Searches at the gate

Euphoricape

3 hours ago, jonnyisRFC said:

What happens if you don’t have any hair? Does it look suspicious?!

• Upvote 1

Was at creamfields once and was about to get picked up by the dog. When some lad sprints through the “police zone” all the coppers go after him and leaves me be. 

I saw the lad later on and he said he had nothing on him but his mates did so he thought he would be a decoy. That’s a hero. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 8

6 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

There's loads of stash products on the market

eg 61ZUvRP70IL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

However, these can be unnecessarily expensive - especially when you can make them yourself;

Glastonbury searches are piss anyway its not even worth bothering with this kind of thing imo

Roll on deodorant method is a good way imo, has smell protection too (not that i even saw a dog)

Glastonbury 1986, Plod were pulling people over into a layby on the approach and searching them. Not expecting this I had 3 ready rolled joints in my pocket and nothing else. They were taking people like myself to be processed in porta cabins near by. The two comments made by Plod that I recall were "these are the best joints I've seen all day, I'll give you 9 out of 10" and "Why did you bother bringing anything, you can get what you want inside"

I was cautioned and sent on my way.

22 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Glastonbury 1986, Plod were pulling people over into a layby on the approach and searching them. Not expecting this I had 3 ready rolled joints in my pocket and nothing else. They were taking people like myself to be processed in porta cabins near by. The two comments made by Plod that I recall were "these are the best joints I've seen all day, I'll give you 9 out of 10" and "Why did you bother bringing anything, you can get what you want inside"

I was cautioned and sent on my way.

Glastonbury 1986,the people I were with messedup got lost and were driving away from the site,. When we came across a load of plod, set-up to stop and Search people. They thought it was odd, us going the wrong way so decided to drop and search us there was too much vehicle and too many people, so the searches were quick and rubbish, finding nothing.

14 hours ago, jonnyisRFC said:

You will now 

13 hours ago, gfa said:

Glastonbury searches are piss anyway its not even worth bothering with this kind of thing imo

I agree, but there will be some who would take re-assurance from having such products. There are loads of such products out there for sale. However, you don't really need to buy them, you just need to think a little as to how you would go about it without having such off the shelf products to use. 

Not at Glastonbury festival, but I have seen amnesty bins at festival entrance gates, rammed with 'kit'. It's people 'bottling it' right at the very end point. Maybe products like the one that I mentioned would help such people, is all.

On 4/2/2023 at 7:40 AM, jonnyisRFC said:

recommend these! but also you can make them yourself really easily with any old scrunchy, a few buttons and a sewing kit! 

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I agree, but there will be some who would take re-assurance from having such products. There are loads of such products out there for sale. However, you don't really need to buy them, you just need to think a little as to how you would go about it without having such off the shelf products to use. 

Not at Glastonbury festival, but I have seen amnesty bins at festival entrance gates, rammed with 'kit'. It's people 'bottling it' right at the very end point. Maybe products like the one that I mentioned would help such people, is all.

I always plan to encounter the bored security who's going to search everything and wants to waste half an hour of their 12 hour shift. 

Short of a police search I'm fairly confident. 

Aso though, never take in for anyone else. The thresholds for personal use are far lower then people think, just takes one cop that wants to stick to the rules and you're fucked for years through the court system. 

2 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

and you're fucked for years through the court system. 

It doesn't stop there. Your job may have DBS checks at intervals, any new job position you want to go for with another company may have such a check too. In addition, the 'fall out' from insanely increased insurance costs (if not direct refusal to insure) are 'mesmerising'!*

* I once got busted in an under cover operation. 'Very' low key stuff -ie a small amount of weed**. I got a fine in court. However, that was nothing compared to the increased costs of insuring my car and house. 

** - I doubt the police would even bother with a caution for that amount nowadays. This was 1985, and I very much happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

** - I doubt the police would even bother with a caution for that amount nowadays. This was 1985, and I very much happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Things were much tougher in the 80's re implementation of drug laws.

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

Things were much tougher in the 80's re implementation of drug laws.

Well, they definitely were around the Edgbaston Cricket Ground in the few days up to a major match. I hadn't know this at the time (obvs). Apparently the powers that be within the 'City' did not want potentially posh cricket watching visitors to witness open drug selling on the street. 

7 hours ago, MrZigster said:

What is their justification for searching people on the way out?

Seems a bit legally spurious.

Agreed, I'm not sure they have the right, but clearly they may ask to do things which are outside the rules. 

Someone I met recently said they had a pal who worked security at the festival years back who made thousands one year with dodgy deals. 

2 hours ago, clarkete said:

Agreed, I'm not sure they have the right, but clearly they may ask to do things which are outside the rules. 

Someone I met recently said they had a pal who worked security at the festival years back who made thousands one year with dodgy deals. 

I had to go check but it's in the T+C's 

Interestingly I'm surprised it only specifies searches at the entrance. 

You may be searched in the car parks or at the entrance. Any items which the organisers consider may be used in an illegal or offensive manner shall be confiscated. Persons suspected of carrying out illegal and/or offensive activities onsite may be searched. Anyone resisting confiscation of disallowed items or disregarding these conditions will face eviction from the Festival Site.

5 hours ago, Justiceforcedave said:

I'm sure a lot of the time this stuff is a box ticking exercise to get the licence. Outbound checks could be to do with wristband pass outs (capacity control) or even money going offsite (drugs maybe?)

Or stolen good for that matter 

Thinking about it, the majority times I've been searched is when I've had a staff EPO wristband and have been searched both leaving and entering the festival. I guess that once the festival is in full swing and there aren't a great deal of people going through the gates, the guards have more time to search people without it slowing down the queue.  I'm not sure if they have financial incentives to catch people (aside from the more dodgy security who just want peoples stash) but wouldn't be too surprised if that was offered by the orgs running them.

As a punter, I don't think I've been searched - definitely no more than a cursory look in my rucksack and a little squeeze to check for glass but nothing more than that.

For those who have 'recreational' proclivities, just don't be stupid and leave anything that can be easily seen in your rucksack / bags and be friendly with whoever is searching you.  By virtue of there being 100k+ trying to get in on Wednesday, they just don't have the time to do thorough searches.  Be friendly,  respectful and understanding and they'll send you on your way.

if you act like an arsehole or stink of weed / smoking a spliff in the queue, chances are they are going to do a thorough search so don't give them a reason to make an exception of you.

20 minutes ago, BambooShanks said:

Thinking about it, the majority times I've been searched is when I've had a staff EPO wristband and have been searched both leaving and entering the festival.

The EPO wristband has been used to gain extra "pass outs". Grab one on the way out, without showing your EPO. Hide it on the way in and use your EPO to get back in.