2024 Headliners

12 minutes ago, Superscally said:

I don't think they do have that reputation tbf...

At its best, it does, your Stormzys, your Orbitals in the 90s, your Skunk Anansies, your Jay-Zs, your Archaoses, your Radioheads 1997, even your Billie Eilishes. All too often, and increasingly moreso now than ever before, it plumps for safe, popularity over innovation headliners, and it's to be celebrated when they do the right thing, and don't take the conservative (with a small 'c') option.

14 minutes ago, Mardy said:

All too often, and increasingly moreso now than ever before, it plumps for safe, popularity over innovation headliners, and it's to be celebrated when they do the right thing, and don't take the conservative (with a small 'c') option.

True

Far too many "past it", "old duffers" to appease the picnic blanket posse.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2023 at 2:19 PM, dotdash79 said:

Saw them play that tour  at MIlton Keynes Bowl. That was a hot day. But they were great. 

Nearly 20 years ago now. Tempted to ask my friend if that makes him feel incredibly old.

I live near the Bowl so tempted to keep an eye and see if they get a concert of interest to me. Muse playing there this summer was the first thing they'd done there in ages.

31 minutes ago, Mardy said:

At its best, it does, your Stormzys, your Orbitals in the 90s, your Skunk Anansies, your Jay-Zs, your Archaoses, your Radioheads 1997, even your Billie Eilishes. All too often, and increasingly moreso now than ever before, it plumps for safe, popularity over innovation headliners, and it's to be celebrated when they do the right thing, and don't take the conservative (with a small 'c') option.

7 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Music is “safer” in general these days. 

Very few acts out there fit that mould. 

If they wanted to somewhat safely fit this mould in 2023 they'd have booked The 1975 instead of AM and Lana instead of GNR to headline.

4 hours ago, Mardy said:

Yeah, I wish there was an outlier every year. Not even necessarily a new act...

5 hours ago, Superscally said:

I don't think they do have that reputation tbf...

4 hours ago, Mardy said:

They’ve never had a rep for booking random headliners. Because they’re the headliners. By definition they’re going to have to be a safe bet to some degree. The bill is full of endless new, weird and edgy stuff, just not right at the very very top.

On 10/2/2023 at 2:45 PM, balti-pie said:

I wouldnt ever choose to listen to Green Day, don't own any of their albums, and its a genre in which i have little to no interest.

BUT

an ex-g/f dragged me to see them about four or five years ago and they are bloody great live, to be fair to em. They'd smash a pyramid spot to bits and win over a hell of a lot of waverers. 

Selfishly I’d love them to do it because they’re right in my sweet spot where I like a few tunes, probably more than I realise, wouldn’t ever pay stadium quids to go to their own show but would be all over a festival set. See-GNR, The Cure, The Who or out of next year’s candidates Dua, O-Rod and Dave.

9 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Selfishly I’d love them to do it because they’re right in my sweet spot where I like a few tunes, probably more than I realise, wouldn’t ever pay stadium quids to go to their own show but would be all over a festival set. See-GNR, The Cure, The Who or out of next year’s candidates Dua, O-Rod and Dave.

I get your point but its funny how these are 2 very different sets of 3 acts!

5 hours ago, Mardy said:

At its best, it does, your Stormzys, your Orbitals in the 90s, your Skunk Anansies, your Jay-Zs, your Archaoses, your Radioheads 1997, even your Billie Eilishes. 

Putting S's on the end of these acts has made me feel a bit sick in my mouthies. Like 2014 football pundit.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Scotdy said:

Putting S's on the end of these acts has made me feel a bit sick in my mouthies. Like 2014 football pundit.

Massive pet hate of mine. Gary Neville does it all the time.

You know you’ve got yer Arsenal's, yer Manchester Yannited's, yer Liverpool's, yer Chelsea's.

And don't get me started on how everyone is OK with the sentence "Manchester City IS a big club" 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Neither do I, but they should aim for it.

After all it is the "Glastonbury Festival of Contemporary Performing Arts"

except when you politely suggest there could be just a tiny, little bit more metal and heavy stuff. the wagons circle pretty quickly on here!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Brass Eye Crime - YouTube

"...but its your Edmonds, your Thomas Hamiltons....."

Funnily enough, I watched that the other day for the first time in years. Probably what put it in my head. Glorious stuff.

1 minute ago, Superscally said:

Nick Cave and the lads will have a new album out next year. That's the out there headliner we all need. 

P.s. if you're thinking that you're not part of the "we", you just don't know it yet.

😉

At last a sensible shout

• Upvote 1

On 10/3/2023 at 6:10 PM, Skip997 said:

Maybe big acts

But - Bob Vylan, Sleaford Mods, Warm Dusher etc

Not saying any of these should headline - before anyone starts

TBF I only want to see 2 of them and I saw them both at Glastonbury. Pretty sure the other one (Vylan) has played too