Beer Prices

Barneym

3 minutes ago, Obiginnaw said:

don't remember poretti, but to be honest after day 2 it simply became "a pint of lager please" so it could've been anything. 

do we reckon if there is a co-op that they'll sell some cans this year? seem to remember that it was an uncertainty right up until the week before the festival last time, i don't know if they've ever offered them in the years before or not

Would almost guarantee they won’t, wouldn’t be fair on the bars what with being able to bring your own booze in anyway that you could then also buy it from the co-op. They certainly didn’t last time.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Yeah it’s hideous stuff, 3.8% I think, it’s nice initially by virtue of being cold, but by the end it’s like gargling piss.

I’ve usually pissed any alcohol those pints contain out of me before it even gets a chance to enter my system such is the water content.

2 minutes ago, Obiginnaw said:

do we reckon if there is a co-op that they'll sell some cans this year? seem to remember that it was an uncertainty right up until the week before the festival last time, i don't know if they've ever offered them in the years before or not

There was no years before, the co-op didn't have a store before that* - so the uncertainty was due to there being no precedent. My guess is that they won't be selling alcohol as all the reasons they didn't will still apply.

*aside from a much more limited presence in the early-mid 00s which was more about promoting fair-trade than selling products.

54 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

Unlikely, would be amazing though. 🙂

Is there anywhere on site that does craft beers?

Avalon Inn and the bar at the Acoustic does some OK beer, although I've had a few bad ones from these as well.  There was a bar selling Brooklyn beer in 2019, near Pedestrian Gate C, in the Theatre field. I think it was £6.50 a pint for Defender IPA and the Summer Ale. It was the only place I saw doing a decent pint  

The quality of the beer really lets Glastonbury down. I end up carrying my own around all day. I'd really like to see Glastonbury form some partnership with some of the local brewers such as New Bristol Brewery, Arbor and Moor

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Boomtowner said:

Avalon Inn and the bar at the Acoustic does some OK beer, although I've had a few bad ones from these as well.  There was a bar selling Brooklyn beer in 2019, near Pedestrian Gate C, in the Theatre field. I think it was £6.50 a pint for Defender IPA and the Summer Ale. It was the only place I saw doing a decent pint  

The quality of the beer really lets Glastonbury down. I end up carrying my own around all day. I'd really like to see Glastonbury form some partnership with some of the local brewers such as New Bristol Brewery, Arbor and Moor

I struggle because I hate taking my own cans, both in terms of carrying and keeping them cool (there is nothing worse than a warm can of lager) but at the same time the main bar offerings are shite.

Which is my I spend most of my time on the cider.

5 minutes ago, LostHorizon said:

Controversial Opinion: I like Brewdog*

*Generally speaking, Lost Lager is piss

I’m pretty indifferent on it (Punk is a good option Spoons because, well Spoons) but it’s more the company & culture around it that’s… lame. At best. 

13 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I struggle because I hate taking my own cans, both in terms of carrying and keeping them cool (there is nothing worse than a warm can of lager) but at the same time the main bar offerings are shite.

Which is my I spend most of my time on the cider.

The main bar offerings are atrocious, I'm not a fan of cider so it's carry my own. Still working on ways to keep them cold.

1 minute ago, Boomtowner said:

The main bar offerings are atrocious, I'm not a fan of cider so it's carry my own. Still working on ways to keep them cold.

Freeze them … and stick em in a cool box surrounded by ice and wrapped in a space blanket … or coop sells ice 

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Freeze them … and stick em in a cool box surrounded by ice and wrapped in a space blanket … or coop sells ice 

Does freezing not compromise the beer?

I don't mind carrying a cool box around with me on the Wednesday and Thursday, less inclined on music days. Did the CoOp ice on one day in 2019, worked for a few hours.

Just now, Boomtowner said:

Does freezing not compromise the beer?

I don't mind carrying a cool box around with me on the Wednesday and Thursday, less inclined on music days. Did the CoOp ice on one day in 2019, worked for a few hours.

It certainly didn’t with cider … worth a try  beforehand …  my ice in cool box lasted till sun in 2019 as everything was a block of ice … 

There was a new craft beer place in 2019, it was run by carlsberg  but they had about 6 or so craft beers, we ran through the menu on a table somewhere on the Thursday. I remember they had Hackney Hopster which is a London Fields beer which we discovered at the time is owned or part owned by Carlsberg. No memory of where this bar was.

18 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

I’m pretty indifferent on it (Punk is a good option Spoons because, well Spoons) but it’s more the company & culture around it that’s… lame. At best. 

Yeah, I'm not going to lie and say I have any particular in-depth knowledge of Brewdog's treatment of staff other than the open letter some ex-employee's penned. That said, and in more general term's, I think there's a generation now that have very little resilience to parts of life that are, in a word, shitty.

Maybe it's all true and Brewdog are terrible employers. Generally I try not to give a huge amount of weight to stuff that I read social media though.

I like Punk IPA. I like Elvis Juice. I think at one point their marketing served a purpose but now it's kinda cringe.

1 minute ago, LostHorizon said:

Yeah, I'm not going to lie and say I have any particular in-depth knowledge of Brewdog's treatment of staff other than the open letter some ex-employee's penned. That said, and in more general term's, I think there's a generation now that have very little resilience to parts of life that are, in a word, shitty.

Maybe it's all true and Brewdog are terrible employers. Generally I try not to give a huge amount of weight to stuff that I read social media though.

I like Punk IPA. I like Elvis Juice. I think at one point their marketing served a purpose but now it's kinda cringe.

There is a documentary on iplayer about it if you’re so inclined. It’s from (I think from memory) a BBC Scotland programme called Disclosure.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I tend to stick to the Cider Bus and/or Brothers Bar.

Can't stand the lagers that most of the main bars sell (although one or two have San Miguel, which is at least vaguely drinkable). The usual Tuborg/Carlsberg shite they sell is fucking rank. 

I’m evidently in the minority here, but I don’t mind Carlsberg since they did the Danish Pilsner rebrand. It’s the ideal percentage for a session for me. I bring some nicer 330ml cans that I keep in the cool box at the tent or in the fridge of the van, then start the day with these and switch to Carlsberg or similar later. Even if I’m not using the bar I’ll bring some weaker lager to carry around. If I drank premium lagers all day I’d be no good around midnight and would probably lose one or two chunks of the day. By drinking weaker lager, and the Carlsberg pilsner has just enough flavour to it to be enjoyable for me, I stay on form for up to 16 hours. 
I also quite like Lost Lager. Had no clue of any controversies involving them. 
At Beautiful Days the only lager I could get was an Otter which was far too hoppy for me and I couldn’t drink it. 

There, I’m probably a pariah now. 

22 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Doesn’t work with lager: good option for cider though. Makes the beer taste weird and it loses its carbonation. 

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I tend to stick to the Cider Bus and/or Brothers Bar.

Can't stand the lagers that most of the main bars sell (although one or two have San Miguel, which is at least vaguely drinkable). The usual Tuborg/Carlsberg shite they sell is fucking rank. 

Exactly this. The problem is the main bars are supplied by Carlsberg which is why we have the option most of the time of Carlsberg, Tuborg and Somersby. All awful but completely why the festival go with them as a supplier as they are the cheapest by a long way and why wouldn't they when they have a captive audience?

Having said that I am fully convinced people would rather go back to their tent and get their own drinks or go to another bar that has better options than drink there so it's probably swings and roundabouts. Could potentially spend more to make more I guess.

Edited by DareToDibble