2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, sisco said:

Btw, absolutely no dig from me at you @Matt42 but have never heard of them being a good source (the star, as that’s what the Mail are reporting on)

Shall see. I too was expressing doubt before but doing a Twitter search it’s more than just the mail / star that have picked this up. Was the star the initial source or somewhere else that feeds content to all of the papers?

Just now, Matt42 said:

Shall see. I too was expressing doubt before but doing a Twitter search it’s more than just the mail / star that have picked this up. Was the star the initial source or somewhere else that feeds content to all of the papers?

They are all picking up from each other .. 

The one thing I was going to say which makes me not want to rule this out is how many US acts are pulling their tours left right and centre at the moment. It wouldn’t surprise me if Glasto HQ was lining up big UK acts that could step in to headline if say a Billie or Kendrick got touchy about their tour.

Highly unlikely but it could be damage control via a Harry, Dua, Macca top bill.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

The one thing I was going to say which makes me not want to rule this out is how many US acts are pulling their tours left right and centre at the moment. It wouldn’t surprise me if Glasto HQ was lining up big UK acts that could step in to headline if say a Billie or Kendrick got touchy about their tour.

Highly unlikely but it could be damage control via a Harry, Dua, Macca top bill.

I don't think anybody is discounting it as a possibility.  But there is a world of difference between an opinion and making a statement that something is happening because of a shit report in the Star.

Fwiw the only times Harry Styles is doing consecutive dates on this tour are Czech/Austria and Italy/Italy. If he was headlining the Saturday it would mean consecutive nights in UK/Germany. Could be more doable with Glasto being a festival and maybe not having his stadium stage setup, but the Friday does look to make more sense.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

there are agencies / platforms that people give stories to that get sent to all of the papers. It may not be someone approaching the daily star directly. Who knows.

I mean, there aren't ones that would send this... If you think this is the type of thing Reuters, Press Association, etc send out, then you've got a very distorted sense of how the industry works.

Just now, squirrelarmy said:

That would mean the biggest ever resale ticket pot.

Good news for the ticketless but bad for our ears. 

It’s not ideal but with the current trend at the moment of US acts just noping out of their 2022 tours it wouldn’t surprise me if GFL were opening conversations with British acts who could step up if needed.

15 minutes ago, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

Fwiw the only times Harry Styles is doing consecutive dates on this tour are Czech/Austria and Italy/Italy. If he was headlining the Saturday it would mean consecutive nights in UK/Germany. Could be more doable with Glasto being a festival and maybe not having his stadium stage setup, but the Friday does look to make more sense.

He’s doing consecutive dates in Manchester and London too. I agree that the Friday looks more realistic, but I can’t see him subbing Billie. I can see him subbing Macca…or maybe a JP secret set in anticipation of a headline set next year. 

Just now, ticketboy69 said:

He’s doing consecutive dates in Manchester and London too. I agree that the Friday looks more realistic, but I can’t see him subbing Billie. I can see him subbing Macca…or maybe a JP secret set in anticipation of a headline set next year. 

Whoops yeah sorry I meant to say consecutive gigs that aren’t at the same venue.

Friday not only looks to make more sense - they way the tour is plotted it looks like there should be a show somewhere on Friday.

However, I don't see him playing an announced slot on the Pyramid Stage. He'll have ambitions of headlining it soon so a mooted sub slot wouldn't make sense. I believe a spot as a special guest middle of the bill on the Other Stage would work though.

Then, as @Matt42 says, if Billie drops out, he could step up and they plug that Other Stage gap with whoever's knocking about.

30 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

It’s not ideal but with the current trend at the moment of US acts just noping out of their 2022 tours it wouldn’t surprise me if GFL were opening conversations with British acts who could step up if needed.

Surely they should be asking musicians first?

More than happy to admit when something has just totally passed me by, and this may well be the case with Styles, but I genuinely only know of one song he’s done as a solo, and it was nothing more than fine. I accept he’s a big name from a celebrity pov, but I had no idea his solo career had reached headliner level yet. The stadium dates obviously suggest so, but Christ he’s passed me by entirely. He would be, by far, the headliner I’ve had least idea of in the festivals history. Don’t even dislike the bloke, I don’t know enough of his music! Think I know more Bad Bunny songs than Harry Styles.

Still think it’s Kendrick and Macca though. Styles is a big name doing a big tour and it’s an obvious connection to make to sell some papers, but I trust the info that we’ve now had from multiple sources all suggesting the same thing, and if one of those names does drop off I think we’re looking at someone like Florence coming in.

Edited by jparx

10 minutes ago, jparx said:

More than happy to admit when something has just totally passed me by, and this may well be the case with Styles, but I genuinely only know of one song he’s done as a solo, and it was nothing more than fine. I accept he’s a big name from a celebrity pov, but I had no idea his solo career had reached headliner level yet. The stadium dates obviously suggest so, but Christ he’s passed me by entirely. He would be, by far, the headliner I’ve had least idea of in the festivals history. Don’t even dislike the bloke, I don’t know enough of his music! Think I know more Bad Bunny songs than Harry Styles.

Same here. His upcoming album would need to be wall to wall bangers

Interesting. I thought both his first and second album were pretty solid. Second definitely has more recognised hits.

My view is if he’s playing it’s on the Friday, and he may be as a stronger than usual sub. I know it would be a bit of a nail in the coffin for him wanting to headline, but maybe his team don’t think he will get the call and would rather he just plays. Or, he was in talks to play long before a tour at Wembley was considered a possibility.

I see it as a similar situation to Dua Lipa. Massive now and wouldn’t be a stretch to headline, but who knows whether in 2 or so years time you will still be in contention. The music industry can change quickly. 

He’s headlining Coachella but that happened due to all three of their headliners dropping out. I’m pretty sure very few people (myself included) considered him in a headline capacity until very recently. If he agreed to sub a few years ago it may just be sticking to what was already in place (like Dua).

Edited by Matt42

He seems to be the hot ticket for this year. Ticketmaster crashed on Friday in the ticket bunfight and the Wembley shows seem sold out. I see him as a new Robbie Williams; ex boy-band but bona-fide solo star, with catchy singalong songs. And unlike Robbie, he's broken the USA. I've no doubt he's big enough to headline, and I'm sure he will do. The question is; if he's doing Glasto 22, will he be taking one of Macca/Kendrick's slots, or will he accept a lower slot (maybe on the understanding he can headline again)?

9 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

He’s perfectly entitled under the criminal justice system, now that he has completed his sentence and been rehabilitated to the extent the law seems necessary, to seek a living. In his case that’s writing and releasing music and performing live.

He can book gigs and release music, it’s down to individuals now whether they choose to engage with it or not.

Obviously if he worked in IT you'd think he should have his job back even if he might not be quite so popular around the office but there is something very icky about the public adulation he will receive from audiences. As you say it's up to individuals whether they go and see him and that probably is fair on balance it still doesn't exactly sit well.