Primavera Sound Barcelona 2023 + Primavera Sound Madrid 2023

Fnmentaluk

Just now, pne094 said:

Oh oh. Didnt this cause a ton of complaints this year? People kind of ignore the ''subject to capacity'' thing. 

There were issues with the capacity at City gigs last year as they were way over subscribed. People queued hours and missed out etc. They were keen not to do a pre-booking system for free gigs as some people might not show up and therefore people just miss out, but surely the way to do is to have a pre-registration or lottery for gigs and then have the spares available on the door. Surely fewer people would wait outside knowing most of them were gone anyway. 

They did the pre-registration for the brunch on the beach, which seemed to piss people off as much as not doing it for the other shows too, though that largely seemed to be a combination of the fact that they had said brunch was included as part of your ticket and then just days before it, said you had to register. The registration period elapsed before a lot of people even saw the email too, hence the rage... I think.

4 minutes ago, ConfidenceMan said:

There were issues with the capacity at City gigs last year as they were way over subscribed. People queued hours and missed out etc. They were keen not to do a pre-booking system for free gigs as some people might not show up and therefore people just miss out, but surely the way to do is to have a pre-registration or lottery for gigs and then have the spares available on the door. Surely fewer people would wait outside knowing most of them were gone anyway. 

They did the pre-registration for the brunch on the beach, which seemed to piss people off as much as not doing it for the other shows too, though that largely seemed to be a combination of the fact that they had said brunch was included as part of your ticket and then just days before it, said you had to register. The registration period elapsed before a lot of people even saw the email too, hence the rage... I think.

You say over subscribed. But there was thousands of festival goers wanting to see some pretty big bands in small venues. For free. Not sure what else they could do

Or the people couldve paid the €15..

Edited by gingerevans84

58 minutes ago, neacaisa said:

The untrustworthy insider was right in every thing he said btw: medium sized pop star (halsey), kdot, blur, edm dj (calvin harris), lana and pheobe not being there, etc. 

Le: he also predicted ghost 🙂

Yes, fair play to @YunT - 100% spot on.

Unfortunately that's bad news for me, I don't like the line-up at all.

• Like 1

Pretty strong lineup for me, very very tempted with it!

Day 1: Pet Shop Boys, Confidence Man

Day 2: Blur, Central Cee, Loyle Carner, Pusha T, Rema, Black Country, New Road, Folamour, PinkPantheress, Self Esteem, Yard Act, Joe Unknown

Day 3: Kendrick Lamar, Baby Keem, Four Tet, Fred Again.., Skrillex, Bleachers, Alvvays, Cavetown, Channel Tres, Gabriels, Japanese Breakfast, Tems, TSHA, Yves Tumor, Georgia, The Beths

Day 4: Rosalía, Calvin Harris, Bad Gyal, FKA Twigs, St. Vincent, Caroline Polachek, Charlotte De Witte, Maggie Rogers, Arlo Parks, Death Grips, Jayda G, Jockstrap, JPEGMAFIA, Nia Archives, Overmono, Yung Lean

Day 5: Camelphat, Diplo

16 minutes ago, Etaish said:

...before i even start listening to all the undercard stuff I've never heard of, the card is already rammed. 

Thu: Blur, Darkside, NXWorries, Arthur Verocai, BCNR, HudMo, Comet is Coming

Fri: DM, Kendrick, Four Tet, Christine & The Queens, Channel Tres, Daphni, John Talabot, Julia Holter, Gaz Coombes, Upsammy

Sat: FKA Twigs, St. Vincent, John Cale, JPEGMAFIA, Avalon Emerson, Two Shell, Nuria Graham and (fingers crossed), Overmono doing the 3AM honors at the Rayban Stage.

Will be an absolute blast. Haters gonna hate...

no one is hating for the sake of it but with Calvin Harris skrillex etc people are disappointed because the festival is moving well away from what made it so good.

Primavera's draw is the crowd and music, its just going to become like every mainstream euro festival with that kind of crowd now. If you're hyped by that and that line up then that's great, enjoy

I don't think Skrillex and Calvin Harris are anywhere close. Skrillex got bad rep back in the day mainly because of teens and fans but his sets have tons of different things and he actually knows what he's doing live. Calvin Harris on the other hand kinda gave up on doing anything live, dude just plays 90 minutes of his music that seems very prerecorded with some fireworks in the background 

Edited by Nicklord

4 minutes ago, Field Commander Jefferson said:

no one is hating for the sake of it but with Calvin Harris skrillex etc people are disappointed because the festival is moving well away from what made it so good.

Primavera's draw is the crowd and music, its just going to become like every mainstream euro festival with that kind of crowd now. If you're hyped by that and that line up then that's great, enjoy

a line up including Swans, Yves Tumor, BCNR, John Cale and Darkside is hardly mainstream in my books. The magic was always in the diversity. I dislike Calvin Harris, Skrillex and Camelphat too but that just leaves way more space in the other stages...

6 minutes ago, Etaish said:

a line up including Swans, Yves Tumor, BCNR, John Cale and Darkside is hardly mainstream in my books. The magic was always in the diversity. I dislike Calvin Harris, Skrillex and Camelphat too but that just leaves way more space in the other stages...

I agree, but it becomes increasingly harder to justify going solely to undercard acts, when the price tag is at 325€

Another Problem I personally have with this line up is how many acts I've seen before. BCNR, Built to Spill, Rosalia, FKA Twigs  and Christine and the Queens are great acts, but I've caught most of them in 2019 so not that hyped about them

Edited by Quadrophobia

Absolutely loving this line up. Reading some of these comments, I just don't know what some people want or expect. I saw Rosalia earlier this week in Portugal, it was a great show and she is a worthy headliner, especially at a Spanish festival. Eddie Palmiera's album, Superimposition, is considered one of the best Latin albums of all time. Legend. FKA Twigs, Caroline Polachek, St Vincent, Tokischa, Maggie Rogers, Kelela and Charlotte de Witte, is a very strong female presence high up in a line up. John Cale and Laurie Anderson = more legends. And then Jockstrap and Death Grips and that is just Saturday...

12 minutes ago, Etaish said:

Primavera stopped being this super avantgarde festival years ago. If you want obscure stuff why dont you try festivals like Rewire and Le Guess Who?

Doesn't seem like Pull&Bear and Estrella has pulled out.

This is from the mail they sent out with the lineup: "Primavera Sound 2023 Barcelona - Madrid has the support of Estrella Damm, Cupra, Pull&Bear and Amazon Music as fundamental strategic partners: their commitment makes possible the challenge of uniting both cities through the festival we believe in, both musically and in everything that surrounds it. They are joined by SEAT MÓ, Stone Island and adidas Originals. Thank you all very much for your trust in Primavera Sound."

11 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

I agree, but it becomes increasingly harder to justify going solely to undercard acts, when the price tag is at 325€

Another Problem I personally have with this line up is how many acts I've seen before. BCNR, Built to Spill, Rosalia, FKA Twigs  and Christine and the Queens are great acts, but I've caught most of them in 2019 so not that hyped about them

I have the same “problem”, Rosalía will be a very, very different show tho - I’m looking very much forward to see her again. 

Bigger problem for me are these average bookings like Bad Religion and Maneskin - those are really unusual, thats like any other festival

Still more than enough to look forward to aside from this of course. I’m listening to Mora right now - super Reggaeton 

These are acts i'm interested in just from a quick glance at the lineup. Plenty on there I'm not familiar with but will be using the next few months to explore.

Pet Shop Boys, Confidence Man, Blur, Darkside, Ghost, Le Tigre, Turnstile, Sparks, Arthur Verocai, Black Country New Road, Boris, Self Esteem, Sudan Archives, The Comet is Coming, Yard Act, Blackhaine, Kendrick Lamar, Depeche Mode, Four Tet, Fred Again, Christine & the Queens, Alvvays, Beak>, Japanese Breakfast, Julia Holter, Lebanon Hanover, Nation of Language, Swans,VTSS b2b LSDXOXO, Yves Tumor,Soul Glo, Rosalia, FKA Twigs, St Vincent, War on Drugs, Caroline Polachek, Charlotte de Witte, Death Grips, gilla band, jockstrap, john cale, laurie Anderson, overmono, the voidz

There's loads of good stuff on the lineup. A

Edited by Enkidu

I get the diversity argument and I'll go along with that as long as it concerns innovators in genres i personally don't care about but can appreciate for their contribution to pop like Megan Thee Stallion, Bad Bunny or Migos, but Calvin Harris has been irrelevant for 15 years now and Maneskin is Goth Rock pastiche. I dont mind them booking metal and Ghost certainly isn't bad, but right now I don't see a single other act that goes in that direction so it just seems random. 

Edited by Quadrophobia

Which acts will get the Ray-Ban 0300 slots Thurs-Sat? Saw someone mentioning Overmono earlier. Listening to them now, can see them playing there on Saturday. I see that Confidence Man played there in 2018, had forgot about that.

Some of my best Primavera Sound experiences has been those 0300-0400 concerts at Rayban. Caribou, The Blaze, Four Tet, Ratatat, Jagwar Ma..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pne094 said:

Which acts will get the Ray-Ban 0300 slots Thurs-Sat? Saw someone mentioning Overmono earlier. Listening to them now, can see them playing there on Saturday. I see that Confidence Man played there in 2018, had forgot about that.

Some of my best Primavera Sound experiences has been those 0300-0400 concerts at Rayban. Caribou, The Blaze, Four Tet, Ratatat, Jagwar Ma..

I reckon Friday, it will be a Skrillex > Fred Again... > Four Tet triple biller.