2023 legend slot

ProperTea

7 minutes ago, stanh said:

I would absolutely love to have the Spice Girls there, would be such a fun 75 minute set filled with bangers.

Afraid I couldn't disagree more.  The only one who could hold a tune 25 years ago was Mel C, the songs were awful and even by the 90's standards I thought they were cringeworthy.  Of all the acts rumoured they'd be bottom of my list.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Afraid I couldn't disagree more.  The only one who could hold a tune 25 years ago was Mel C, the songs were awful and even by the 90's standards I thought they were cringeworthy.  Of all the acts rumoured they'd be bottom of my list.

Fair enough, they aren't for everyone. For me it ticks all the boxes for the Legend act slot, cheesy fun - for Roxy Music on the other hand, I couldn't even name one song, yet alone sing-a-long for a good few songs of the set, heard a couple tunes from them, but for me and my group, we'd certainly be at one of the many other options available instead. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Saw Duran Duran, Sept 2019 I think? Was a fucking great show. I’d love it to be them, even if Le Bon is a bit of a Le Bellend.  Some great tunes.

Saw Duran Duran at Scarborough OAT last year,  really good night but le bons twirls were a little cringe! I kept thinking he's going to put his back out at this rate.  they'd definitely suit the legends slot perfectly as it was one big party

I want to start a campaign for Doreen Doreen in the legend slot. It was made for them, and they were made for it. It would potentially be the best party the festival had ever seen.

I’ve thought this for a few years. Now I’ve put it out there. Come at me, I don’t care. It’s shouldn’t be about BBC viewers. It should be about the punters who are actually there. And Doreen Doreen were made for this slot.

Edited by Tranquility of Solitude

Roxy Music are a perfect fit for the 3rd down Pyramid Slot occupied previously by the likes of Robert Plant, Crowded House, Elvis Costello, Madness, Motorhead, etc. Heritage acts with a strong back catalogue of tunes from a variety of genres. In fact I've thought that the Friday and Saturday, 3rd down on Pyramid over the last decade has, by and large, been an unofficial legends slot without the gravitas when the likes of the above play. 

But, the Legends Slot has taken on a life of its own over the last 10-15 years, with the anticipation, speculation, and a widespread appetite, from festival goers and TV audiences alike, for outright, non-stop, singalong bangers!

The Eavis's know this, the BBC certainly know this, therefore the Slot is now on a par with the main headliners in terms of profile, but with the one essential brief mentioned above - "non-stop singalong bangers!"

10-15 years ago Roxy Music fit the bill  for what it was then, now though, there just aren't enough songs in their catalogue to satisfy the audience as it is now.  

I was sure that ELO had more than enough timeless, singalong tunes to fit the bill, but a combination of the appalling mud in 2016 that meant everyone was on their arse with exhaustion by Sunday, and Jeff Lynne's lack of interaction with the crowd and what was expected of them, meant they did not go down well with the casuals as much as they would have hoped. Roxy Music have far less singalongs in their back than ELO, therefore are destined to sink like a stone. And that's me speaking as Roxy Music fan. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, jannybruck said:

No, their touring plans. Dunno if they've even been asked for Glastonbury but it's fucking stupid if they genuinely haven't been.

In your opinion of course.

The Spice Girls were originally only active for 6 years and were mostly only popular with school girls at the time. They aren’t legends, they’re a novelty pop act.

It’s not stupid if they don’t approach them, it just means they don’t view the legend slot the same way you do, and their criteria for it goes beyond ‘had some cheesy hits once’ and they simply don’t want them for the slot.

They have pretty good experience of booking acts of all sizes, so if they do actually want them, they aren’t going to be “fucking stupid” and not approach them are they.

Edited by Jose Pose

8 hours ago, gfa said:

Diana Ross crowd (courtesy BBC report)

image.png.3862c0ed23c51e9634843cc06b0e5232.png

expected Roxy Music crowd

image.thumb.png.c0f700b763049e8dce87e70ca5bcd33e.png

There's 100 other stages but please anyone else (or they better be cheap!!)

weren't you one of those wanting gnr? theyd go down worse than roxy might.