2024 Festival

Chad888

I think Lil Tjay not showing up for the Main Stage has really highlighted issues, as well as late drop outs last year which just bumped up other acts and left big holes unfilled.

When you have the 2 main stages staggered with 13 acts total, it gives no big option to see when there is a gap. Lil Tjay didn't show and it meant there was an hour where people stood around bored because the other options were junk on Dance or FR as there was a gap on 1Xtra too.

Giving acts the stage that would thrive in a tent, but the tents are to small to host absolutly ruins them. Don Broco and Bicep playing in sunlight ruined them. 

We are also in a world where nobody listens or cares about albums. They like the song that shows up on their pre-set rap playlist and want to hear Polo G sing about Lamborghinis etc. This doesn't play well for the bands like Foals who don't have anthems, and just have albums. Even Sam Fender fans see he has a handful of songs and the rest is just album filler crap.

When you see 6 headliners and 3 are meh crap you don't care about, the ticket seems a lot worse for value than if it was marketed as 3 headliners and 1 is meh crap. Even though you get 1 more headliner you want to see, you see 50% good headliners as worse than 66%.

What they keep doing is taking swings and missing at American rap acts because they struck gold having Billie and Post at 4/5th down after they'd taken off. Its like Boomer bookings, they see an artist has a hit song and so book them for a year later not realising music doesn't work like that anymore, the music is a Spotify viral and people don't follow through to the rest of the artists tracks.

MS >> Paramore (s: Charli XCX)  // Travis Scott (s: Olivia Rodrigo) // Blink-182 (s: Royal Blood)

New R1 (combines 1X ad NME) >> Two Door // Playboi Carti // Knucks

6 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

I think Lil Tjay not showing up for the Main Stage has really highlighted issues, as well as late drop outs last year which just bumped up other acts and left big holes unfilled.

When you have the 2 main stages staggered with 13 acts total, it gives no big option to see when there is a gap. Lil Tjay didn't show and it meant there was an hour where people stood around bored because the other options were junk on Dance or FR as there was a gap on 1Xtra too.

Giving acts the stage that would thrive in a tent, but the tents are to small to host absolutly ruins them. Don Broco and Bicep playing in sunlight ruined them. 

We are also in a world where nobody listens or cares about albums. They like the song that shows up on their pre-set rap playlist and want to hear Polo G sing about Lamborghinis etc. This doesn't play well for the bands like Foals who don't have anthems, and just have albums. Even Sam Fender fans see he has a handful of songs and the rest is just album filler crap.

When you see 6 headliners and 3 are meh crap you don't care about, the ticket seems a lot worse for value than if it was marketed as 3 headliners and 1 is meh crap. Even though you get 1 more headliner you want to see, you see 50% good headliners as worse than 66%.

What they keep doing is taking swings and missing at American rap acts because they struck gold having Billie and Post at 4/5th down after they'd taken off. Its like Boomer bookings, they see an artist has a hit song and so book them for a year later not realising music doesn't work like that anymore, the music is a Spotify viral and people don't follow through to the rest of the artists tracks.

MS >> Paramore (s: Charli XCX)  // Travis Scott (s: Olivia Rodrigo) // Blink-182 (s: Royal Blood)

Playboi Carti in a tent would be astroworld 2.0

You've also put him against Travis Scott??? lol

Don Broco and Bicep are crap in sunlight for 2 completely different reasons - bicep need the dark for their show whereas don broco school leavers don't care about so its half empty

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gfa said:

Playboi Carti in a tent would be astroworld 2.0

You've also put him against Travis Scott??? lol

Don Broco and Bicep are crap in sunlight for 2 completely different reasons - bicep need the dark for their show whereas don broco school leavers don't care about so its half empty

Yup Don Broco can work in the daylight

They could’ve done with the longer set time a sub spot in the tent could’ve offered

Ultimately most acts would be much better in the tent. It’s just normally a much better atmosphere, unless it’s a glorious day and it’s The Shins or similar

13 minutes ago, SemiSweetV2 said:

Feel like Maisie Peters will headline FR or br 3rd down Main next year, if it goes back to One Stage.

Is say she’d end up in a mimi Webb kinda spot: 4th down one of the main stages kinda spot.

she’s excellent though: seen her twice this year, once at her own gig and once at a festival, and I loved both. 

Edited by Will b

4 hours ago, Dull Tools said:

How the hell have the Wombats survived this long? Amazing out of all the 2000s bands they are one to hang on

As huge landfill indie listener - and massive wombats fans in general - I'd say the difference is they've not stagnated like other bands have. 

For example, much as I love Two Door you're basically seeing them for the first album. Whereas with Wombats I'm just as excited for This Car Drives All By Itself as Moving to New York. 

If You Ever Leave is from their new album and is basically undroppable from their setlist now as it's gone down so well. Not many of their contemporaries can say the same about their new stuff. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, thatTFBguy said:

As huge landfill indie listener - and massive wombats fans in general - I'd say the difference is they've not stagnated like other bands have. 

For example, much as I love Two Door you're basically seeing them for the first album. Whereas with Wombats I'm just as excited for This Car Drives All By Itself as Moving to New York. 

If You Ever Leave is from their new album and is basically undroppable from their setlist now as it's gone down so well. Not many of their contemporaries can say the same about their new stuff. 

Exactly

The older I (and they) get, the more I appreciate the wombats, proper 45 minute set full of bangers now. Always adding to a solid base, not solely reliant on it. 

This Car drives…

waiting for a high

If you ever leave

All good long term additions to their existing set list 

Edited by Benj
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, On The Blend said:

On this point, I honestly think that if there existed The Universally Loved Band, a band followed and enjoyed by literally every living human, it would still be boring to book them every year. 

i know, as much as i’d have them every year i absolutely acknowledge that they shouldn’t be there every year

I’m here for Blink-182 headlining with Yungblud subbing and a decent day like Foos in 2019. 

Would love for them to get a NME/R1 type tent back as well as making the FR and Pit stages all 3 days again. They could make the dance tent the R1 stage and merge 1xtra, get rid of a main stage and put the tent back or even get rid of the comedy stage. 

I'm going to assume/pretend we will get the NME tent back:

Olivia Rodrigo / Fred Again / Glass Animals / Gunna / girlinred
Flume / Easy Life

Travis Scott / Ice Spice / DMA's / Beabadoobee / Mae Muller
Fontaines D.C. / King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard

Blink-182 / YUNGBLUD / Phoebe Bridgers / Turnstile / Headie One
Little Simz / Bad Boy Chiller Crew

11 minutes ago, VCK said:

I'm going to assume/pretend we will get the NME tent back:

Olivia Rodrigo / Fred Again / Glass Animals / Gunna / girlinred
Flume / Easy Life

Travis Scott / Ice Spice / DMA's / Beabadoobee / Mae Muller
Fontaines D.C. / King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard

Blink-182 / YUNGBLUD / Phoebe Bridgers / Turnstile / Headie One
Little Simz / Bad Boy Chiller Crew

Headie One ain't playing below Turnstile. Rest looks reasonable tho, although I don't think KG+TLW would be booked.

11 minutes ago, swede said:

Could the return headliner be Kendrick or has MB confirmed it is a band ? 

Possibly, but he's toured pretty extensively past couple of years. Think he'll be back in the studio/having a break by then.

5 hours ago, Chad888 said:

Foals definitely have anthems. My Number, Two Steps Twice, What Went Down, Inhaler. It's like those songs were written with big festival crowds in mind.

Edited by VCK

14 minutes ago, SemiSweetV2 said:

Where would the likes of Dermot Kennedy land? Before I embarass myself with a potential guess 🤣

Big Tent headliner at best i would say

Edit: However i don't think Reading would book him at all. Yes we have had Lewis booked but that was excused partially just due to the size of Lewis, Dermot isn't that big

Edited by nathanh

1 minute ago, charlierc said:

Is it wrong I didn't know who he was until I saw some friends had been at his All Points East set the other day?

He has pretty big numbers on Spotify. But I guess the question is comparable to me asking the same of Steve Lacy. Had no idea who he was when announced.

Okay, first shot in the dark seeing as I've no informed clue on positionings, or the rappier side of music, but -

My Chemical Romance
Neck Deep

Post Malone
Vince Staples

Dua Lipa
Ice Spice

Vampire Weekend
Phoebe Bridgers

Olivia Rodrigo
Tove Lo

Kasabian
The Kooks

10 hours ago, Dull Tools said:

Blink were one of my favorite bands growing up but don't think they would excite we anymore.

Blink is a good shout to be fair. If the 1 returning headliner is true then they must be returning to 1 main stage....  I don't think there's 5 new headliner's !