Rock Slot 2023

Gnomicide

Not too many opportunities left for some of the older rockers to play Glastonbury. Ozzy, Alice Cooper (saw recently, was great), Whitesnake (if they’re still going) etc would fit the bill - enough songs that a festival crowd would know.

Ditto the likes of Def Leppard, Judas Priest. Bon Jovi can do one though

Whitesnake have been about, or at least touring, around the time of the festival a few times but not shown. I think Coverdale would be up for it.

This is where I think Aerosmith dropping out hasn't helped, if they'd drawn a big crowd and gone down well (which I think they would have done) and seen a bump in sales/streaming, it would have made a few others a little keener.

• Upvote 1

Talking about Aerosmith, is it cool that he was once fucking the 16 year old girl he was the guardian of? If we're talking about renaming the JPT, what about this creepy behaviour?

https://meaww.com/aerosmith-steven-tyler-adopted-underage-julia-holcomb-to-date-his-ward-and-impregnate-her#:~:text=But did you know about Steven Tyler's relationship with an underage girl%3F&text=In one of the more,It was November 1973.

20 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Talking about Aerosmith, is it cool that he was once fucking the 16 year old girl he was the guardian of? If we're talking about renaming the JPT, what about this creepy behaviour?

https://meaww.com/aerosmith-steven-tyler-adopted-underage-julia-holcomb-to-date-his-ward-and-impregnate-her#:~:text=But did you know about Steven Tyler's relationship with an underage girl%3F&text=In one of the more,It was November 1973.

Been discussed pretty thoroughly when they were initially rumoured/leaked and basically landed on if Glastonbury decided to start really looking through people’s pasts and not booking acts because of them then we’d start losing out on a lot of the big artists they currently book, especially the likes of the 70’s rock stars. The Stones certainly wouldn’t have happened. Bowie probably. Tons more. And as you say, the John Peel stage has remained up and unchanged for years despite his behaviour being common knowledge for anybody who cares to look at his Wikipedia. Guess it’s up to the attendees to be vocal if they think this kind of booking policy should be changed. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

AC/DC. For heritage, get the place bouncing heavy rock.  Royal Blood for a bit more contemporary rock. For grandad rock, Deep Purple, and for niche prog/heavy rock, Uriah Heep. 

Presuming they can still play and have a least a few original mambers, then Deep Purple might be okay.

31 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Presuming they can still play and have a least a few original mambers, then Deep Purple might be okay.

Gillan, Glover and Paice still in the band, Jon Lord is dead and Richie Blackmore has turned into some sort of ye olde medieval folksy lute player. With his wife, Candice Night he had turned away from massive long guitar solos. Actually quite good if you like that sort of thing. Band called Blackmores Night, surprisingly

3A5F3F2B-8EB2-476B-8EBA-0E07BFD6C46C.thumb.webp.3bb77b3cafd423cfad78feb58f48b563.webp

😊

Edited by Ayrshire Chris
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, wro_lap said:

I believe Justin Hawkins said on his YouTube channel that The Darkness were offered a headline slot in around 03-05 and turned it down. I can't for the life of me remember why. Would be a fun Pyramid opener though

I’m sure I remember something to the contrary - that they were offered a lower slot but turned it down because they thought they should be headlining.