The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

5 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

2017 was crazy hot Wed if I remember. Can't remember Thurs being as bad? 31 when we arrived. People were hiding in shade wherever they could. 

Thursday was nice and warm but the horrific wednesday heat had thankfully gone! 

2 minutes ago, Sasperella2 said:

I remember my wife and I had to take it in turns lying down in the shade of our tent (like, a space about 50cm wide and two metres long) because being inside the tent was roasting and there's almost zero shade in some of the campsites. We had to wait for our friends to turn up otherwise we'd of buggered off to a stage or somewhere else.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

5 minutes ago, Sasperella2 said:

My car read 37 when I arrived on Wednesday in 2017, and as we walked into the valley from the carparks we found the air getting warmer and more stifling. Later on that day I realised I'd drank 3l of water and 2.5l of cider without using the toilet!

Thursday dropped to a comparatively chilly 17 iirc

Edited by Fearless_Fish

53 minutes ago, Barneym said:

How hot was it officially on the Wednesday last year (which I’m my opinion was too hot but I know that’s subject to debate)

I think this is looking perfect so far, starting to pack today and wellies may not be coming out of the loft 

It got to 27c in Yeovilton on Wednesday last year.  It felt far warmer than that if I remember correctly…..

4 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I remember my wife and I had to take it in turns lying down in the shade of our tent (like, a space about 50cm wide and two metres long) because being inside the tent was roasting and there's almost zero shade in some of the campsites. We had to wait for our friends to turn up otherwise we'd of buggered off to a stage or somewhere else.

My friend and I were first to arrive and tried to put my six man tent up. One of those blue things with a room at either end and a tunnel in the middle.

By the time we got the outside bit up, the inside had become so instantaneously oven-like that we couldn't get in it to hang the rooms up. We just lay on the bone-dry ground sweating and thinking that it was five days to our next shower. 

14 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

2017 was crazy hot Wed if I remember. Can't remember Thurs being as bad? 31 when we arrived. People were hiding in shade wherever they could. 

You're right, Weds was the hottest day. Whole festival was dry I think but it did get very windy over the weekend.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Saturday am for certain. I remember having to run into the Cornish Arms to eat my breakfast.

Yes, I remember now on Sat morning. Watching Whitney play to a handful of people on the Other stage. It wasn't for that long but enough to see plenty of ponchos being put on.

3 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I remain firmly in the “trainers only” camp. I will hear nothing to the contrary.

Gives me flashbacks to when I turned up at Reading Festival in 2011 on a day trip to see Muse in brand new box-fresh white trainers to find the whole site was mud. Very much a bad idea that.

In retrospect I regret not going for that whole weekend (though didn't have the money at the time), but I suspect if I had done, I may have brought more suitable footwear given that Friday was spectacularly wet.

14 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It rained in 2017. Nothing heavy or threatening damage underfoot, but it still happened.

Definitely Sunday morning, it rained a little during Slaves opening slot. 

Anyway:

Boots, trainers, trainers, trainers, trainers. Answer those Wednesday boots could be swapped out.

4 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I remain firmly in the “trainers only” camp. I will hear nothing to the contrary.

What do you wear? I’ve got some adidas running trainers with plenty of support and cushioning as well as very breathable top mesh. 

Why anyone would want to stifle their feet in walking boots is beyond me. 

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

What do you wear? I’ve got some adidas running trainers with plenty of support and cushioning as well as very breathable top mesh. 

Why anyone would want to stifle their feet in walking boots is beyond me. 

Well, they look better with dresses for a start!