Fitness for Glastonbury 2023

gigpusher

I feel that you are @Alvoram, like me, a carb lover. I am in no way saying "do keto" or some crazy thing like that, but have you tried replacing the rice/pasta by something like pulses or those weird asian noodles that are basically water + seaweed gelatine? They are gross but with a good amount of curry/bolognese on top it's doable. They do tend to " help digestion"  though. Just a warning.

Now everyone, give me 10 sit ups!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, moogster said:

I feel that you are @Alvoram, like me, a carb lover. I am in no way saying "do keto" or some crazy thing like that, but have you tried replacing the rice/pasta by something like pulses or those weird asian noodles that are basically water + seaweed gelatine? They are gross but with a good amount of curry/bolognese on top it's doable. They do tend to " help digestion"  though. Just a warning.

On a Sunday ? 😂

15 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Just checking, is this a thread for fit people talking about doing fit things to stay fit? Or for unfit people to try and get fit for the festival? 

Because I’m very definitely in one group but not the other. 

One important thing is that whatever fitness regime you embark on it has to be tailored to your age and current level of fitness/activity. Build up fitness gradually . No use hammering your body and ending up with damaged ankles, strains etc. Even fast walking is good for physical and mental health. Remember you can walk 15 and more miles a day at the festival . I’m lucky enough to have lots of accessible hills on my doorstep, that’s always been how I exercise. 

8 hours ago, Alvoram said:

I'm up for some friendly step challenge days if you want, and if it will help. A bit of friendly competition was another helpful factor for me last time. 

Back then I was using a fitbit rather than an Apple Watch, and I was noticing I was often getting 30-40k steps. So I spent one day just trying to get the 50k badge, I walked around the country park for most of the day, just for a silly virtual badge. I got it though, before my friends. 🙈😂

Other than my phone which I don't always carry I actually don't have a fitness tracker anymore. Maybe if there's a good sale on one on Boxing day. Glad to hear you say appearance isn't a factor for me fitness is the goal rather than weight loss. Weight loss will inevitably be  a result but I always like to focus on more fitness goals. If I know I am doing enough exercise and eating well then I would rather not focus on the numbers on the scales. Particularly as a woman I know the scales can vary a lot just because of hormones so other than maybe a monthly step on the scales it's never been a good metric for me to focus on. 

4 hours ago, kalifire said:

Just checking, is this a thread for fit people talking about doing fit things to stay fit? Or for unfit people to try and get fit for the festival? 

Because I’m very definitely in one group but not the other. 

Absolutely for both the extremely fit can hopefully be an inspiration for those of us who just want to be a bit fitter next time around!! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

Other than my phone which I don't always carry I actually don't have a fitness tracker anymore. Maybe if there's a good sale on one on Boxing day. Glad to hear you say appearance isn't a factor for me fitness is the goal rather than weight loss. Weight loss will inevitably be  a result but I always like to focus on more fitness goals. If I know I am doing enough exercise and eating well then I would rather not focus on the numbers on the scales. Particularly as a woman I know the scales can vary a lot just because of hormones so other than maybe a monthly step on the scales it's never been a good metric for me to focus on. 

The daily weigh in is more to focus me for the day. I don't fret over the actual result, unless something is drastic. I do it first thing (well after a wee, every little helps lol.) And it just means I start the day focused on my goal. 

If you do pick one up, let us know, we can decide on some challenge days and push each other 🙂 

9 hours ago, moogster said:

Definitely!!! But it's more bread, potatoes and pasta I struggle to cut, rather than sugar, I can easily live without sugary food and drink.

I react very well to Keto, I don't mind doing it for a month or so at a time if I need an extra weight loss boost. The weight loss is drastic, but it's a drastic diet. The problem is I struggle to exercise as well on it, so fitness isn't really helped. I mean, I can walk etc fine, but for some reason I struggle on long jogs when on Keto. Maybe it's psychological. 

Anyway, I know you weren't suggesting Keto, but I just wanted to get that out there. As for Konjac flour (if that's how you spell it?) I don't mind it, you can get pasta made with it too. Cauliflower rice works well with curries too. If I'm going low carb I make a killer pizza base with mostly baked eggs and cheese, and there's always the '90 second' keto bread. 🙂 

14 hours ago, Alvoram said:

I react very well to Keto, I don't mind doing it for a month or so at a time if I need an extra weight loss boost. The weight loss is drastic, but it's a drastic diet. The problem is I struggle to exercise as well on it, so fitness isn't really helped. I mean, I can walk etc fine, but for some reason I struggle on long jogs when on Keto. Maybe it's psychological. 

Keto, or aiming for ketosis, definitely is an extreme diet.  If you can drastically cut down on (but not out) carbs that'd be amazing, but anything that rebounds after a month isn't worth bothering with.  It sounds like you're flat out for a few days of the week, generally we don't need nearly as much carbs as many of us eat - nutritionally there isn't much going on in bread and pasta (potatoes are a bit better) - unless you're training for a triathlon or something.  If you have managed to do the Keto diet previously, and are day-to-day running about on your feet already, I'm impressed you included any level of exercise on top!  Definitely might be psychological, but definitely the right attitude to want to keep up physical health alongside nutrition.  If you are trying any diet changes again you can probably do yourself a favour and (temporarily at least) ease off on exercise, e.g. shorter/slower jogs.

As a side note I don't know how people can afford keto these days... Makes it a bit complex for me additionally as I am pretty much fully vegetarian/ veering towards vegan. 

But one substitution a day of carbs by let's say cauliflower rice or whatever one fancies does work quite well.

Right now though I am not really looking forward the Xmas break and being fed the traditional French Xmas diet 😶. No cauliflower rice or vegetarian option there, I can tell you that much...

1 hour ago, moogster said:

As a side note I don't know how people can afford keto these days... Makes it a bit complex for me additionally as I am pretty much fully vegetarian/ veering towards vegan. 

But one substitution a day of carbs by let's say cauliflower rice or whatever one fancies does work quite well.

Right now though I am not really looking forward the Xmas break and being fed the traditional French Xmas diet 😶. No cauliflower rice or vegetarian option there, I can tell you that much...

Yes I find when I am trying to be healthy just reducing slightly the potato, rice, pasta, bread part of my meal and increasing slightly the vegetable or protein part of your meal can make a big difference. I don't really believe in demonising any one food group but when you are eating less it's pretty obvious that they aren't as nutritious as the vegetables etc. 

I just had chocolate as part of my breakfast. That’s balanced, right??

Seriously though, I need to shift a couple of stone, that’s to be in tip top shape, a stone or a stone and a half would be fine. My main issue, aside from chocolate for breakfast, is a 1 year old baby. Turns out they really take up a lot of time. Each time I think I’ve got a good exercise routine something changes, work or home life, which throws it off.

Anyone in the same situation, or has been and has any advice / tips? Previously I’ve always been able to exercise on works time, but that doesn’t really work in my current role.

3 minutes ago, Willy-wam-wam-wozzle said:

cacao is a plant. Sugar comes from plant too. Some protein and fats from the dairy. I don't see the issue with chocolate really 😁

The sub zero temperatures seem to make my lunch walk count double in my fitbit's metric (heart rate). 20 mn -> 200 calories burnt!

3 hours ago, moogster said:

cacao is a plant. Sugar comes from plant too. Some protein and fats from the dairy. I don't see the issue with chocolate really 😁

The sub zero temperatures seem to make my lunch walk count double in my fitbit's metric (heart rate). 20 mn -> 200 calories burnt!

Wonderful way of looking it at! Well done!

Your body must be burning more calories to keep warm?

27 minutes ago, Willy-wam-wam-wozzle said:

Wonderful way of looking it at! Well done!

Your body must be burning more calories to keep warm?

Yes and it's more of a fast walk with purpose as not to freeze than a gentle stroll looking at the birds and the trees and whatnot.

I really need to force myself to do that lunch walk, not only for general physical and mental health but because my last eye checked showed I am still getting more near sighted, even though I thought that middle age would stop that... So my eyes need some training too!

16 hours ago, moogster said:

Yes and it's more of a fast walk with purpose as not to freeze than a gentle stroll looking at the birds and the trees and whatnot.

I really need to force myself to do that lunch walk, not only for general physical and mental health but because my last eye checked showed I am still getting more near sighted, even though I thought that middle age would stop that... So my eyes need some training too!

Paul McCartney swears by eye yoga. 

On 12/12/2022 at 11:46 AM, Willy-wam-wam-wozzle said:

Seriously though, I need to shift a couple of stone, that’s to be in tip top shape, a stone or a stone and a half would be fine. My main issue, aside from chocolate for breakfast, is a 1 year old baby. Turns out they really take up a lot of time. Each time I think I’ve got a good exercise routine something changes, work or home life, which throws it off.

Anyone in the same situation, or has been and has any advice / tips? Previously I’ve always been able to exercise on works time, but that doesn’t really work in my current role.

The very best way I found was running - As all you need is a decent pair of trainers.

Also unlike a gym where you may need to drive there and back etc you can just get changed and go then quick shower after.

I started with couch to 5k in the first lockdown and done 2 half-marathons since then it's fantastic. 

When you get into it, 5k should take you around 30mins or less so it's great exercise in a short amount of time.

the gym is not my natural habitat, despite that i've taken to it more than i thought i would, a friendly personal trainer helps. i've had to skip today's session because i can't put on clothes that are warm enough for going outside to get to the gym. a one sided body makes for a shit life. i don't have many warm items ( coats, etc) that i can actually put on myself.

i often  ask someone walking down the street to help me, they always do because people are nice.

57 minutes ago, moogster said:

DId you get your massage @Neil?

i did it was good, but unfortunately i was unwell from getting motion sickness on the way there, so that was a bit awkward, the masseur (a physiotherapy student) was a trooper, and worked around that. the main problem was spasms in my quadracep,  which seem to have lessened, a good result, will try to have some more in the new year.if it elps, and is free, why not?