Arctic Monkeys

FloorFiller

9 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Legit on the phone thing - had to ask someone (politely) to not record the entire Wet Leg gig I was at as I watching it through her phone. She was visibly annoyed and said “how else am I going to capture it?”

insane, really think gig etiquette went down the toilet with Covid.

Its just getting worse and worse I find, as the years go on people find it more 'normal' to film it rather than not.

15 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Extremely annoying Girl In Red auto plays after this single, because 5 times today I’ve looked up at my work computer screen and there’s been a pair of tits on it in the song artwork section 🙃

Oasis got back together?

30 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I think you guys are arguing past each other. That they're putting out new stuff that has a different vibe, while still mostly playing stuff from two albums ago live, and looking bored while playing that, all seems to make perfect sense.

Question is whether they pivot to a different live experience based around the new stuff, or just throw in a few tracks and continue to get bored playing an album from last decade.

Exactly - the spark is gone and the newer material doesn’t come across like their heart is in it. Maybe I’m just “projecting”, but something is definitely not working at the moment. It’s been going this way since AM.

38 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

You’re projecting feelings upon them. There’s absolutely no suggestion the band is having an “identity crisis” or any indication this project is any more an Alex project than the preceding 6 albums were - he has always been the primary song writer.

Well where are the other band members? Maybe they enjoy this slow lounge rock vibe, but there’s been a complete erosion of anyone else in the band making an impact other than Alex. Maybe they like it this way, but it’s highly uninspiring. 

Edited by Matt42

At the core of their entire discography is interesting lyrics. Tonally they've chopped and changed so much in 17(!) years since WPSIA.

Evolution is survival as a band and yeah it's not gonna be for everyone but I know people that didn't like them before TBHC but that album reached a part of their brain that the others hadnt before and now really like them. Crazy thought, people like different things in different ways and you can't quantify it.

They're still a huge band with a huge draw and a huge catalogue of singalong tunes, they'll sell out every tour they go on.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Exactly - the spark is gone and the newer material doesn’t come across like their heart is in it. Maybe I’m just “projecting”, but something is definitely not working at the moment. It’s been going this way since AM.

Well where are the other band members? Maybe they enjoy this slow lounge rock vibe, but there’s been a complete erosion of anyone else in the band making an impact other than Alex. Maybe they like it this way, but it’s highly uninspiring. 

How could you possibly know that the other band members havent had an impact? This stinks of an opinion you're pushing as fact

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I don’t really get this point. If their heart wasn’t in it, surely they’d just release a safe, generic album that appeases their more vocal critics? Instead they keep changing their sound and trying new things. There are bands out there who do seem to release an album every few years for the sake of it but I don’t see how that’s the case for Arctic Monkeys at all. It would be a lot easier for them to just tour anyway or release Favourite Worst Nightmare part two, rather than continue to do what they want even if that means alienating some of their older fanbase. Admittedly they’re so big now that even a slight dip in popularity will keep them at the top, but it’s a lot braver to release this as a single than a generic guitar led song.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Why do you speak with conviction on matters you know nothing about? Maybe in 5 years we get an article about how Alex was a megalomaniac force within the band but right now we don't know anything.

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean their heart isn't in it.

Just now, kingcrawler said:

I don’t really get this point. If their heart wasn’t in it, surely they’d just release a safe, generic album that appeases their more vocal critics? Instead they keep changing their sound and trying new things. There are bands out there who do seem to release an album every few years for the sake of it but I don’t see how that’s the case for Arctic Monkeys at all. It would be a lot easier for them to just tour anyway or release Favourite Worst Nightmare part two, rather than continue to do what they want even if that means alienating some of their older fanbase. Admittedly they’re so big now that even a slight dip in popularity will keep them at the top, but it’s a lot braver to release this as a single than a generic guitar led song.

Let's also be real, AM coming out with an album reminiscent of their old albums would be embarrassing. Like others have stated, these guys are in their 30s, minted and have travelled the world. I don't think they're gonna be singing about a chippy tea from Attercliffe anymore.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, scatteredscreens said:

Let's also be real, AM coming out with an album reminiscent of their old albums would be embarrassing. Like others have stated, these guys are in their 30s, minted and have travelled the world. I don't think they're gonna be singing about a chippy tea from Attercliffe anymore.

Absolutely and I reckon a lot of the people who don’t like the new stuff would be equally as critical of a half-arsed album that sounds like the older stuff. It’s ok to not like it, I completely get why people might not enjoy listening to this new song or the last album, but surely it’s a lot more interesting for them to release the music they enjoy writing and want to make?

@Matt42What do you mean that “something isn’t working”?

This isn’t a dig or anything, I’m just curious to know what you mean exactly. 

Because albums going to number 1, massive hype over new material and a tour and a gargantuan Reading crowd doesn’t scream everything’s gone tits up. 

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Well what were the reviews from people who saw them at Reading? Looking at the R&L thread it’s not exactly positive. Of course they will get a big crowd, it’s the Arctic monkeys. 

I’ve not read reviews, but I’ve seen the footage on iPlayer. 

Fans belting out tracks word for word, 10s of thousands bouncing along, happy faces everywhere. 

Seemed like a home run to me. 

I would also say the lead up and hype before tranquility and even AM was much larger than this. When they dropped do I wanna know it was like the world paused. I was there and I remember it. The energy around the band just feels completely off. I’m not the only person who has noticed it.

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I would also say the lead up and hype before tranquility and even AM was much larger than this. When they dropped do I wanna know it was like the world paused. I was there and I remember it. The energy around the band just feels completely off. I’m not the only person who has noticed it.

So in summary your criticism comes down to 'the vibes ain't right' 

10 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

So in summary your criticism comes down to 'the vibes ain't right' 

Something that’s been progressively growing since I saw them last in 2014, yes. I saw them a lot in 2014 and felt very disappointed each time. I look at their performances and the output since and it hasn’t got me back on the bandwagon. Yeah the vibes ain’t right, and they haven’t been right for a long time.

When I saw them at TITP they looked like a band who had just had enough, and didn’t enjoy playing their own songs. I look at them now and I get the same feeling.

Just now, Matt42 said:

Something that’s been progressively growing since I saw them last in 2014, yes. I saw them a lot in 2014 and felt very disappointed each time. I look at their performances and the output since and it hasn’t got me back on the bandwagon. Yeah the vibes ain’t right, and they haven’t been right for a long time.

When I saw them at TITP they looked like a band who had just had enough, and didn’t enjoy playing their own songs. I look at them now and I get the same feeling.

Becoming millionaires and living the sweet life in LA most certainly plays some part in that.
They are now making the music they want to, and don’t need to care if people like it or not. 

14 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Just going by your posts on here, do you not thing that some of it might be you that's changed?  You seem much more interested in other types of artist these days? 

I think they are producing music that they like, because they can.  Lets face it, if AT wanted to be a solo artist he would and if the others didn't like the direction they wouldn't have gone along with it.  Sure, I was hoping the new album would be more AM than TBHC but that's just my taste. 

20 minutes ago, stuie said:

Just going by your posts on here, do you not thing that some of it might be you that's changed?  You seem much more interested in other types of artist these days? 

I think they are producing music that they like, because they can.  Lets face it, if AT wanted to be a solo artist he would and if the others didn't like the direction they wouldn't have gone along with it.  Sure, I was hoping the new album would be more AM than TBHC but that's just my taste. 

Woah let’s not get too deep.

1 hour ago, scatteredscreens said:

We've got the Reytons for that too.