2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, TiZuff said:

"kendrick who" lol 😄 love this place!

kendrick is a superstar, an important superstar and a generational artist. Glastonbury headliner is the correct place for someone of his stature.

If you dont know anything about him, load up Good Kid Mad City. go to rap genius and load up the lyrics of the album so you can follow what he is saying. and just enjoy.

People who dont listen to hip hop might get lost in the raps and the music but id highly advise giving following his lyrics with rap genius or something so you can follow the narrative he threads. dont know what else to say!

Have you listened to the Dissect podcasts for TPAB and DAMN? The level of depth is just on another level, really remarkable.

I'm a part of the younger generation who will be going Glastonbury, and honestly before he was been talked about headlining 2020, I knew next to nothing about Kendrick except he had a song called Humble that I had heard, tbf I'm not a rap/hip hop fan. I gave all his albums a listen and couldn't get into it. Read up on him and you do see how big he is and is worthy of headlining. Just a shame if these are our 3 headliners that none of them are a must see for me with it been my first Glastonbury, but I get that the pyramid headliners are a tiny part of what Glastonbury is about.

I was at Billie's performance at Reading in 2019, and she had a huge crowd that were all going for it, but that demographic was massively for her. I don't think it will be the same at Glasto and the crowd may be weaker. Everyone says her shows are great, and they are, only when she is surrounded by her fans, hopefully I am proven wrong. And having watched Kendrick's Reading performance on YouTube, it wasn't great and doesn't make me me think I need to go see him, and that was once again a demographic he is more aimed at. But I do think that it was his performance rather than the crowd on that occasion.

Either way I hope I am proved wrong and they smash it, they both deserve to headline without a doubt, they just aren't for me and I am been pessimistic with how their performances will be compared to everyone's expectations.

• Upvote 1

Dunno what demographic I’m in then. Fat, middle aged white guy who would want to see both Pet Shop Boys and Kendrick and have to choose if they’re against each other, but probably go for Kendrick as while I’ll singalong much less, it feels more significant.

Not sure what my point is beyond I dunno what the ‘Glastonbury demographic’ is.

I do think this a generation thing 

and no for the record I’m not saying older people can’t enjoy hip hop just like I wouldn’t say younger people can’t enjoy the beatles

But if you asked an average 16 - 28 year old to handover their Spotify playlist you would probably see a lot of hip hop.

and if you don’t fit this description that’s cool but it’s beside the point.

If you look at the charts there is way more hip hop there than ever before. Doja, Megan, Kendrick, Drake, Travis, Stormzy, AJ Tracey, Dave, Polo G, Post Malone. it’s everywhere! 

If you listen to hip hop it’s somewhat universally accepted that Kendrick is one of the leading voices and most *artistically acclaimed* rappers out there. It’s like if you want to book a British band booking Radiohead. Yes Coldplay and Muse and Imagine Dragons are probably bigger at this point but sometimes it’s about the cultural impact 

Edited by Matt42

52 minutes ago, KPSandwiches said:

Couldn't agree more with this - I do think this forum's demo is skewed, leading to a lot of the "Kendrack Lemur??" comments I've seen. I'm in the same boat - major artist in my circle of friends (20s-30s) and the act we're most hyped for.

No shade on those who aren't into him or don't see the appeal but be in no doubt this is a SOLID booking, and just right for Glasto. Complements Billie and Paul really well imo (neither of which I'm fussed about).

I'm genuinely surprised at the credible excitement around Styles actually. I like the guy more than I like his music, and didn't expect to see people here so willing to accept his possible headliner status. Will listen to more of him and see if he grows on me.

*Hi btw. Been lurking for years and just sorted my login out.

Hi, welcome on board 😄

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I do think this a generation thing 

and no for the record I’m not saying older people can’t enjoy hip hop just like I wouldn’t say younger people can’t enjoy the beatles

But if you asked an average 16 - 28 year old to handover their Spotify playlist you would probably see a lot of hip hop.

and if you don’t fit this description that’s cool but it’s beside the point.

If you look at the charts there is way more hip hop there than ever before. Doja, Megan, Kendrick, Drake, Travis, Stormzy, AJ Tracey, Dave, Polo G, Post Malone. it’s everywhere! 

If you listen to hip hop it’s somewhat universally accepted that Kendrick is one of the leading voices and most *artistically acclaimed* rappers out there. It’s like if you want to book a British band booking Radiohead. Yes Coldplay and Muse and Imagine Dragons are probably bigger at this point but sometimes it’s about the cultural impact 

Radiohead's cultural impact on the chin stroking, dorky while male demographic certainly cannot be understated and must be respected.

Edited by jparx

12 minutes ago, TiZuff said:

"kendrick who" lol 😄 love this place!

kendrick is a superstar, an important superstar and a generational artist. Glastonbury headliner is the correct place for someone of his stature.

If you dont know anything about him, load up Good Kid Mad City. go to rap genius and load up the lyrics of the album so you can follow what he is saying. and just enjoy.

People who dont listen to hip hop might get lost in the raps and the music but id highly advise giving following his lyrics with rap genius or something so you can follow the narrative he threads. dont know what else to say!

GKMC is one of the greatest rap albums ever made.

I don’t know how to describe it other than in an elitist, cultural superiority, pitchfork chin stroking way - but sometimes there are some acts that are fashionable to book and have impact through being a pretty cool act to follow.

Kendrick is welcomed with open arms by the pitchfork, fantano, high-brow music brigade. Glastonbury has always dabbled with the favourites of that crowd.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

Radiohead's cultural impact on the chin stroking, dorky while male demographic certainly cannot be understated and must be respected.

it can be recognised as existing, and its not the audience for kendrik or billie.

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I don’t know how to describe it other than in an elitist, cultural superiority, pitchfork chin stroking way - but sometimes there are some acts that are fashionable to book and have impact through being a pretty cool act to follow.

Kendrick is welcomed with open arms by the pitchfork, fantano, high-brow music brigade. Glastonbury has always dabbled with the favourites of that crowd.

that's people with standards, thank fuck. 🙂 

1 minute ago, JackDoesDrawing said:

I'm sorry to be a pain but I'm at work and have tried scrolling through to find out what's going on with Kendrick - does it look like he's still on board then? Fingers crossed!

Yep, seems that way. Nowt to go against Macca and Kendrick at this point, still seem odds on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neil said:

i don't think there's a plan but i do think the old farts like me need a kick up the arse, i'm not sure that a headliner has interested me since my first in 1986.

Who is the act that grabbed your attention in 1986? Is there a stage you generally find yourself at when the headliners are playing? 

2 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

Don't think you can call them odds on when neither actually have any gigs announced. 

A couple very reliable sources keep saying it's them. It's more to go off than any other act out there, and Kendrick did the same thing last year where he was rumoured for ages without any dates, then a load of dates came out late in the day.

Edited by jparx

The other issue on the headliner front at the minute is if it's NOT Kendrick and Macca, there's diddly squat on the rumours front pointing to anyone else. We'd need the info on Kendrick and Macca to be wrong, AND info to come out for someone else. If/when we get info passed on from Neil or someone else pointing to a different act, the picture may change. But currently it's all one way traffic and the only ray of hope (if you're not in the Macca/Kendrick camp) is that the pandemic may scupper touring plans for them, but that's looking increasingly unlikely given the state of the pandemic right now and where it seems likely we're heading. The time to bail on a 2022 tour would have been December/early Jan, but the info still seems to point to them both.