Secret sets 2022

FloorFiller

9 minutes ago, oakdown said:

What size have these SE corner secret acts been in the past? Surely MCR would be way too big for any of the stages down there, even in the early hours? Not that I wouldn't be all over it mind. 

Aye I’d agree, too big would be a crush hazard.

9 minutes ago, oakdown said:

What size have these SE corner secret acts been in the past? Surely MCR would be way too big for any of the stages down there, even in the early hours? Not that I wouldn't be all over it mind. 

Biggest in 2019 was probably IDLES, who aren't really comparable, especially three years ago. 

11 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Biggest in 2019 was probably IDLES, who aren't really comparable, especially three years ago. 

Aye, if they were on anywhere it'd really need to be one of the main stages. Can't see it happening at all though. 

53 minutes ago, oakdown said:

Bicep did 2019 in the gas tower, but they weren't as big then.

10 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Bicep did 2019 in the gas tower, but they weren't as big then.

That wasn’t a secret either.

There’s no precedent for an artist of MCRs size doing a secret set in SE corner, especially when they’re not at the festival already. I can’t even think of the last time a non-DJ played a secret set in the SE corner? (Except Toots, which was only because they were late for their scheduled slot)

38 minutes ago, Bradders said:

There’s no precedent for an artist of MCRs size doing a secret set in SE corner, especially when they’re not at the festival already. I can’t even think of the last time a non-DJ played a secret set in the SE corner? (Except Toots, which was only because they were late for their scheduled slot)

WHAT? Was this 2017? How did I not know Toots still played? We waited at WH for him. Absolutely gutted now. 

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Lady Gaga would be the obvious one, but it's a long time ago now.

I wrote a big thing about why Lady Gaga didn’t really apply, then deleted it and changed my parameters to “since 2010” instead. A secret set down there is a different situation for many reasons now.

I know we dont succumb to wild speculation around here but you might be able to get away with a big secret set in the SEC if you had someone bigger in an area across the other side of the site.

Maybe someone like Calvin Harris on Arcadia?

5 hours ago, Bradders said:

Madness and FatBoy Slim, IIRC, were secret sets in Lost Vagueness in 2007. Both probably bigger than MCR

Just now, Boomtowner said:

Madness and FatBoy Slim, IIRC, were secret sets in Lost Vagueness in 2007. Both probably bigger than MCR

Not sure I'd call Madness a secret set as such - they were listed as special guests when the stage was first announced, but LV/Roy were happily telling everyone who'd listen so it was widely reported, and I'm pretty sure they were named in the programme as well.

The fact that it very much wasn't a secret is what caused huge friction between GFL and LV/Roy. The festival weren't at all happy about the crowd control issues that would result from putting a major name artist in a ~2,000 capacity tent just after all the main stages have finished - as a result the festival insisted that the slot was moved an hour earlier to clash a bit more, and even with that it was still crazy busy.

• Thanks 1

I'm not even going to fathom it being MCR, but if it was. Having them on at midnight, the same time Calvin Harris started on Arcadia, would probably not be as big of a crush. Still though, its not happening, probably some secret dj b2b set. 

I’m going to say - pure hunch

Friday

Someone will open the other stage, but I reckon this will be in line with how it’s been in the past, not someone massive but a sizeable act playing an earlier set than they usually would. Don’t have a suggestion for who it could be, but maybe someone on the 2020 poster that is active and not on the 2022 poster…. Manics maybe?

Friday pyramid as a TBA - Harry Styles.

Saturday

TBA third down other stage - Paolo

TBA on the park 

Sunday

TBA John peel either during Diana or just after her. - Maybe an Arcade Fire / Killers / The 1975 style band?

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I’m going to say - pure hunch

Friday

Someone will open the other stage, but I reckon this will be in line with how it’s been in the past, not someone massive but a sizeable act playing an earlier set than they usually would. Don’t have a suggestion for who it could be, but maybe someone on the 2020 poster that is active and not on the 2022 poster…. Manics maybe?

Friday pyramid as a TBA - Harry Styles.

Saturday

TBA third down other stage - Paolo

TBA on the park 

Sunday

TBA John peel either during Diana or just after her. - Maybe an Arcade Fire / Killers / The 1975 style band?

Hmm still not sure about Hazza and don’t see it happening myself, but we shall see.

Unless there’s a big gap between them, like maybe the Park secret set being early doors like Vampire Weekend in ‘19, I don’t think they’ll have two TBAs in quick succession/overlapping on the Saturday. I guess you could argue it might split the crowd and stop the Park getting too mental, but I think it would cause chaos in other ways, and cause the other smaller stages to be deserted. But maybe I’m overthinking that and it’s possible something similar has happened before that I’m forgetting.

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Hmm still not sure about Hazza and don’t see it happening myself, but we shall see.

Unless there’s a big gap between them, like maybe the Park secret set being early doors like Vampire Weekend in ‘19, I don’t think they’ll have two TBAs in quick succession/overlapping on the Saturday. I guess you could argue it might split the crowd and stop the Park getting too mental, but I think it would cause chaos in other ways, and cause the other smaller stages to be deserted. But maybe I’m overthinking that and it’s possible something similar has happened before that I’m forgetting.

The reason why I think Harry TBA works

- Harry rumours popped up pretty much the same time we lost Aerosmith. After losing such a special guest I can see them at least trying to supplement with something else.

- If Aerosmith we’re due to play third down pyramid on the Sunday, and Harry can only do the Friday. Him trading slots with Elbow (who we thought were Friday 2020) kinda makes sense. Would explain Elbow’s move to Sunday.

Also when Zoe Ball asked him he was doing it he laughed and the interview cut. Never know he could have spoken about it and they’ve cut it out / saved it for future coverage.

Also the Glasto Friday remains unfilled and vacant in his touring schedule. June is next month. Seems too late for another gig to pop up. Edit: I know that acts leave touring gaps, but a gap from Wednesday 22nd June in Dublin to Sunday 26th June in Germany is a weird gap.

He’s playing somewhere on Glasto Friday. I’m feeling more and more confident about it.

Edited by Matt42

Just now, fightoffyour said:

Arcade Fire Sunday morning park, 1975 after Turnstile in the JP, MCR opening the Other, The National WG Thursday 😀

Is there a reason why people are saying MCR? They’ve never played and this would be one of their first gigs since reuniting. Aren’t they out of Europe by then as well?

Just now, Matt42 said:

Is there a reason why people are saying MCR? They’ve never played and this would be one of their first gigs since reuniting. Aren’t they out of Europe by then as well?

There’s an act called Miserably Dressed on the Shangri La poster that nobody’s been able to find any information on, so is possibly a fake name for a secret set. Name sounds kind of emo/goth/like a rock band, and MCR are around at the time so people are throwing their name in the hat. Seems like a stretch I guess as there would be pandemonium if they ended up playing the Truth Stage, and their last Euro date is on the 18th so would mean sticking around a little, but I guess we shall see. 

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

The reason why I think Harry TBA works

- Harry rumours popped up pretty much the same time we lost Aerosmith. After losing such a special guest I can see them at least trying to supplement with something else.

- If Aerosmith we’re due to play third down pyramid on the Sunday, and Harry can only do the Friday. Him trading slots with Elbow (who we thought were Friday 2020) kinda makes sense. Would explain Elbow’s move to Sunday.

Also when Zoe Ball asked him he was doing it he laughed and the interview cut. Never know he could have spoken about it and they’ve cut it out / saved it for future coverage.

Also the Glasto Friday remains unfilled and vacant in his touring schedule. June is next month. Seems too late for another gig to pop up. Edit: I know that acts leave touring gaps, but a gap from Wednesday 22nd June in Dublin to Sunday 26th June in Germany is a weird gap.

He’s playing somewhere on Glasto Friday. I’m feeling more and more confident about it.

I actually quite like this logic. I was thinking the other day when we were talking about Aerosmith being 3rd down Sunday and that now looking like Elbow that they could have been moved over to swap for someone. I came to the more boring idea of an act who can't play Sunday being brought in to Friday Pyramid like Robert Plant and Alison Krauss but who knows. 

Someone heard that Jack White is playing, so he seems like a contender for a JP/Park secret set. There's also the person who heard Arctic Monkeys are doing one at The Park, which seems unlikely given how chaotic that would be, but they had good info about Foals doing one in 2019.

3 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

I actually quite like this logic. I was thinking the other day when we were talking about Aerosmith being 3rd down Sunday and that now looking like Elbow that they could have been moved over to swap for someone. I came to the more boring idea of an act who can't play Sunday being brought in to Friday Pyramid like Robert Plant and Alison Krauss but who knows. 

Someone heard that Jack White is playing, so he seems like a contender for a JP/Park secret set. There's also the person who heard Arctic Monkeys are doing one at The Park, which seems unlikely given how chaotic that would be, but they had good info about Foals doing one in 2019.

I can see AM doing a secret set if they don’t plan to do festivals in 2023 / they aren’t in the frame for 2023.

I do however doubt it, as (which is a shock to me and freaks me out a bit), the festival is next month and AM’s shows don’t look to start until late summer. I think it’s a bit too early for them to start playing, unless it’s a total one off.

I really don’t know why Jack White wouldn’t have been on poster 1 if he was there. I feel like he’s someone who is either in the frame or not. Is he a secret set kinda guy?

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I really don’t know why Jack White wouldn’t have been on poster 1 if he was there. I feel like he’s someone who is either in the frame or not. Is he a secret set kinda guy?

He did one with The Dead Weather on The Park and appeared during The Last Shadow Puppets secret set on there too, so he does have form for it. I agree he's a bit different to the usual secret sets we get but I'm sure if he was up for it, they'd find a way to squeeze him in.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Yeah he’s been a part of a couple of secret sets at the festival already, such as drumming with Last Shadow Puppets and a secret set with Th Dead Weather (or Raconteurs… I can’t remember). He loves the place, and even though he isn’t the biggest act, the White Stripes singalongs alone would justify him getting a secret slot. No weirder than Thom and Jonny in 2010. A lot of people would be stoked about Jack White, me included.