Secret sets 2022

FloorFiller

7 hours ago, downtherabbithole said:

Sunday park TBC is quite likely gonna be The War on Drugs. Just makes sense with them being at Bristol Sounds the following day

Seems likely, yet why a secret set? Unless it's to do with Bristol Sounds ticket sales...yet every other act playing there hasn't sold out but is already announced for Glastonbury.

18 hours ago, leath02 said:

Is this a hint?

The lead singer of Sault is Cleo Sol, who also features on Little Simz' latest album.

Little Simz popped up at her only live gig this year as a surprise (https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/jun/08/cleo-sol-review-koko-first-london-headline-little-simz-chronixx) so I am fully expecting her to make an appearance at Little Simz' headline set on the Friday.

Which means that if this was going to happen (or if it had any chance of happening), I would expect it to be a Friday secret set, as I can't see Cleo Sol performing at the festival on two separate days, when she has young kids and doesn't really perform live much at all.

4 minutes ago, Isaact said:

The lead singer of Sault is Cleo Sol, who also features on Little Simz' latest album.

Little Simz popped up at her only live gig this year as a surprise (https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/jun/08/cleo-sol-review-koko-first-london-headline-little-simz-chronixx) so I am fully expecting her to make an appearance at Little Simz' headline set on the Friday.

Which means that if this was going to happen (or if it had any chance of happening), I would expect it to be a Friday secret set, as I can't see Cleo Sol performing at the festival on two separate days, when she has young kids and doesn't really perform live much at all.

Or maybe the 13:00 - 13:30 slot on the Saturday in BBC Intro...?

Arrive on the Friday evening for Simz set, stay the night, do the Saturday lunch time set, and then back home in time for tea

20 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Williams Green: 'huge pyramid level act' so I'm told by someone close enough to make a good call. Reflects back to the 50th anniversary plans, i.e. was arranged for 2020 too.

Weren’t Mumford and Sons rumoured to have been booked for a secret set iirc?

2 minutes ago, t0paz said:

Idles did have Glasto listed as all 3 days on their tour dates, but they’ve now removed the 2 they’re not playing.

It doesn’t affect the possibility of the BBC slot that day, but probably rules out anything else

image.thumb.png.3fe5f155d9dd26a8fc0ced636aa24fb0.png

Wolf Alice, IDLES and Arlo Parks are all playing their main sets on the Friday though, with IDLES curating BBC Introducing on the Saturday. So they will definitely still be around

3 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Seems likely, yet why a secret set? Unless it's to do with Bristol Sounds ticket sales...yet every other act playing there hasn't sold out but is already announced for Glastonbury.

I’m currently thinking TWOD are most likely, but yeah I don’t see why they weren’t just booked and announced as normal if it is them. Couldn’t they just have headlined The Park that night? I like Courtney Barnett but TWOD are surely a much bigger headliner for that stage.

7 minutes ago, FLB said:

Wolf Alice, IDLES and Arlo Parks are all playing their main sets on the Friday though, with IDLES curating BBC Introducing on the Saturday. So they will definitely still be around

Yeah, that’s a good point about their day being Sat. Removing the dates actually might add weight to them playing secret sets both days!

WG Thurs - "pyramid level band"

BBC Intro "headliners" - the curators are Wolf Alice (DJ), Idles, and Arlo Parks respectively

Rabbit Hole Sat - fits the info that Paolo Nutini is playing in a tent that day

JP and Park Sun (plus WG and BBC Intro Sat 13:30) - suggestions from The 1975 (old rumour that they would play when the new album was coming out, now active again), Arcade Fire (wishful thinking, played Coachella), TWOD (in Bristol the next day), Green Day (gap in Hella Meg tour like Amyl, have done a secret set at Reading, Billy Joe attended in 2019), Harry Styles (rumours, "sign of the times" post on OS), Taylor Swift (played at Tribeca, headliner next year?), LCD (starting residency in London the week after, but directly said they're not playing)

Arcadia - Chem Bros (long rumoured, info had all other acts correct)

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Isaact said:

I fucking wish mate. I think SAULT would be a West Holts headliner already tbh. They’re incredible. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

I fucking wish mate. I think SAULT would be a West Holts headliner already tbh. They’re incredible. 

I think they would be hard pushed to headline a stage considering they've never performed live together before

Also think that they're relatively unknown outside 'heads' and the 6music crowd. A secret set feels much more apt 

Yeah, if it wasn't for the fact that they have never performed live before together then I would have believed any rumoured Sault secret set.

Having said that, Cleo Sol basically never performs live until a two hour gig a week ago, so you never know...

If someone could conform Inflo's travel schedule that'd be ideal ;)

Edited by Isaact

Anyone just find this stressful and not exciting? Having trouble trying to cram everything in as it is without finding a way to run to Park for The War On Drugs only to find out I've wasted my time and its Paulo Nutini.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

If you put away your personal feelings towards Glastonbury. Why would they do their first gig as a secret set here and not a gig in you’d have to say in London?

I'm struggling with that as well. 

Unless they do a random 20 minutes at 4am, blink and you miss it. 

Doesn't really fit in with what they are about. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, 1986 said:

Anyone just find this stressful and not exciting? Having trouble trying to cram everything in as it is without finding a way to run to Park for The War On Drugs only to find out I've wasted my time and its Paulo Nutini.

The rumours will be more or less locked in by the time the sets actually happen so you shouldn’t have to make any unnecessary journeys if you keep your eyes and ears (and Twitter) open. Can’t remember the secret sets ever remaining a secret in the decade+ I’ve been going. Usually out there at least by the morning of the day they’re happening. 

edit: although that’s not to say the FOMO doesn’t remain in the minuscule chance the final rumour is wrong and you’re missing something incredible. 

Edited by FloorFiller

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

The rumours will be more or less locked in by the time the sets actually happen so you shouldn’t have to make any unnecessary journeys if you keep your eyes and ears (and Twitter) open. Can’t remember the secret sets ever remaining a secret in the decade+ I’ve been going. Usually out there at least by the morning of the day they’re happening. 

edit: although that’s not to say the FOMO doesn’t remain in the minuscule chance the final rumour is wrong and you’re missing something incredible. 

Yep, pretty spot on about finding out in advance. I remember one year Biffy Clyro were doing a secret set at the Park and there were flyers being handed out about it the day before!

34 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

If you put away your personal feelings towards Glastonbury. Why would they do their first gig as a secret set here and not a gig in you’d have to say in London?

Because it's an incredibly special stage?

31 minutes ago, august1 said:

I'm struggling with that as well. 

Unless they do a random 20 minutes at 4am, blink and you miss it. 

Doesn't really fit in with what they are about. 

I dunno, the tweet came from a BBC 6music producer, which felt more conrete than any other rumour we've had so far apart from Chemical Brothers