Primavera Sound Barcelona 2023 + Primavera Sound Madrid 2023

Fnmentaluk

As of now the acts Im probably gonna plot into my timetable and try to find time to see, before really having full overview of all the acts, are:

Thurs: Blur, Darkside, Le Tigre, NXWORRIES, Turnstile, Pusha T, Arthur Verocai

Fri: Kendrick, Depeche Mode Four Tet, Fred Again, Moldy Peaches, Christine & the Queens, Channel Tres, Daphni, Julia Holter, John Talabot, Yves Tumor, Julia Jacklin

Sat: Rosalia ( 😞 ), FKA Twigs, St. Vincent, War on Drugs, Caroline Polachek, My Morning Jacket, Death Grips, Ezra Furman, John Cale, Laurie Anderson, The Voidz

But still a ton of acts I have to listen to the upcoming months.

5 minutes ago, ConfidenceMan said:

I think people are being a little unfair on Halsey, fwiw. The album she put out last year (produced by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross...) was really well received and pretty decent. I mean it's not like they booked Ellie Goulding or something. 

Shit, now I have to check out an Halsey album... Thanks man!

Keen an open mind etc 🙂 

Edited by pne094

2 minutes ago, Field Commander Jefferson said:

I think they want to slowly turn it into the Coachella of Europe.

Aimed at the vacuous instagram 'influencer' generation

Which isn't a good idea, because the influencer economy is collapsing, resting solely on overdemand in the upper middle class, that inflation is killing.

The involvement of Live Nation and Private Equity Capital realy puts me off. 

I can see why people like this line up and its certainly cannot objectively called bad. But there is not much I like about it 

Edited by Quadrophobia

It's a very stacked lineup for me. Can understand that some people are disappointed with Calvin Harris. Waste of headliner slot. But Skrillex has been producing A LOT with Fred Again.. (and Four Tet) and see how well he is doing atm. All three of them on the same day (and right next to each other) is so LOL.

My "plan" before I have done any research:
Thursday: Blur, Darkside, Le Tigre, NxWorries, Turnstile, Alex G, Built To Spill, Hudson Mohawke, Yard Act.
Friday: Kendrick Lamar, Depeche Mode, Four Tet, Fred Again.., Skrillex, Christine & the Queens, Alvvays, Channel Tres, Daphni, Japanese Breakfast, Julia Holter, Julia Jacklin, Tems
Saturday: FKA Twigs, St. Vincent, The War on Drugs, Caroline Polachek, My Morning Jacket, Arlo Parks, Death Grips, Jockstrap, JPEGMAFIA, Kelela, The Voidz, Yung Lean, Bar Italia,  Wednesday

1 minute ago, pne094 said:

We talked about the 2011 lineup yesterday. Compared to that the 2023 lineup looks like a whole other festival. 

Thing is, it is a whole other festival, really isn't it? Capacity is totally different, even some of the organisation is different, with the Live Nation involvement and different backer. Sure the name and the location are the same but a festival that was at approx 35,000 people per day isn't the same as one that is closer to 80,000 per day. It happens to them all, I guess! 

7 minutes ago, pne094 said:

Shit, now I have to check out an Halsey album... Thanks man!

Keen an open mind etc 🙂 

As a disclaimer, I'm not a massive fan, but of all the names on the bill that stick out as odd, Halsey certainly would not be the one that I'd have a problem with. 

10 minutes ago, ConfidenceMan said:

Thing is, it is a whole other festival, really isn't it? Capacity is totally different, even some of the organisation is different, with the Live Nation involvement and different backer. Sure the name and the location are the same but a festival that was at approx 35,000 people per day isn't the same as one that is closer to 80,000 per day. It happens to them all, I guess! 

As a disclaimer, I'm not a massive fan, but of all the names on the bill that stick out as odd, Halsey certainly would not be the one that I'd have a problem with. 

Halsey is a decent booking imho, but I'm not sure about her headline slot. Her popularity in the US isn't quite mirrored in Europe. Nevertheless, Halsey I'm fine with.

And while i like most of them, BCNR, fred again.. and Bad Gyal is quite a lot of repetition from 2022 in the middle rows

Edited by Quadrophobia

1 hour ago, lighthouse said:

Insane lineup.

Blur, Kendrick Lamar and Depeche Mode alone are huge headliners for this festival. 

NxWorries is the new project of Anderson Paak, by the way. 

Madrid would be my option due to The Mars Volta. I can see the Coachella vibe but it's far from the worst Primavera for me. This year and next years are probably the favourite years for me but that could equally mean not for regulars as it was very far from a festival I'd attend.

8 minutes ago, max98 said:

What other European festivals are comparable to Primavera (in terms of the mix of music they have on offer with big artists)? I went last year and had an unbelievable time but... this year's lineup has left me feeling unsure.

Down the Rabbit Hole and Best Kept Secret (netherlands), Maifeld Derby (Germany, much smaller though), Way Out West (Sweden), Oya(Norway), Roskilde and Northside (Denmark), Flow (Finland),We love Green (France), Dour (Belgium), possibly Tempelhof Sounds (Germany, but has only been held once), and ofc Primavera Porto and Paredes de Coura (both Portugal PS is involved in both).

Also Mad Cool and Bilbao BBK (Spain) and NOS Alive (Portugal) have a decent mix most of the time

If you wanna go more into specific Genres (or sub genres) [or sub-sub genres], Outbreak Fest (UK, Hardcore and Hip Hop), Rewire (Netherlands, Electronic/Experimental) and Roadburn (Netherlands, Doom-/Sludge-/Post- Metal and adjacent) are supposedly great

Edited by Quadrophobia
  • Upvote 2

Hmmm, heres an idea. As far as Barcelona goes, very few people were at the Bits section of the site last year. I wonder if some of those bigger EDM names and the fact that there are two headliners a day as opposed to the last few years trend of having 3+ could we see a more split site with dual headliners on at different ends of the site to try and reduce the congestion we saw at Mordor last year?

I can't really describe it but it feels like the most awkward lineup they've ever had. Things just aren't clicking together like they used to - the curation is way off.

Will be giving it a miss this year and putting my money towards a couple of other festivals. Loads of these acts will be touring hard all summer I imagine.

• Upvote 1