2024 Festival

Chad888

2 minutes ago, gfa said:

I wasn't on site but i'd be interested to know if it felt like just as many young people were there and the older ones were lacking, or if it was proportionally like similarly fewer of both

I would say the younger demographic were still very much there however their was a shift from what type of younger people were there in comparison to previous years, the energy felt much more chilled from those who went maybe in part due to the lack of rap representation.

As for the older demographic, they were there but I dont believe in the same numbers as they have in the past. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, On The Blend said:

Oof, I don’t know why this kind of thing keeps happening. I once saw Sigur Ros at about 6pm at Sziget and it just doesn’t work. 

it was the first time R&L had really done it to be fair

they have no other place for an act as big as bicep

3 minutes ago, gfa said:

they have no other place for an act as big as bicep

That's fair, you can't exactly plonk them on in the Festival Republic tent can you. I do feel that kind of act thrives in a tent unless they're playing somewhere like Boomtown or Tomorrowland where the stagecraft can really bring something extra.

2 hours ago, Hart Attack said:
  • Blink-182
  • My Chemical Romance
  • Paramore
  • Green Day
  • Fall Out Boy
  • Ghost
  • Boygenius
  • Enter Shikari
  • Turnstile
  • A Day To Remember
  • Parkway Drive
  • Spanish Love Songs
  • Holding Absence
  • Creeper
  • Pale Waves
  • Beabadoobee
  • Chvrches
  • Bob Vylan
  • Nova Twins
  • Malevolence
  • Ice Nine Kills
  • Maggie Lindemann
  • Neck Deep
  • The Story So Far
  • State Champs
  • Stand Atlantic
  • Meet Me @ The Altar

Get a good amount of those in the mix and I could be persuaded to return.

hi mate this isn’t the download forum

Just now, Tom Connolly said:

am only messing.  although i must say the last 5/6 years of r&l is very different to the past 2/3 years of r&l. 

Fair point!

I think we’ll see a swing back back though..they’ve clearly lost a large segment of their audience that they need to win back.  

The loyalty study and resulting bonus scheme doesn’t make any sense u less they’re going to make a proper effort to re attract that audience that they finally recognise they’ve lost

2 minutes ago, Benj said:

Fair point!

I think we’ll see a swing back back though..they’ve clearly lost a large segment of their audience that they need to win back.  

The loyalty study and resulting bonus scheme doesn’t make any sense u less they’re going to make a proper effort to re attract that audience that they finally recognise they’ve lost

i’d like to think so mate, the loyalty scheme and the whole new layout thing (whatever it ends up being) feels like an attempt to return to how the festival felt pre-covid and earlier. i love leeds fest but there’s no denying that the whole atmosphere and vibe changed massively after covid. most likely due to it being the only massive event on that year and people who wouldn’t usually go attending

The lack of a big indie name for MSE is what’s getting me. Kasabian and royal blood would both be decent MSW/subs-in-the-old-format, but who is there this year to take the killers / Sam fender / monkeys / liam Gallagher big indie name. Do muse count or are they too “heavy”? Would the festival take a risk and not have a big indie name to draw the dark fruits crowd?

6 minutes ago, Will b said:

The lack of a big indie name for MSE is what’s getting me. Kasabian and royal blood would both be decent MSW/subs-in-the-old-format, but who is there this year to take the killers / Sam fender / monkeys / liam Gallagher big indie name. Do muse count or are they too “heavy”? Would the festival take a risk and not have a big indie name to draw the dark fruits crowd?

Good point. Not sure who’s out there At all… esp if they go back to a single main stage. 

Muse > Kasabian > Two door

Type of thing could just about work, otherwise there is nothing

Royal Blood are surely over exposed at this point, there can’t be a soul in the U.K. who’d be excited about seeing them, who’s not seen them in the last 2 years

Edited by Benj

42 minutes ago, Benj said:

#bringbackthebigtent

They should have just waited another year/two until their next album and reassessed if they could do MSE sub or maybe even MSW i think

3 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

After their 3 outstanding headline sets in the last 4 years, I would honestly take The 1975 every year forever. 

Peak download forum this one (i know its a joke --- i think)

1 minute ago, gfa said:

They should have just waited another year/two until their next album and reassessed if they could do MSE sub or maybe even MSW i think

Are they way too big to have done the dance tent up against Fender or the Killers?

Just now, Benj said:

Are they way too big to have done the dance tent up against Fender or the Killers?

They would be mad to take that slot but they were mad to take the slot they took outside too imo

It would be rammed and they are just bigger than that, its stooping for them. Just look at what they've headlined recently

3 hours ago, Benj said:

Dunno, think they may have peaked popularity wise and I say this as a supposedly top .05% of their listeners on Spotify.

Will need some big songs to make the leap on the next LP. 

I can see them maybe subbing a headliner in the pre 21 format, which is probably a place high for a tent headliner, which seemed to be around 3rd from toppish 

They subbed MSE of the back of Blue Weekend and headlined Latitude. If the album is big I could see MB bumping them up to MSE headliner. 

In terms of the returning headliner, its gotta be Paramore or QOTSA hasn't it, Blink are w*nk live, Toms voice is shot to pieces. 

1 hour ago, On The Blend said:

Oof, I don’t know why this kind of thing keeps happening. I once saw Sigur Ros at about 6pm at Sziget and it just doesn’t work. 

First time I’ve seen someone compare Sigur Ros and Bicep 😂😂

Sigur Ros next year anyone?

2 minutes ago, Tom Connolly said:

it’s not a joke. book them every year. they absolutely smash it every time and the crowd love them

On this point, I honestly think that if there existed The Universally Loved Band, a band followed and enjoyed by literally every living human, it would still be boring to book them every year. 

• Upvote 1