LAWKS! It's the next announcement thread

jparx

2 minutes ago, ourkid1984 said:

I'm not sure but I read "let it happen" as in the announcement rather than making it on a celebratory day. 

They said they agree with me on diversity but we should just 'let it happen' 

Their original statement was because they don't like people focusing on female headliners. But there's a reason why it's important 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

*face palm* 🤦🏼‍♀️

Over the last 10 years only 6% of festival lineups have been female. 

Last year, at Glastonbury, male acts were almost double.

And as for 'Let it happen'.... what?! A well documented history of inequality, misogyny and abuse in the industry needs ACTIVE work to correct the imbalance...same as all inequalities. Not just 'letting it happen.'

And you're feeling like men are becoming 'less important' 😭 - that sounds like a you problem to me!

Might be off topic but this nonsense needs a response

Can't add any more reactions today but yes, too right. When we don't actively try and address prejudice progress does not happen. Glastonbury is doing way more than any other festival though and I for one am bloody grateful and glad of that!!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

They said they agree with me on diversity but we should just 'let it happen' 

Their original statement was because they don't like people focusing on female headliners. But there's a reason why it's important 

Ok, I was just quickly scanning over on my lunch break. I know how easy it is to come across wrong on places like this. Not defending anyone just saying it's hard to see what people really mean or what their intentions are.

2 hours ago, northernangel said:

I agree, but just let it happen. Ultimately there are more male acts around but Dua Lipa, Texas, Florence, Billie Eilish, Kylie, Miley, Laura Mvula, Sugababes, TLC, Lizzo, Maisie Peters, Carly Rae Jepson, Raye off the top of my head means they are booking female acts. There isn't as many female headliner options though.

Great maturity! 🙄🙄

I genuinely don't think I knew about this.

How did they even come from that

Nothing is embarrassing for me....you trot on and worry about yourself lol.

There was 9 female options on the Pyramid this year so if you include all of the acts apart from the choir options making 19 acts so about splits. To include them is 21 with 10 female options so again. 

For me, the lineup should consist of being as strong as it can regardless of who they book. There may be a case where they is just more male acts about which going to deep.

Yeah, absolutely. It should be about 50-50 every year, but if it tips one way or the other every now and again it's not a biggy. But historically, the lineup has been very male dominated, and even pretty recently. So there's no room for complacency. Gender equality will lead to a better lineup anyway, because it's not a case of female acts not being as "strong". It's about them not getting the opportunities that male acts get. Female bands are amazing at the moment, surpassing male acts, imo. If quality led to representation, then the lineup would be 70-30 in favour of women this year. But it won't be.

3 hours ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

*face palm* 🤦🏼‍♀️

Over the last 10 years only 6% of festival lineups have been female. 

Last year, at Glastonbury, male acts were almost double.

And as for 'Let it happen'.... what?! A well documented history of inequality, misogyny and abuse in the industry needs ACTIVE work to correct the imbalance...same as all inequalities. Not just 'letting it happen.'

And you're feeling like men are becoming 'less important' 😭 - that sounds like a you problem to me!

Might be off topic but this nonsense needs a response

I didn't say men are becoming less important, I said to recognize both but you don't need big international woman day announcements from Glastonbury for it. Just announce more female acts.

Crazy how things get made into such major problems here.

I never said just let abuse happen did it so you've pulled that out if your arse form nothing. Male acts just got booked because they did, so just book female acts because you want them and they fit.

To be fair I can't really call out the 6% as I've not gone through every stage. It cannot be denied though there has been larger male acts definitely at the start of this 10 year period than female acts. Huge pieces on here several years ago that if they aren't there, they can't be booked.

I agree with lots said. With all arguments.  Biggest issue is the "business" is run by one sector of society and needs rebalancing. This efestivals forum alone can be a very male dominant environment.  Not mens faults, but can feel intimidating at times.  Imagine that in the pro music business world! Apart from that. I REALLY want a poster!!! 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, northernangel said:

I didn't say men are becoming less important, I said to recognize both but you don't need big international woman day announcements from Glastonbury for it. Just announce more female acts.

Crazy how things get made into such major problems here.

I never said just let abuse happen did it so you've pulled that out if your arse form nothing. Male acts just got booked because they did, so just book female acts because you want them and they fit.

To be fair I can't really call out the 6% as I've not gone through every stage. It cannot be denied though there has been larger male acts definitely at the start of this 10 year period than female acts. Huge pieces on here several years ago that if they aren't there, they can't be booked.

Larger male acts because they've had the last 100 years of bias priming them for being headliners. I don't know if this is the case, but it sounds like you're saying men are just more talented. This isn't true, it's just because women don't get the same opportunity as men. If female acts get a fair crack, they will be seen as "big" acts. Equality has never been gained for anyone by "just letting it happen".

5 minutes ago, discgoesmic said:

This as well as Shangri-La and the random KOL upload from 2008… it must be very soon. We’ve had a few self confirmation as of late too!

Probably coincide but I’ve been hearing KOL a lot more of 6 Music this week. 

They couldn’t, could they?!?!

16 hours ago, CharlotteB said:

Yeah, absolutely. It should be about 50-50 every year, but if it tips one way or the other every now and again it's not a biggy. But historically, the lineup has been very male dominated, and even pretty recently. So there's no room for complacency. Gender equality will lead to a better lineup anyway, because it's not a case of female acts not being as "strong". It's about them not getting the opportunities that male acts get. Female bands are amazing at the moment, surpassing male acts, imo. If quality led to representation, then the lineup would be 70-30 in favour of women this year. But it won't be.

Emily has been very open previously about trying to achieve a 50/50 lineup, but has stopped mentioning it in recent years once she realised it's simply not possible in the current musical landscape.

36 minutes ago, jow95 said:

Emily has been very open previously about trying to achieve a 50/50 lineup, but has stopped mentioning it in recent years once she realised it's simply not possible in the current musical landscape.

She's still very open about 'trying' to achieve a gender balance, particularly on the top lines.  I don't think she's stopped mentioning it - she made noises like that in interviews last March and October.  

20 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

So doesn’t appear like it’s going to be today then 😞 

People whining they want the line up drops earlier and earlier is just silly IMO........people lose interest or non-obsessives forget who's even on the bill if the line up comes out too early.

I quite like when it drops in and around the balance payment because it helps retain a buzz for it, as you realise that the big artist that you love that's on the poster you'll be seeing them in 2-3 months. 

🙂 

2 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

People whining they want the line up drops earlier and earlier is just silly IMO........people lose interest or non-obsessives forget who's even on the bill if the line up comes out too early.

I quite like when it drops in and around the balance payment because it helps retain a buzz for it, as you realise that the big artist that you love that's on the poster you'll be seeing them in 2-3 months. 

🙂 

Personally think the way they do it normally is  on the money , the edginess this year has come from complete radio silence and no headliners … If they dropped us Coldplay early it would have made no difference to anything whatsoever . Apart from maybe the more casual fan who is yet to know this