Arctic Monkeys

FloorFiller

arctic monkeys are still on the poster which was just posted, i think we can take that as a sign that they are still playing and the band have probably confirmed to the festival this morning that alex will be ok

Edited by emi10

14 hours ago, Pr0paneNightm4re said:

I wouldn’t take anyone suggesting Lewis Capaldi as a headliner seriously. 
That being said, he’d be a better fit than Royal Blood 😬

We're in a multiverse where Lewis Capaldi is headlining Reading Festival tbf (albeit in that weird two main stage thing they now insist on doing). I suspect he'd draw a crowd at least.

So after all the talk of them pulling something special out of the bag for Glastonbury and possibly bringing back a couple of old tunes for good measure, and they play possibly the most uninspired setlist of their tour yet, with even less Whatever songs than they’ve been playing for the rest of the tour 😄

Was it as dull as it looked on TV, or is this a case of it being far better in the field than what the beeb have captured?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

So after all the talk of them pulling something special out of the bag for Glastonbury and possibly bringing back a couple of old tunes for good measure, and they play possibly the most uninspired setlist of their tour yet, with even less Whatever songs than they’ve been playing for the rest of the tour 😄

Was it as dull as it looked on TV, or is this a case of it being far better in the field than what the beeb have captured?

AM have been dull for years. Saw them on their last tour and was actually bored for most of it. I actually thought their set yesterday was pretty good for them.

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Yep, it was dull as f**k. Boring, slow, set list all over the place.

Zero interaction with the crowd, gutted I dropped the Chemicals for that horror show.

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

It was just as dull in the crowd. We were at the back of the field and it was busy but not crazy. As they played, more and more people disappeared. By the end of the performance there was loads of space and we could have walked down the field to a better position if we wanted to. 

The thing that struck me was that the crowd was so quiet between songs and I noticed that a lot of people sat down during the boring bits…and there were lots of them!

The strangest Pyramid headliner experience I’ve had. Let’s see how GnR do tomorrow. 

No one in my group was particularly fussed to see them, either because they'd seen them loads before or didn't care for them at all. As it went, nostalgia won out so we ended up right at the top by the pylon. We had a great time - but that was likely due to our being absolutely wasted, coasting on the high of the vibes from Fred, and being endlessly amused that a friend who had claimed to not know anything about the Arctics knew every word to every other song. Fair to say though that the memories from that gig will have been entirely made by each other in our own company, rather than what was going on on stage.

• Upvote 2

They were great when I went to the Middlesbrough show a few weeks back and other UK dates sounded great on YouTube recordings. Yet here something just felt off. I think the other stages sounded better than the Pyramid on the BBC's streams, so that could be one thing, or maybe they weren't 100% over the bugs (it was implied that not only Alex Turner was ill this week, hence the Dublin show being in the bin).

I dunno. I think it's histrionic to claim, as some did, that they ruined their legacy with this show. Some of it was good - I like the crunchy slowed-down Crying Lightning solo, Pretty Visitors was excellently chaotic, the new version of 4/5 actually sounded quite good, the crowd looked really up for that run of Fluorescent, Do I Wanna Know and Mardy Bum, Body Paint is great fun live and I liked Alex ad-libbing most of Star Treatment onto I Wanna Be Yours. But it just felt like it never reached true lift-off in a way it did in 2013 or in person a few weeks back and had quite a few guitar/drum flubs. Though at least the mistakes proves it's actually live.

I didn't see any Tweet saying they liked the 505 remix they're currently doing, which is one thing I can agree on. I'm not opposed to bands playing around with their music for concert tours, but this version is just a colossal downgrade on the original.

Edited by charlierc
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, charlierc said:

They were great when I went to the Middlesbrough show a few weeks back and other UK dates sounded great on YouTube recordings. Yet here something just felt off. I think the other stages sounded better than the Pyramid on the BBC's streams, so that could be one thing, or maybe they weren't 100% over the bugs (it was implied that not only Alex Turner was ill this week, hence the Dublin show being in the bin).

I dunno. I think it's histrionic to claim, as some did, that they ruined their legacy with this show. Some of it was good - I like the crunchy slowed-down Crying Lightning solo, Pretty Visitors was excellently chaotic, the new version of 4/5 actually sounded quite good, the crowd looked really up for that run of Fluorescent, Do I Wanna Know and Mardy Bum, Body Paint is great fun live and I liked Alex ad-libbing most of Star Treatment onto I Wanna Be Yours. But it just felt like it never reached true lift-off in a way it did in 2013 or in person a few weeks back and had quite a few guitar/drum flubs. Though at least the mistakes proves it's actually live.

I didn't see any Tweet saying they liked the 505 remix they're currently doing, which is one thing I can agree on. I'm not opposed to bands playing around with their music for concert tours, but this version is just a colossal downgrade on the original.

They set a very high bar in 2013 and thats the standard that anything they do will be compared to.

I think they got it wrong yesterday. I enjoyed it but the setlist should have been different to get in more classics.

I’m sure the people who I know who were there will have had a great time and thats what its all about at the end of the day really - having a sing song and a laugh with your mates. Who cares if it wasn’t as perfect as you’d hoped.

I loved it and so did the majority of people around me. Also surrounded by loads of kids on coke and doing balloons wandering aimlessly through the crowd looking for their mates. Seemed like for Arctics and Foos, loads of people felt like they had to be there rather than wanted to be. The girl behind me moaned the whole time about how much she hates them, and made fun of me for cheering 🤷‍♀️ Heard all the songs I wanted to hear and didn’t expect much crowd interaction as he never does. 

12 minutes ago, Monty Pythagoras said:

They set a very high bar in 2013 and thats the standard that anything they do will be compared to.

I think they got it wrong yesterday. I enjoyed it but the setlist should have been different to get in more classics.

I’m sure the people who I know who were there will have had a great time and thats what its all about at the end of the day really - having a sing song and a laugh with your mates. Who cares if it wasn’t as perfect as you’d hoped.

2013 was an all timer for me, unbelievable set, I watched the encore with the strings right hand side of stage near the bar and it was just absolutely stunning, they really made it special. 

Fast forward ten years and watching it on tv it bored me to sleep. Where was the effort to top what they did 10 years ago, the effort to make it memorable and special, Jamie cook looked bored out of his mind at times, absolutely shocking

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, LMK said:

The girl behind me moaned the whole time about how much she hates them, and made fun of me for cheering 🤷‍♀️

... then why bother? Ha. Surely a festival the size of Glastonbury has other options. It's not like Reading suddenly dispensing of its second stage and taking away the best option against the main stage headliner.