R+L 22 Campsite Warfare

__Phoenix

The searches i experienced at reading was pretty thorough and there was a sniffer dog on Sunday going in. He was very cute and doing a very good job.  He flagged about 10 people out of the 20 i saw getting in. One person tried to hide their gear in their carry box of beer which i thought was a pretty good idea if it had worked out. 

3 minutes ago, GeezLouise said:

The searches i experienced at reading was pretty thorough and there was a sniffer dog on Sunday going in. He was very cute and doing a very good job.  He flagged about 10 people out of the 20 i saw getting in. One person tried to hide their gear in their carry box of beer which i thought was a pretty good idea if it had worked out. 

No smell proofing so near enough useless 😉 

52 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Friday and Saturday I had it in a plastic bottle, down my pants and between my thighs but the lid started leaking on Sunday so I had to put it just sticking above my waistband behind my bumbag. My mate in front of my got patted down properly and the guy found it and then immediately asked if I had any too and started patting me down and found it. I tried saying ‘Come on mate, it costs a fortune in there, let me save a bit of money?’ but he wasn’t having any of it. 

You know for a fact they’d be fuming if the shoe was on the other foot and they got caught. Never noticed before this year the second line of stewards beyond the arena gates looking out of people who think they’ve got away with it. Sneaky

21 hours ago, Skip997 said:

I am astounded that the Leeds and Reading licensing authorities still allow these events to continue. 

First festival I ever went to was Glade 2009, as they changed the age to 16+, and had the most amazing time that was frankly life changing, and saw some shit my young brain definitely wanst ready for (no one should be subjected to that much psytrance at a young age!). Then went to Reading 2009 and experienced just the polar opposite of festivals. It was a fucking abomination of bad vibes that was a borderline riot. Then in 2010 Glade lost their license because Hampshire Police put their policing costs up and priced the festival out of their location.

I couldnt believe how a festival like Reading was allowed to go ahead every year while festivals like Glade were being shut down. Its mad.

• Upvote 1

Having gone to every R&L since 08, the “purge” on Sunday is no where near as bad as it was a decade or so ago. It’s just folk didn’t go around posting it so heavily on social media back then. I’m not condoning it but the pictures painted on Tik tok etc are over exaggerated.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gorfield said:

They were burning down tents when I used to go back when the line up was good 😉 I always slept on my car on the Sunday night. The rioting started back when it was at Temple Newsham its nothing new. It was bloody scary as I recall!

Temple Newsham 2002 was like a scene from Apocalypse Now.

I think its kind of good to have a bit of a tear up at a festival, and im glad to hear it still goes on at Reading and Leeds. If i was being charged £6.50 for a can of Carlsberg, i would be pretty pissed off too.

I remember once at Global Gathering i got caught up in a massive rumble between a large group of lads and some security guards who seriously underestimated the situation and got their heads kicked in. I cannot lie, it was quite exhilarating to witness, especially as most security guards back then in the mid noughties were nasty bastards. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, CauliflowerEar said:

I think its kind of good to have a bit of a tear up at a festival, and im glad to hear it still goes on at Reading and Leeds. If i was being charged £6.50 for a can of Carlsberg, i would be pretty pissed off too.

I remember once at Global Gathering i got caught up in a massive rumble between a large group of lads and some security guards who seriously underestimated the situation and got their heads kicked in. I cannot lie, it was quite exhilarating to witness, especially as most security guards back then in the mid noughties were nasty bastards. 

Rage against the organisers, I get that, but raging against random people and their tents / possessions is a out of order IMO.

On 8/30/2022 at 10:22 AM, Andre91 said:

2008 sounds much worse than this year but people didn’t capture every incident on film back then. Was it 2002/2003 or something at Leeds which was supposedly the worst ever? 

The Sunday at Leeds in 2013 after Eminem had played was absolute carnage and the worst I’ve ever seen it. I don’t think a weekend of torrential rain and flooded campsites helped but it was chaos. Those were the days when I left my good phone at home and took a shitty old one with me, the same for many, many people, so we didn’t get to video all of the tents burning, or the gas canisters people had snuck in to cook with exploding, or the camping chairs being lobbed across the campsite…

2008 was pretty chaotic. Lots of explosions going on all throughout the night, all the way into daylight the next morning. I wasn't right in the thick of it, but the fires were visible from where I was in red. I do remember being woken up by some guy trying to open my tent, when I asked who was there he obviously panicked and asked if I had any cigs. I told him no, he kicked one of my tent ropes out, seemingly out of frustration.😂

2002 was the big one, where they had to move sites from Temple Newsam to Bramham. I didn't go, was too young, but know people who did and the scenes sounded like something from Apocalypse Now. Also it was bad the two years prior to that and they were almost going to move the festival after the riots in 2001.

If you weren’t there in 2008 you’ve not done Reading properly. As someone has mentioned, it was like Apocalypse Now, the closest I’ve experienced to frontline warfare.

But it was done sensibly & the crowd were looking out for each other, despite burning your mates tent & making sure the ice cream man was out of his van before pushing it over.

16 hours ago, Bisque said:

If you weren’t there in 2008 you’ve not done Reading properly. As someone has mentioned, it was like Apocalypse Now, the closest I’ve experienced to frontline warfare.

But it was done sensibly & the crowd were looking out for each other, despite burning your mates tent & making sure the ice cream man was out of his van before pushing it over.

Agree. 2008 and 2009 were fucking wild! But it was very much festival goers Vs police and security, rather than this year where it seems like it was festival goers Vs festival goers. 

Edited by jonnyisRFC