Arctic Monkeys

FloorFiller

10 hours ago, MaxPower said:

only if they thought moving the release date would have sold more records - it’s more likely the sales would have stayed roughly the same, it just would have been number 1.

Doesn’t getting to number 1 increase your sales though through more exposure/airtime. Or has that all changed with streaming being the way that most of us consume music?  The popularity probably changes the algorithm so it gets put in more mixes etc

On 10/28/2022 at 8:36 AM, Hugh Jass II said:

Had a week of trying to get into it and I’m ready to consign it to the pile of albums I rarely go back to. For such a short album it really struggles to hold my attention. A lot of it is style over substance and quite boring in places.

I do like Body Paint, but I’ve switched off well before the end of the album.

Pretty much exactly the same. Shame. 

Having taken a break from it for a few days I gave it another listen whilst cooking yesterday, so not "actively" listening.  Mirrorball, Ain't Quite Where I Think I Am and Hello You were the only ones I found myself humming along to, the rest just washed over me.  Undoubtedly the weakest release they've had.

40 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Having taken a break from it for a few days I gave it another listen whilst cooking yesterday, so not "actively" listening.  Mirrorball, Ain't Quite Where I Think I Am and Hello You were the only ones I found myself humming along to, the rest just washed over me.  Undoubtedly the weakest release they've had.

This sums up my problem with it too. Most of it I've already forgotten as soon as I've finished listening to it.

On 10/10/2022 at 6:44 PM, charlierc said:

On the Tranquility tour the piano was used for Four Out of Five, 505 and Star Treatment by Alex, with some of their additional live musicians playing on it on other songs (One Point Perspective being one such example).

From what I saw, however, he did not play the piano at all on stage during this summer's festival dates, but I heard he did play it at the NY King's Theatre gig a few weeks ago. So I guess we'll have to see what the balance is when more Car songs are added to the set.

Thanks for this.  I'm finding The Car surprisingly challenging listen.  The setlists are potentially going to be pretty languid.  Not sure how that will work for these huge UK gigs they have planned.

3 hours ago, Johndenis said:

Thanks for this.  I'm finding The Car surprisingly challenging listen.  The setlists are potentially going to be pretty languid.  Not sure how that will work for these huge UK gigs they have planned.

Me too. I mean, I hear it more as an album for doing Albert Hall shows with an orchestra rather than going fully the other way and playing 3 nights at the Emirates Stadium to 60k people in a giant football venue.

Although could well be it ends up being like the TBHC tour again where they only play about 4/5 songs off it and use a load of workhorses from previous records to fill things out instead.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

Me too. I mean, I hear it more as an album for doing Albert Hall shows with an orchestra rather than going fully the other way and playing 3 nights at the Emirates Stadium to 60k people in a giant football venue.

Although could well be it ends up being like the TBHC tour again where they only play about 4/5 songs off it and use a load of workhorses from previous records to fill things out instead.

saw them a few months ago and they only played one song off tbhc, they seem quite fond of greatest hits sets and their old music defo suits a football stadium

19 hours ago, emi10 said:

saw them a few months ago and they only played one song off tbhc, they seem quite fond of greatest hits sets and their old music defo suits a football stadium

About a third of the setlist tends to be AM though. I understand it's their most successful album, but it's still a bit weird as it's almost 10 years old now and hugely overrated. From the older material they also tend to play mostly the slower stuff and the couple of stadium lifting bangers they do sprinkle in between the ballads fail to keep the audience engaged.

That's my opinion obviously and surely there's people who will disagree. I'm not the one to moan about how they have a different sound than 15 years ago (there's some great songs on tranq and the car), it's just their live shows that sadly lack a spark and fall short of the mark (sorry, had to). Especially because they certainly have more than enough material for a proper stadium set. 

1 hour ago, clasher said:

About a third of the setlist tends to be AM though. I understand it's their most successful album, but it's still a bit weird as it's almost 10 years old now and hugely overrated. From the older material they also tend to play mostly the slower stuff and the couple of stadium lifting bangers they do sprinkle in between the ballads fail to keep the audience engaged.

That's my opinion obviously and surely there's people who will disagree. I'm not the one to moan about how they have a different sound than 15 years ago (there's some great songs on tranq and the car), it's just their live shows that sadly lack a spark and fall short of the mark (sorry, had to). Especially because they certainly have more than enough material for a proper stadium set. 

ive found that the older material that they play is mainly more upbeat now, would love to see a certain romance and some of the slower tracks from the first two albums. too much am tho i agree, esp when they add fireside and snap out of it (even tho fireside is my fav song from am lol)

Edited by emi10

2 hours ago, clasher said:

I saw them on the TBHC tour and it was weird then that they were playing more tracks from AM than the newest release. I consider AM their best album.... but it's just odd to be releasing an album and touring another. 

21 hours ago, Sparticus said:

I saw them on the TBHC tour and it was weird then that they were playing more tracks from AM than the newest release. I consider AM their best album.... but it's just odd to be releasing an album and touring another. 

I think someone said they started the tour with a lot more TBHC and as it went on they put more AM in. I saw them at the O2 and think they were down to about 3 from the new album by that point.

A shame really, because AM was the start of the decline for me. 

Humbug

WPSIATWIN

Favourite worst nightmare 

Suck it and See

AM

The Car

TBHC

Edited by Andy0808 v5
I’m an idiot.

1 minute ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

I think someone said they started the tour with a lot more TBHC and as it went on they put more AM in. I saw them at the O2 and think they were down to about 3 from the new album by that point.

A shame really, because AM was the start of the decline for me. 

Humbug

WPSIATWIN

Favourite worst nightmare 

AM

The Car

TBHC

SIAS not even worth mentioning?

SIAS (slowly became my firm favourite, perhaps partly because it's their last truly great album)
W.../FWN/Humbug (can't decide really, changed a couple of times through the years)
TBHC (should've been a turner solo album)
The Car (mirrorball is great, the rest might still grow on me)
AM

I’d say people are being harsh on AM! It’s a great album and was constantly in my ears in 2013/14. In fact, most on here raved about it at the time.

Still stands up IMO. I guess people maybe have fatigue on it now, but I reckon it will be seen as a classic in years to come.

Just now, 4AssedMonkey said:

I’d say people are being harsh on AM! It’s a great album and was constantly in my ears in 2013/14. In fact, most on here raved about it at the time.

Still stands up IMO. I guess people maybe have fatigue on it now, but I reckon it will be seen as a classic in years to come.

honestly loved them opening with do i wanna know too, really good way of getting people immersed in the set off the bat