LAWKS! It's the next announcement thread

jparx

14 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I completely agree with this in principle.  To be truly unbiased the only criteria should be "are they big/good enough?"  However as the music industry has evolved over many years - with only the last few really being more enlightened with regard to equality - it has become the case that those who are big/good enough are in the main, male oriented (and also guitar based rock/indie acts).  For that reason I think some positive discrimination is probably appropriate for now.

Exactly nothing ever changes otherwise. Also women are smashing it at the moment. It feels to me like the bias is still there when people talk about women being worthy of headlining like they need to be megastars whereas plenty of indie bands (some of whom have obviously gone onto bigger things than others) were given the opportunity pretty early in their careers.

2 hours ago, Drinky said:

Radiohead 2017 overtakes Oasis 2004 for me as the most disappointing return headliner  - the screens totally ruined it, with long silences between songs and little interaction with the audience unless you were inside the front barrier you were totally disconnected from it. I wish we’d left for the Flaming Lips an hour earlier

Agreed. I was so disappointed.

I left Radiohead early and legged it to the Park for Flaming Lips.

Not because they were boring but everyone stood near me couldn't seem to stop talking loudly through it and did my head in. 

I don't think Radiohead are everyone's cup of tea and it's certainly not pop music or filed under easy listening.

I get people might not be keen so why stand talking all the way through it's not like there isn't 90 odd plus other stages to find something you like!

• Upvote 1

Different strokes and all that, but Radiohead '17 is one of my top three Pyramid sets. This setlist manna from heaven for me:

Daydreaming
Lucky
Ful Stop
Airbag
15 Step
Myxomatosis
Exit Music (For A Film)
Pyramid Song
Everything In It’s Right Place
Let Down
Bloom
Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
Idioteque
You And Whose Army?
There There
Bodysnatchers
Street Spirit

No Surprises
Nude
2+2=5
Paranoid Android
Fake Plastic Trees

Lotus Flower
Creep
Karma Police

Edited by Joey Peeps
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Joey Peeps said:

Different strokes and all that, but Radiohead '17 is one of my top three Pyramid sets. This setlist manna from heaven for me:

Daydreaming
Lucky
Ful Stop
Airbag
15 Step
Myxomatosis
Exit Music (For A Film)
Pyramid Song
Let Down
Bloom
Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
Idioteque
You And Whose Army?
There There
Bodysnatchers
Street Spirit

No Surprises
Nude
2+2=5
Paranoid Android
Fake Plastic Trees

Lotus Flower
Creep
Karma Police

Yes indeed top set list.  I'm afraid I gave up long before the end for reasons mentioned. 

6 minutes ago, Superscally said:

They were incredible in Stafford, dunno which one you were at...

I was in Stafford too.  I didn't find them incredible at all - tedious,  pretty boring and both they and their fans seemed to take themselves so seriously.  We may have been too far back or maybe it wasn't just my thing, just shows we're all different.

8 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

I understand that she never said 2 confirmed but she did a podcast essentially focused on this second act and how they'd phoned them up recently etc etc. It immediately led to intense speculation when she could have just said nothing or been way less specific. If she was so disappointed in 0 females in 2023 why focus on there being 2 in 2024 if it isn;t gonna happen

Nah she was clearly referring to actual headliners. I don't remember Cat Stevens being considered a 4th headliner? They didn't even put him top line.

I think they worry too much. Anyone with half a brain can see the effort they make with gender diversity. Some things are out of their control.

Cat had said about Glastonbury previously that he was reluctant to do it cos of the focus it would put on him and drag up stuff from the past that he was trying to shake off.

So doing him low-ish profile fits with that. He might have asked for low profile or glasto might just have been sensitive towards what he'd said in the past. It's hard to be low profile when you're as famous as him.

7 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

I was in Stafford too.  I didn't find them incredible at all - tedious,  pretty boring and both they and their fans seemed to take themselves so seriously.  We may have been too far back or maybe it wasn't just my thing, just shows we're all different.

Sounds like you didn't want to be there tbf. It was rammed and the atmosphere was special. Setlist super good too. 

42 minutes ago, Popsider75 said:

I left Radiohead early and legged it to the Park for Flaming Lips.

Not because they were boring but everyone stood near me couldn't seem to stop talking loudly through it and did my head in. 

I don't think Radiohead are everyone's cup of tea and it's certainly not pop music or filed under easy listening.

I get people might not be keen so why stand talking all the way through it's not like there isn't 90 odd plus other stages to find something you like!

Drives me mad when I hear incessant chatter when music is playing. I do wonder if it is just me though. And to be fair I am also a pyramid flag hater. 

Edited by Mich1268
Missed last sentence

27 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Sounds like you didn't want to be there tbf. It was rammed and the atmosphere was special. Setlist super good too. 

Not sure what I've said to make you think that.  I did want to be there, I enjoyed listening to Radiohead at the time and I was looking forward to it but was disappointed.  Not sure what's difficult to understand.  You thought it was great, I didn't.

1 hour ago, Joey Peeps said:

Daydreaming
Lucky
Ful Stop
Airbag
15 Step
Myxomatosis
Exit Music (For A Film)
Pyramid Song
Let Down
Bloom
Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
Idioteque
You And Whose Army?
There There
Bodysnatchers
Street Spirit

No Surprises
Nude
2+2=5
Paranoid Android
Fake Plastic Trees

Lotus Flower
Creep
Karma Police

No Reckoner, no party 

• Like 1

Radiohead 17 I think you had to be a proper radiohead-head to be honest. As a passing fan around the time of The Bends and OK Computer, I found that show a bit dull. So left and went SEC 😂

8 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

Not sure what I've said to make you think that.  I did want to be there, I enjoyed listening to Radiohead at the time and I was looking forward to it but was disappointed.  Not sure what's difficult to understand.  You thought it was great, I didn't.

Your attitude towards the band, their fans and you stating you're a casual fan.

18 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

I understand that she never said 2 confirmed but she did a podcast essentially focused on this second act and how they'd phoned them up recently etc etc.

I think they worry too much. Anyone with half a brain can see the effort they make with gender diversity. Some things are out of their control.

She never said the big American act that had just called was female though, that was an assumption made elsewhere. On the October interview she said one Female headliner and a Female legend.

I agree with you they worry too much. It’s just the way of the world though that anything she says gets twisted and the Internet runs with it. You’re probably right that they’re better saying nothing because ‘maybe we’ll have 2 Female headliners next year, fingers crossed’ becomes ‘Glastonbury WILL have 2 Female headliners’ followed by outrage when that happens.

She could just stop doing interviews or say nothing beyond ‘we hope we’ll have a really good line up’ but then do we obsessives really want that? 

I do sometimes wonder if there’s an element of teasing too, using the same tactics O’Leary uses to keep Ryanair in the public eye. An interview that generates a bit of publicity is free but done well can go a long way

19 hours ago, gigpusher said:

I don't know that much derided Radiohead set was similarly career spanning. They even played Creep but if you only liked the first 2 albums and an artist has gone on to have 8-12 albums the small number you like won't be enough to sustain your interest. I think it's better for people to accept that for themselves though rather than blame the band for it. They moved on and you didn't move on with them. It's absolutely fine that happened in both directions but don't whinge because they refuse to go into some time machine and go back 20 years for the night at a festival. Go and see something else instead.

Similarly when people go to artists solo sets and complain that they are not playing their more famous band material when they are clearly doing the solo stuff to take a break from the more famous band.

I don’t really get how anyone can go to a Pyramid headliner set unprepared for what they’re going to play, or assuming they’ll just play e.g.the first two albums when they’ve done 10. An hour on Setlist.Fm and a streaming service and you’re up to date. Doesn’t take long and you may even discover some new songs you like.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MEGABOWL said:

I don’t really get how anyone can go to a Pyramid headliner set unprepared for what they’re going to play, or assuming they’ll just play e.g.the first two albums when they’ve done 10. An hour on Setlist.Fm and a streaming service and you’re up to date. Doesn’t take long and you may even discover some new songs you like.

Completely agree but chatting to people at Glastonbury I am frequently amazed by how many just stay at the Pyramid all day regardless and how little musical knowledge they appear to have.

1 hour ago, Superscally said:

Your attitude towards the band, their fans and you stating you're a casual fan.

I had listened to them a reasonable amount and liked them so was looking forward to seeing them.  My opinion of the band and their fans were formed after seeing them.  So still not sure why you thought I didn't want to be there.  I did otherwise I wouldn't have been there!  You seem to be offended that I didn't enjoy something that you liked.  

52 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Completely agree but chatting to people at Glastonbury I am frequently amazed by how many just stay at the Pyramid all day regardless and how little musical knowledge they appear to have.

Now I certainly don’t stay there all day or even go there at all some days but people forget Glastonbury isn’t just about the music. It’s a place friends can go and just enjoy the environment.  👍