem to quite crossover in much the same way beyond 3/4 songs. It's not quite like Germany where they seem able to book wherever they want and have a guaranteed sell-out crowd.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, charlierc said:

The Werchter date listed there is the day after Glastonbury. I'm not majorly aware of Springsteen's touring schedule but what are the gaps this cycle has had?

Pretty much one day in between shows, sometimes two if he has to travel - never two dates in a row

Edited by wro_lap

1 hour ago, wro_lap said:

I think Springsteen has to enter the conversation. Throughout Europe his stadium tour sold insanely well and created such a genuine buzz. Would be an incredible booking for Glastonbury, his current live show is amazing

That’s the Saturday of Glastonbury next year, don’t think he’s done two straight nights on the current tour at any point. He’s also been pretty open regarding taking the money on this tour, I doubt it’s even on his radar.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

The Werchter date listed there is the day after Glastonbury. I'm not majorly aware of Springsteen's touring schedule but what are the gaps this cycle has had?

Yeah he wont do back to back gigs but those dates are probably bollocks tbf people are liars. 

On 7/19/2023 at 4:40 PM, The Nal said:

Really fearing another Coldplay announcement this time. I mean, its been 4 festivals since the last time!

was a story the other day in a paper about being "in talks."