Fitness for Glastonbury 2023

gigpusher

On 10/3/2022 at 4:52 PM, carlosj said:

council gym with a discounted membership (bonus!)

i've just had my doc refer me to the gym,  so that the nhs pay some of the cost.

did my walking football yesterday i'm sick of being the slowest on my feet (hence wanting the gym), there was two new guys yesterday, we've got 19 players now, including two women, lots of pisstaking about city and rovers, always good fun.

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

Just wondering if anyone else is waiting on the ballot result for the London Marathon today?

I can't remember how many times I've entered but not got a place but it's a LOT!

Oh good luck with it. My husband has retired from Marathon running but he got in on his 5th attempt but I know how lucky he was. One of my other friends has tried about 15 times and never managed to get in. It's why I strongly oppose a balloting system for Glastonbury. 

5 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Just wondering if anyone else is waiting on the ballot result for the London Marathon today?

I can't remember how many times I've entered but not got a place but it's a LOT!

I’m waiting, my first time applying so I’m not hopeful. Applied on a whim, now considering finding at alternative for when I enviably don’t get a slot for London. But I’ve never ran a marathon before so it’s a tad daunting!

Yes, also still waiting, though not hopeful as I ran this year off the back of a ballot entry (just very lucky).

My son in law also ran, first time ballot entry, we should have done the lottery!

Good luck all, you never know...

Update, unsuccessful for 2023, hopefully others fared better

Edited by oneeye

Finally arrived and it was the usual rejection.

Does anyone know how the whole running on behalf of a charity works? 

The target amount has always put me off given it's usually £2k+

Presumably they are satisfied if they can see you've put in the effort to get close to the target even if you don't reach it?

11 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Presumably they are satisfied if they can see you've put in the effort to get close to the target even if you don't reach it?

This might not help but you never know 

23 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Got a GFA for London. 😎

That's my focus now, gfa in 2 years time when I'll be 60, 3:40 will be the aim, and to think I ran 3:08 in 2012 as gfa (never did break 3hrs), endurance is still there but speed has dropped off a cliff 😄

57 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I ran it for Whizz Kids in 2015 and the charities are usually relaly supportive and give lots of help/ides to raise the money. Uusally you get quite a while after to contunue raising funds if you dont meet it by the day. Sense are asking for £1700 which is quite low.

Edited by Nestacres

23 minutes ago, oneeye said:

That's my focus now, gfa in 2 years time when I'll be 60, 3:40 will be the aim, and to think I ran 3:08 in 2012 as gfa (never did break 3hrs), endurance is still there but speed has dropped off a cliff 😄

yeah, it is kind of depressing how slow down with age. I guess eventually you just stop!

Good luck on getting that GFA in a few years.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

There is a group of around 10 of us who have all tried for 10 years+ and not a single one has even been successful in the ballot!

I've been lucky enough to run it 6 times over a 30 year stretch, more rejections overall though. 

Got really into the idea of doing ultras in lockdown and quickly got a big goal in my head to run Lakeland 100 (and a pipe dream goal of doing the Bob Graham Round).  Managed to get a qualifying time for the 2024 edition of LL100 by completing Lakes in a Day 50 a few weeks ago in 13 hours 40 odd minutes.

For next year I’m in for Centurion’s South Downs Way 50 and also planning on doing either of the shorter Ultra Trail Snowdonia races.  I’ve also entered Trionium’s events in the Surrey hills (Knackercracker, Leith Hill half and the Midsummer Munroe - which all look a lot of fun, allegedly UK’s “hardest” 10k and Half Marathons).  

Anyone else here into their trail running/ultras?  

8 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Got really into the idea of doing ultras in lockdown and quickly got a big goal in my head to run Lakeland 100 (and a pipe dream goal of doing the Bob Graham Round).  Managed to get a qualifying time for the 2024 edition of LL100 by completing Lakes in a Day 50 a few weeks ago in 13 hours 40 odd minutes.

For next year I’m in for Centurion’s South Downs Way 50 and also planning on doing either of the shorter Ultra Trail Snowdonia races.  I’ve also entered Trionium’s events in the Surrey hills (Knackercracker, Leith Hill half and the Midsummer Munroe - which all look a lot of fun, allegedly UK’s “hardest” 10k and Half Marathons).  

Anyone else here into their trail running/ultras?  

I've signed up for Rombalds Stride which takes place early February. Approx 24 miles over Ilkley Moor and local areas. Also signed up for Chevin Dash (Boxing Day, so no booze on Xmas Day!) It's 7 miles but again, up over big steep hills and stuff. 

I'm also going to attempt to run/jog/canter the Harrogate Ringway Walk this coming Saturday (22 miles).

• 2 weeks later...

The thing I found the hardest about Glasto last year was how much my feet, lower back and legs were done after a day walking and standing around the site. It meant I was done after the headliner, and did not get to go out out any of the nights of the festival. 

I am on a fitness journey now - swimming and running most days. But I would love some advice on how to get around that specific issue now that I have my ticket secured for 2023. 

Thank you!

On 7/5/2022 at 4:18 PM, Digi said:

I think adding some weights is going to be my next thing. Cardiovascular wise I'm OK I guess. I am defintely NOT strong though. I have access to loads of strength classes via Peloton but just can't really motivate myself when it comes to weight training. Any tips? 🙂

I really love the strength classes! Because there are so many options, why not try out a couple of short ones first to see what you like then build it up? When I’m limited on time (or energy!), I like doing a 10 minute stretch, 15 minute workout, then 10 minute stretch again. I quickly found who were my favourite instructors, etc and it became quite addictive 😊 Though the shorter classes can be a bit more intense as there’s less time for breaks

On 7/7/2022 at 8:53 PM, Crazyfool01 said:

Basically I need to keep my sugars within a range … too high and I shouldn’t exercise too low and I should stop and eat carbs therefore defeating the point of the excercise … it is possible as has been proven by Gary Mabutt and Steve Redgrave both famous sportsmen with type 1 .. I’ll probably need to seek some decent advice though … it’s not gonna be easy but it is possible … excercise type won’t really matter … they will just effect in different ways and at different speeds 

Some craic isn’t it 😂 I’ve found that reducing my insulin a bit, then exercising about an hour before my next meal works best… when the previous insulin has started to wear off. But even then, it doesn’t always work that way. It’s exhausting sometimes. 

On 10/25/2022 at 9:14 AM, sfroml said:

I've signed up for Rombalds Stride which takes place early February. Approx 24 miles over Ilkley Moor and local areas. Also signed up for Chevin Dash (Boxing Day, so no booze on Xmas Day!) It's 7 miles but again, up over big steep hills and stuff. 

I'm also going to attempt to run/jog/canter the Harrogate Ringway Walk this coming Saturday (22 miles).

Awesome!  How did the Ringway Walk go?  Impressive to go for a Boxing Day race, although I'm in for one on New Years Day - not sure which is worse haha!