Fitness for Glastonbury 2023

gigpusher

3 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Awesome!  How did the Ringway Walk go?  Impressive to go for a Boxing Day race, although I'm in for one on New Years Day - not sure which is worse haha!

Hey, I didn't do the Ringway in the end as didn't feel great and weather was a bit rubbish. I've just signed up for a run on Saturday though in Kirkstall. Just shy of 9 miles.

What's the New Year's Day one?

Thinking of doing a half marathon in Bridlington on New Year's Eve.

11 minutes ago, sfroml said:

Hey, I didn't do the Ringway in the end as didn't feel great and weather was a bit rubbish. I've just signed up for a run on Saturday though in Kirkstall. Just shy of 9 miles.

Good stuff - enjoy!

The New Year’s Day one is called the Knackercracker - https://www.trionium.com/knackercracker/

Looks like a good event.  Think a lot do it in fancy dress.  473m of ascent around Box Hill - which is sizeable for a 10k.  Looking forward to it!

Every Glastonbury by about the Friday evening my lower back is in pain. I was thinking of starting weekly pilates to stop this happening next year. Does anyone know if this will work? Or is there something better I could be doing?

For ref, I already do a mix of cardio and strength training 4 times a week, but I rarely do much core work.

12 minutes ago, barkley87 said:

Every Glastonbury by about the Friday evening my lower back is in pain. I was thinking of starting weekly pilates to stop this happening next year. Does anyone know if this will work? Or is there something better I could be doing?

For ref, I already do a mix of cardio and strength training 4 times a week, but I rarely do much core work.

I'd say it would deffo help. Yoga too.

• Thanks 1

Weekly mileage has been increased over the last month or so, and hit 500miles year-to-date last Thursday. My easy pace has also increased with the added mileage, seems I’m able to maintain a quicker pace easier. Just in time for Christmas excess to ruin everything and put me back to square one haha

• 3 weeks later...

thought i'd ask you fitness geeks thiss....

i  have blagged myself a free sports massage, first time i'll have had one, i don't have a clue what to wear, mostly it'll be my legs she'll want to get at, so should i wear shorts???

any advice hugely appreciated.

Edited by Neil

Heyyyy hope you don't mind me using this thread for this, but I need to start a weight loss journey TODAY, and I need a little motivation to do it. 

So a little background, in 2017, I weighed 23.5 Stone!!! I lost weight, with the help of friends who were also on the same journey, and by the time covid hit in 2020 I was 16 stone 5 lbs and very happy. I'm 6'3" and stocky, I was doing the park run weekly, walking 5km daily and working out at the gym regularly, so 16 stone looked great on me. Then covid and yadda yadda yadda, I gained weight. Now, due to the publican lifestyle, we're in a vicious cycle of eating way too many takeaways and doing way too little exercise. I know what I need to change, I know how to change it, I just need to find the motivation.

I'm now 20 stone 4 lbs, or 284lb So more than half of that hard work undone 😥 But, there's 28 weeks to Glasto!!! 16 stone is 224lb, but (apparently) it's unsafe to lose more than 2lb per week. So I'm going to set a realistic target of 50lb weight loss... That's 2lb a week with a 6lb (xmas?) buffer. And would mean I weight 16 stone 10 lbs at Glasto. If I can achieve that, or even get close, I will be over the moon. 

So that's the target 50lbs lost and 16 Stone 10 lbs by Glasto. It's an incredibly ambitious target, but on past experience, I know, in the right mind frame, I can do it!

That's where this thread can come in, if you guys don't mind. My hope is that posting daily updates in here can keep me motivated. I know this sounds pathetic, but last time it was the constant updating and weigh ins with friends that kept me on the right path, my hope is that me updating this thread will do similar. I don't need the pats on the back, I'm not looking for praise as I go along, (although it's always nice) but the thought of having to post regular updates should hopefully keep me on track. I'm the kind of person that has to weigh myself every morning just to get my mind on the right track. 

So this is my first update, 20 stone 4 lbs 🤮 Last night I walked the dogs 3km... But then I drove to Maccies and had a big tasty meal and a millionaire doughnut. 😥

Lets start today by walking the dogs 5km, I have a home made (batch cooked and frozen) winter vegetable soup for lunch and by planning a grilled chicken and steamed veg meal for this evening. 👍

• Upvote 2

On 11/6/2022 at 7:25 PM, sfroml said:

I got myself half marathon fit this year, it definitely helped on the endurance side. I'll aim to do the same this year. I averaged 44k steps per day of the festival.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neil said:

i  have blagged myself a free sports massage, first time i'll have had one, i don't have a clue what to wear, mostly it'll be my legs she'll want to get at, so should i wear shorts???

Wouldn't that be a matter of wearing your best pants/boxers? For the legs they'll want to be able to get to the thigh muscles "all the way"!

@Alvoram If you do not post daily every day we'll all downvote you 😛

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2019 said:

I got myself half marathon fit this year, it definitely helped on the endurance side. I'll aim to do the same this year. I averaged 44k steps per day of the festival.

Bloody hell, that's some serious steppage... We averaged 25K or 17.5km per day (as tracked by gps) and we were staying in Sticklinch! Where were you staying? 

1 hour ago, Neil said:

Shorts is best for legs or they’ll cover your pants. You’ll be bettered afterwards so have some ibuprofen ready

9 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Wow!

I feel overweight at just under 13st, am about 6 1

According to BMI that is a healthy weight... 

But BMI charts are not always best, for example if you are a strong build, and work out a lot, you're going to have a lot more muscle mass. According to BMI, I'm guessing almost every Rugby player would be obese. 

21 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Bloody hell, that's some serious steppage... We averaged 25K or 17.5km per day (as tracked by gps) and we were staying in Sticklinch! Where were you staying? 

Sticklinch too! I definitely felt the distance the following week. I tried to get back to WV this year but I'm the panic ended up at SL. Measured with Garmin/Fenix6. Peak day was Friday 47k steps, 38km.

Screenshot_20221206-103726.png

9 minutes ago, 2019 said:

Sticklinch too! I definitely felt the distance the following week. I tried to get back to WV this year but I'm the panic ended up at SL. Measured with Garmin/Fenix6. Peak day was Friday 47k steps, 38km.

Screenshot_20221206-103726.png

Oh I wasn't doubting you (sorry if it came across that way) But that is an insane amount of steps. 

Interestingly my best day was Wednesday, exploring the site for the first time. My worst day was Thursday, camping out Williams Green for a decent spot. (A mistake I'll never make again.)

8 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Oh I wasn't doubting you (sorry if it came across that way) But that is an insane amount of steps. 

Interestingly my best day was Wednesday, exploring the site for the first time. My worst day was Thursday, camping out Williams Green for a decent spot. (A mistake I'll never make again.)

I was one my own this year, so a lot more mobile than when I was with my partner. I do suspect that the Garmin is over clocking, and probably counting my pogo'ing to Amyl and the Sniffers. I'll try pulling the Google fit data from the phone and compare it.

2 hours ago, Neil said:

Yep shorts should be fine. 

26 minutes ago, 2019 said:

I was one my own this year, so a lot more mobile than when I was with my partner. I do suspect that the Garmin is over clocking, and probably counting my pogo'ing to Amyl and the Sniffers. I'll try pulling the Google fit data from the phone and compare it.

to be fair I thought that of mine, but the km clocked by GPS suggest it was accurate. I think it's generally 1.2k to 1.5k steps per km walked, depending on stride length. 

12 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Question:

I'm currently running lots due to London marathon training.

16 miles + 17 miles the last 2 weeks and this is only going to increase as the weeks progress.

When the feck am I going to start losing weight?!

When calorie intake is less than the calories you need to do all that you're doing.

<edit> 

sorry if the reply is a bit flippant 🙂

Edited by p.pete