Areas you would cut to save money

Hugh Jass II

On 9/28/2022 at 1:34 AM, MaxPower said:

This is mad, it was hugely popular and absolutely rammed from 5pm Thursday until the end of the festival? 

source: I saw maybe 10 acts there.

A friend and I went Wednesday night, but the sound was terrible so didn’t bother going back the rest of the weekend

2 hours ago, gigpusher said:

I love The Park Stage and never had issues with sound there. I think if The Park Stage was to go I'd be gutted. It was also Emily's baby so I really can't see it happening. 

The questioned was framed as “if you had cut a stage”. It was a tough decision but one I stand by.

I’d rather they put the price of a ticket up and keep capacity to 2019 levels.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, March Hare said:

Maybe I shouldn't comment as ticket prices don't affect me.

But they really need to keep capacity at 2019 levels as an absolute maximum.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Old_Johno said:

To turn this question on it’s head a bit, I’d cut the limitless alcohol on entry. Festivals make most of their money from you when you’re on site.

Would also help with queues and the amount of overloaded broken trolleys clogging up the entry queues. Would go down like a lead balloon though. 

It's a good idea but would make queues worse having to actually enforce it. That would be the main problem. Especially as people can make multiple trips.

3 hours ago, March Hare said:

The questioned was framed as “if you had cut a stage”. It was a tough decision but one I stand by.

Yep I know but I would cut the Pyramid stage before The Park! I too would rather increase prices than damage the experience. 

I think rather than cutting a whole stage it would be better to cut an act or 2 over the weekend on all stages. Would probably save more money and wouldn’t be as noticeable. Just have stages starting later or finishing earlier on a rolling basis. 

34 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

It's a good idea but would make queues worse having to actually enforce it. That would be the main problem. Especially as people can make multiple trips.

If they had to do that you'd say can only bring alcohol in on first entry. Then they'd police it as other festivals do, only taking it off people that are obviously over the limit. There'd be a lot of self policing of people leaving more at home I reckon.

Although the 4am crew might be in trouble if crisp gate is anything to go by.

Edited by Leyrulion

4 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Difficult to think where to move it to, without getting rid of something else. I agree the congestion isn’t great, at its worst the barricade stopping entry was by the foot of the Acoustic field so it’s a long detour if your trying to get round it. Was it closed off about 200 metres in all directions??

I'd merge it in with other areas, I think you could add acts into BBC introducing, run left field a bit later etc. 

A more imaginative view could see some acts in the circus field, there's no reason big top has to be entirely circus acts.At wilderness this year the same stage I was watching cabaret on was also doing fetish acrobatics (don't ask) later on in the night. 

11 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

How about a Glastonbury all inclusive option food and drink for the full 5 days £500 per person, managed by wristbands and drinks in special cups.

It would have to be much more than 500quid tho. Drink is 6quid a pop. Do 6 a day is £36 x5. Meals £10 each on average. I know it wouldn't be cost price but they wouldn't undercut too much. And i say 6 drinks a day - i could easily do triple over 24 hours with spirits / wine etc 

14 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

How about a Glastonbury all inclusive option food and drink for the full 5 days £500 per person, managed by wristbands and drinks in special cups.

Bargain. Could easily get a lot more than £200 worth of booze and food in me. Is merch included? 
Can I hand a burrito to my wife on a normal ticket? 

Edited by blutarsky

1 hour ago, Leyrulion said:

If they had to do that you'd say can only bring alcohol in on first entry. Then they'd police it as other festivals do, only taking it off people that are obviously over the limit. There'd be a lot of self policing of people leaving more at home I reckon.

Although the 4am crew might be in trouble if crisp gate is anything to go by.

Yeah exactly that, shambala and Boomtown both have 16 can limits but I’ve never seen anyone have anything taken off them. Just makes people think twice

35 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Bargain. Could easily get a lot more than £200 worth of booze and food in me. Is merch included? 
Can I hand a burrito to my wife on a normal ticket? 

I mean an extra £500 per person or something like that. 

no merchandise, maybe a different coloured wristband. 

not much of an idea, but would be a load of fun. 

3 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Yep I know but I would cut the Pyramid stage before The Park! I too would rather increase prices than damage the experience. 

I think rather than cutting a whole stage it would be better to cut an act or 2 over the weekend on all stages. Would probably save more money and wouldn’t be as noticeable. Just have stages starting later or finishing earlier on a rolling basis. 

😂

You really love The Park don’t you!  I agree, there is little bits that you can trim.

Sadly, it’s raise prices or cut costs. It doesn’t all have to come from ticket sales but I know some non-food stalls struggle to break even. So increases in prices for them also risk the makeup of the festival changing. They won’t show to make a loss

7 hours ago, March Hare said:

😂

You really love The Park don’t you!  I agree, there is little bits that you can trim.

Sadly, it’s raise prices or cut costs. It doesn’t all have to come from ticket sales but I know some non-food stalls struggle to break even. So increases in prices for them also risk the makeup of the festival changing. They won’t show to make a loss

Yep it's probably the first area of the festival that I fell in love with when I first went. I think some stalls would be willing to make a small loss (if they were doing it mostly to get tickets and some word of mouth advertising) I have seen some traders there that I wouldn't buy their products at the festival but have taken a card and bought online afterwards but yes I agree people shouldn't be working to make a loss. 

I suspect again we'll see a combo of raise prices and cut costs. I wouldn't expect any area to be totally cut though I think it will be more stealthy than that. 

I find an all inclusive would be abused no end. People would pool money together and get one wristband and then slip drinks to friends etc. If you could only get one drink per order as well, that would just make things even more annoying, that everyone who has a wristband would have to be present at the front of the bar to show they're allowed to have the drink etc.

The idea of limiting alchohol into the festival could help a little, although I don't know how many people this would target. I've never taken more than one crate in and my friends too. Spirits decantered into a coke bottle are hard to spot and what do you do about that as well? There's no way to stop spirits. 

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

3 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I find an all inclusive would be abused no end. People would pool money together and get one wristband and then slip drinks to friends etc. If you could only get one drink per order as well, that would just make things even more annoying, that everyone who has a wristband would have to be present at the front of the bar to show they're allowed to have the drink etc.

The idea of limiting alchohol into the festival could help a little, although I don't know how many people this would target. I've never taken more than one crate in and my friends too. Spirits decantered into a coke bottle are hard to spot and what do you do about that as well? There's no way to stop spirits. 

Complete non-starter, I hope. Used to really annoy me when I went to T in the Park a few times, no alcohol allowed into the arena (Yes, you could smuggle small quantities in) so you had to drink what they wanted you to, which was Tennent's Lager and, erm, Tennent's Lager.

16 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Complete non-starter, I hope. Used to really annoy me when I went to T in the Park a few times, no alcohol allowed into the arena (Yes, you could smuggle small quantities in) so you had to drink what they wanted you to, which was Tennent's Lager and, erm, Tennent's Lager.

Get your Vitamin T in you! 

• Upvote 1

On 10/1/2022 at 11:15 PM, Leyrulion said:

Here's a thought, what areas could they add to make more money without selling out? 

I'm thinking

Flushing toilet pass (buy a pass)

Vaping "lounges" or whatever it is they call them (companies pay to have it)

More drink sponsorships through stalls/areas having pop up bars or exclusivity at existing bars. I've seen patron tequila, Grey Goose, Bombay Sapphire, Veuve Cliquot, Jagermeister and Redbull this summer at other festivals. 

They seem a lot more subtle (to varying degrees) than the big "Carlsberg presents..." In your face stuff of the early 00s.  I'm thinking like the San Remo bar only doing Patron Tequila cocktails, it's already themed so why not put a brand on it?

Flushing toilet pass (buy a pass)

Flushing toilets were removed years ago because of the water aid assocation

Vaping "lounges" or whatever it is they call them (companies pay to have it)

That is selling out

More drink sponsorships through stalls/areas having pop up bars or exclusivity at existing bars. I've seen patron tequila, Grey Goose, Bombay Sapphire, Veuve Cliquot, Jagermeister and Redbull this summer at other festivals. 

That is selling out

They seem a lot more subtle (to varying degrees) than the big "Carlsberg presents..." In your face stuff of the early 00s.  I'm thinking like the San Remo bar only doing Patron Tequila cocktails, it's already themed so why not put a brand on it?

That is selling out

I've been to the festival you're describing - it was the 99/2000 and it was awful going into the Rizla/Virgin/Smirnoff Ice tent.  Not having those things is one of the beautiful things about the modern festival.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I've been to the festival you're describing - it was the 99/2000 and it was awful going into the Rizla/Virgin/Smirnoff Ice tent.  Not having those things is one of the beautiful things about the modern festival.

Agree

3 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Limiting alcohol would mean they would actually have to search people 😂

You can stop spirits - shake the bottles and it looks different say when vodka is in it vs water. there's always a way but its just about putting people off really

On 10/3/2022 at 4:34 PM, stuie said:

We're all tourists at Glasto.  None of us live there. 

100%  Boils my piss looking down at people for being "tourists" at Glastonbury.  Absolutely nothing wrong with looking at something and moving on to the next thing, rather than spending 5 hours in The Temple and not seeing most of the festival.  People do Glastonbury how they want to.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
  • Upvote 6

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Further on in the discussion I spoke about how we actually have a lot of those things already at the festival.l, specifically in terms of branding. It's just the type of branding that seems to grate with people. No reason to think that it would be the same as what happened nearly 1/4 of a century ago. 

17 hours ago, benc said:

haven't read anything past the first page

If things get that bad and books need to be balanced, then this one is going to be unpopular, why not open the doors on Thurs instead of Weds?

The only way that that would be acceptable would be if the Monday became a proper festival day and everyone left on the Tuesday.