What have you done today to get ready for Glastonbury 2022?

kalifire

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

Piss pot 😀

Thought as much.

Wondering on the topic that someone said about a north face coat - how cold does it actually get at like 3am in the SE corner? Was thinking t shirt and a sherpa fleece should be good

1 minute ago, gfa said:

Thought as much.

Wondering on the topic that someone said about a north face coat - how cold does it actually get at like 3am in the SE corner? Was thinking t shirt and a sherpa fleece should be good

You should be okay in a hoodie. Pretty sure I've walked back in daylight before in a t-shirt (depends how well, er, fortified you are).

Just now, gfa said:

Thought as much.

Depends on how much you can take the cold but that would be fine for me … especially in a crowd … but then I’m happy to work in a freezer in a tshirt for short periods of time 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

Depends on how much you can take the cold but that would be fine for me … especially in a crowd … but then I’m happy to work in a freezer in a tshirt for short periods of time 

Sounds good - i'm pretty good with the cold was just curious. traded my old bumbag for this super warm columbia fleece the other day

9 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Perfect … just ordered ringo and George too … thanks … I’d looked everywhere and forgot about etsy 

Excellent, likewise it didn't occur to me that there was a market for 3rd party ones 🙂 

9 minutes ago, gfa said:

Thought as much.

Yeah hoody will be fine. I've never needed more than that and my rum jacket

Just now, Quark said:

Yeah hoody will be fine. I've never needed more than that and my rum jacket

I'm intrigued by the rum jacket - is rum included or is it just rum coloured?

23 minutes ago, LadyP said:

Returned to the forums, just to post to this thread that I've purchased new walking boots as mine had finally begun to disintegrate. Also picked up some waterproof spray, next job is to get the tent out!

Its really happening isn't it? 😬

Hello I am going for the first time.... walking boots (that give ankle support) or walking shoes (like the hiking trainers) - which do people think are the best bet?

Both waterproof 

The hiking boots give more ankle support but are bulkier to wear and hotter on my feet 

Hiking shoes are lighter but don't give the ankle support I think - I don't have any at the moment but might buy some like this if people think they are a good footwear option?

https://www.columbiasportswear.co.uk/p/womens-trailstorm-waterproof-walking-shoe-1938911.html?dwvar_1938911_color=317&dwvar_1938911_size=12&&mid=paidsearch&eid=Google+Adwords+UK&nid=&oid=&did=&gclid=CjwKCAjwuYWSBhByEiwAKd_n_ntV-R6rh4A8CWh0EP__dl2zP6GTrkqPzvAKqtB1oqyLDVUdD4KSCxoCDFQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds 

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Boots.  You need the additional height in a wet year.

I read this initially as 'you need the additional height' (in order to see the stages)... luckily I am 6ft. OK thanks re the boots. Might get insoles so they are a little comfier.

Is there a packing list on this forum anywhere? (sorry if it is obvious)

Edited by curlylocks88

1 minute ago, curlylocks88 said:

Hello I am going for the first time.... walking boots (that give ankle support) or walking shoes (like the hiking trainers) - which do people think are the best bet?

Both waterproof 

The hiking boots give more ankle support but are bulkier to wear and hotter on my feet 

Hiking shoes are lighter but don't give the ankle support I think - I don't have any at the moment but might buy some like this if people think they are a good footwear option?

https://www.columbiasportswear.co.uk/p/womens-trailstorm-waterproof-walking-shoe-1938911.html?dwvar_1938911_color=317&dwvar_1938911_size=12&&mid=paidsearch&eid=Google+Adwords+UK&nid=&oid=&did=&gclid=CjwKCAjwuYWSBhByEiwAKd_n_ntV-R6rh4A8CWh0EP__dl2zP6GTrkqPzvAKqtB1oqyLDVUdD4KSCxoCDFQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds 

Everyone's got their own opinion on footwear. And everyone thinks they're right 😄

If it's a properly dry one (2017, 2019) then it's trainers all the way for me.

Walking boots are perfectly good so long as they're breathable, but can be a bit much in hot weather. But they'll also be perfectly fine for most muddy years, especially if paired with gaiters to keep the worst of the mud out.

Wellies are really only practical for REALLY bad years. And it's a real risk if you can be in them for the whole weekend without foot problems. I was always really lucky that my cheap £25 pair lasted years and never gave me a single blister.

Likelihood is that I'll take walking boots and trainers to give myself the option. but if I had to pick one it'd be the boots.

1 minute ago, curlylocks88 said:

I read this initially as 'you need the additional height' (in order to see the stages)... luckily I am 6ft. OK thanks re the boots. Might get insoles so they are a little comfier.

In a muddy year it can be so deep that walking shoes won't cope and you'll get wet feet.  Boots will ensure dry tootsies.

I take both.

11 minutes ago, Quark said:

Neither. It's the all-enveloping warm fuzzy feeling I get after drinking all my rum 🤣

I feel a bit stupid for not clocking this one haha. Pretty used to it being called a beer jacket regardless of poison.

7 minutes ago, curlylocks88 said:

Both waterproof 

I always have walking boots with me but if it's a proper dry one have old trainers as well. If it's in any way muddy the boots get worn. If you are by a stage for an act or 2 I have been known to remove the boots for a while if the weather is hot. It is very important and I can't stress this enough to have walked decent distances over rough terrain in warmish weather in your boots to check they are definitely comfortable enough. 

My husband's cousin with wellies one tear that she said she had worn loads and were comfy but when we had to take her to a first aid tent because of the giant blisters it seemed like maybe she wasn't prepared enough. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I always have walking boots with me but if it's a proper dry one have old trainers as well. If it's in any way muddy the boots get worn. If you are by a stage for an act or 2 I have been known to remove the boots for a while if the weather is hot. It is very important and I can't stress this enough to have walked decent distances over rough terrain in warmish weather in your boots to check they are definitely comfortable enough. 

My husband's cousin with wellies one tear that she said she had worn loads and were comfy but when we had to take her to a first aid tent because of the giant blisters it seemed like maybe she wasn't prepared enough. 

Thanks - mine are really well worn so I know they won't be an issue. 

Just now, curlylocks88 said:

Thanks - mine are really well worn so I know they won't be an issue. 

Great it's the biggest rookie mistake to buy brand new boots and take them to Glastonbury without having off road tested them so to speak. 

I'm in a quandary myself as my walking boots are pretty old now and I could do with a new pair but worry I haven't given myself enough time to properly wear in a new pair. I might buy a new pair but bring my old ones as well. 

44 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I'm in a quandary myself as my walking boots are pretty old now and I could do with a new pair but worry I haven't given myself enough time to properly wear in a new pair. I might buy a new pair but bring my old ones as well. 

Surely 12 weeks would be long enough to wear them in a bit?  I certainly wouldn't want to take 2 pairs of boots.

I got some new trainers last week so plenty time to wear in. They should be comfy enough for the dust bowl conditions we are going to have..

I couldn’t get tickets in 2019 so it’s been 5 years since I’ve been. I’ve also been wfh for the past 2 years… so really starting to up my walking so I’m able to scamper about the site to my hearts content without feeling too knackered

1 hour ago, curlylocks88 said:

Both waterproof 

I prefer boots not just for the potentially muddy conditions, but for the additional ankle support, I'm just not used to doing 40k steps a day on uneven terrain (I live in east anglia, we don't have hills here) so I find I'm less susceptible to injury in a boot. I am careful to pick ones that aren't too heavy though, as others have said they can be hard work, especially with half a ton of sticky mud clinging to them! Insoles are handy, good socks and compeed are essential!

2 hours ago, Quark said:

Debating whether I can be bothered to practice using my old moka pot with my mini gas stove so I can have a decent coffee at the tent first thing, will probably give it a few test runs and see how it does.

Have you tried an aeropress?  I find them much easier, less messy and better espresso/Americano than a molasses pot. Probably cheaper as well

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1