Arctic Monkeys

FloorFiller

3 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Maybe not, but they're sheffield wed fans and doubt they'd do a stadium tour without it

Yeah I'm a Wednesday fan myself so obviously I have a lot of love for the stadium for that reason, but in terms of facilities and potential as a music venue it's about as backwards and terrible as you can get tbh. Terribly crammed concourses and severely outdated food stalls. 

It would hugely surprise me, especially as Wednesday remain poor on a commercial level.

7 minutes ago, mttJ said:

Crazy how many people I know who went to R&L most excited for AM who came back with absolutely nothing positive to say. Absolute carbon copy of my 2014 experience.

I'm fed up of people gushing over 505. Jesus Christ it's becoming insufferable. It's a nice track but the level of hype is a joke at this point, especially considering the lack of fanfare other (subjectively better) tracks get

• Upvote 1

Just watched the Reading set. Has the crowd always been that young? Just screaming teenage girls, I'm told Leeds was the the same.

These current dates are clearly the start of what's to come - I imagine the other tour stuff (May/June stadium dates, plus whatever is to come Feb - April) is gonna be announced around October when the album drops, maybe September when they drop the first single.

The setlist will clearly change considerably come 2023, though this does seem a strange way of doing things.

1 hour ago, mufcok said:

Just watched the Reading set. Has the crowd always been that young? Just screaming teenage girls, I'm told Leeds was the the same.

These current dates are clearly the start of what's to come - I imagine the other tour stuff (May/June stadium dates, plus whatever is to come Feb - April) is gonna be announced around October when the album drops, maybe September when they drop the first single.

The setlist will clearly change considerably come 2023, though this does seem a strange way of doing things.

re. Reading, yes. will be particularly bad for AM i'd imagine though

shows pre album and then the main tour is fairly common, the band did it before for AM which released in August 2013 - doing glastonbury and a whole bunch of other european stuff before release

see this setlist for instance - https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/arctic-monkeys/2013/worthy-farm-pilton-england-bd91142.html

1 minute ago, gfa said:

re. Reading, yes. will be particularly bad for AM i'd imagine though

shows pre album and then the main tour is fairly common, the band did it before for AM which released in August 2013 - doing glastonbury and a whole bunch of other european stuff before release

see this setlist for instance - https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/arctic-monkeys/2013/worthy-farm-pilton-england-bd91142.html

Perfect setlist.

1 hour ago, SleepingGiants said:

Yeah I'm a Wednesday fan myself so obviously I have a lot of love for the stadium for that reason, but in terms of facilities and potential as a music venue it's about as backwards and terrible as you can get tbh. Terribly crammed concourses and severely outdated food stalls. 

It would hugely surprise me, especially as Wednesday remain poor on a commercial level.

Orlando Trustful

Watched the Reading footage on iPlayer and yeah… they’re just fine. I’m by no means the biggest Arctics fan so I’d struggle to properly suggest alternatives that they should be playing, but it really does seem like they’ve just been playing more or less the same setlist for almost a decade now, and some of the older songs that they do play and have been setlist mainstays for forever they don’t even play particularly well (looking at you, Do Me a Favour).

Would like to think they’ll proper shake things up when the new album comes out and bring back some lesser played old stuff, but I think they’re just gonna end up sticking with the same basic setlist once again with a few new’uns chucked in to replace some of the more interesting stuff they’re currently playing (That’s Where You’re Wrong, Potion Approaching etc). 

Also you could almost hear the audible groan when they opened the encore with One Point Perspective. Crowd of people hoping for When the Sun Comes Down and they’re given that instead 😅

I was at Leeds so obviously didn’t see the Reading set. Is that the only one available online? 

I have no complaints about the performance from them. From my POV everyone was absolutely loving it. 

Well apart from one kid that had overdone it. 

Arctics closing the festival was the perfect finale. Obviously at Reading you’ll get a different feeling. 

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

Arctics closing the festival was the perfect finale. 

Yeah I think they'll be overclassed quickly if someone played after him. At Rock Werchter 2018 Nick Cave co-headlined with AM and put Alex & co to shame. After the thrilling show from the Bad Seeds, the Monkeys' set felt a bit... tame. 

3 hours ago, mufcok said:

What do you mean here - gigs they're doing elsewhere before the UK tour?

On 8/28/2022 at 1:01 AM, SleepingGiants said:

June 2nd and 3rd... The same dates when plans are approved for new festival COSMIC also in Hillsborough Park. (https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/sheffield-getting-new-music-festival-21344577) Run by SGM, who closely tied with AM...

Are AM playing COSMIC, or is COSMIC just a front for AM gig?

There is a timeline to clear up:

1st Application - Plans for AM gigs at Hillsborough PARK. The band changed their plans and went on an autumn/winter arena tour.

2nd Application - An event called COSMIC by SJM. Still an open licence and application for Hillsborough park

3rd Application - June 2023 are suggested dates, no mention of COSMIC on the application. Licence and application approved by the council.

The original plans for these gigs was always AM. So there is a very good chance it's still AM for Hillsborough Park, otherwise SJM could host a festival similar to Tramlines. Although, not sure what the benefit to SJM would be to copycat Tramlines locally. It makes more sense they have a local act/s lined up. 

Edited by JBarbour
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, JBarbour said:

There is a timeline to clear up:

1st Application - Plans for AM gigs at Hillsborough PARK. The band changed their plans and went on an autumn/winter arena tour.

2nd Application - An event called COSMIC by SJM. Still an open licence and application for Hillsborough park

3rd Application - June 2023 are suggested dates, no mention of COSMIC on the application. Licence and application approved by the council.

The original plans for these gigs was always AM. So there is a very good chance it's still AM for Hillsborough Park, otherwise SJM could host a festival similar to Tramlines. Although, not sure what the benefit to SJM would be to copycat Tramlines locally. It makes more sense they have a local act/s lined up. 

Thanks for your Sheffield events insight as always. Makes sense that these gigs are for AM and maybe Pulp, would assume Pulp would be elsewhere though if they're doing a Sheffield gig. I think back when they were last here it was at Sheffield Arena.

5 hours ago, TheBoz said:

The Don Valley Bowl gigs on the SIAS tour were the best i've seen them. The whole band seemed well up for it. Can't believe they never released the full pro footage

Tbf the Mexico City show on the TBHC Tour also looked great when they filmed that and they also chose to only release a short clip rather than a full thing. Which is consistent if nowt else.

Though yes, this show looked awesome. Even just the raw rushes from YouTube cameras in the crowd still held up well.

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Watched the Reading footage on iPlayer and yeah… they’re just fine. I’m by no means the biggest Arctics fan so I’d struggle to properly suggest alternatives that they should be playing, but it really does seem like they’ve just been playing more or less the same setlist for almost a decade now, and some of the older songs that they do play and have been setlist mainstays for forever they don’t even play particularly well (looking at you, Do Me a Favour).

Would like to think they’ll proper shake things up when the new album comes out and bring back some lesser played old stuff, but I think they’re just gonna end up sticking with the same basic setlist once again with a few new’uns chucked in to replace some of the more interesting stuff they’re currently playing (That’s Where You’re Wrong, Potion Approaching etc). 

Also you could almost hear the audible groan when they opened the encore with One Point Perspective. Crowd of people hoping for When the Sun Comes Down and they’re given that instead 😅

Middle paragraph is nail on the head i reckon

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

I think the last time they did R&L in 2014 is the last time they did When The Sun Goes Down.

Think I'd rather get that than Dancefloor tbf. That one sounded tired on the last tour whereas all the other first album stuff bought out actually did sound like they were still getting a kick out of playing it.

6 minutes ago, EighteenSixty7 said:

Had the time of my life last night at Leeds. Can’t wait for Kalorama now. 

There’d Better Be A Mirrorball dropping at midnight. 

should be good kalorama! great set of headliners for the 80 euros i paid!! super excited for 2manydjs too