Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

On 12/4/2023 at 9:30 AM, bexj said:

Billy Bragg - I've seen him umpteen times at festivals so knew exactly what I was going to get - and he didn't disappoint.  What I was impressed with though, was his 2 hour set and I heard a number of songs I'd never heard before and they were beautiful!  But as usual his gigs leave me feeling full of  fight and hope #GTTO!

Seen him many times over the years and always great. Only issue is that out of that 2 hour set and hour will be him talking politics and I always think for the most part it will be preaching to the converted.

37 minutes ago, Popsider75 said:

Seen him many times over the years and always great. Only issue is that out of that 2 hour set and hour will be him talking politics and I always think for the most part it will be preaching to the converted.

There was a lot of chat, of course, and he welcomed new members of the audience that might have found him through his "response" song to the American guy, through union involvement for striking teachers/nhs/rail/amazon etc.  He also pleaded to his often male, middle aged audience to understand and get more involved in supporting trans communities in the same way they might have done with the gay community in the 80s.  I like to think that many people took away something to think about, I certainly did.

Couple of recent ones from me in the last week that I would love to see on the farm but think unlikely:

1. Hot Milk at the Trinity Centre in Bristol, lots of fun and worked a slightly mild crowd at the start into madness by the end

2. Georgia at Thekla, Bristol - most likely of the three to play Glasto again and would be a great slot on the Park again or Woodsies

3. Don Broco at the o2 Academy Bristol, sixth time seeing them and they’re such a tight live band now

Belatedly doubling up from Down Under...

Had a lovely night at Jackson Browne in Sydney last Friday - played for over two hours, packed in a pair of encores, and spun a few nice tales, including one about Nico.

Followed it up with Good Things Festival the day after, which - with the exception of PVRIS cancelling through illness at the start of the day and Fall Out Boy being forced off four songs into their headline set due to a storm - was a broadly enjoyable evening too.

On 12/4/2023 at 9:57 AM, Quark said:

Being a miserable old bastard would feel like the perfect fit for a Paradise Lost / My Dying Bride gig 😄

Two names I haven't heard in ages

I would give anything to go back in time and rip up that free ticket.

I ended up getting flu... and now pneumonia... from going to this piece of sh*t gig.

today is the first time I've physically been able to get out of bed and look at a screen without feeling like my eyes are burning.

I can only assume that Nick Holmes was displeased with my assessment of his band and cursed me after reading that post last week....

The Darkness for me last night and as you would expect they were great fun. I was looking forward to seeing Bad Nerves who were the advertised support but missed them as stuck in the que to get in. They must have come on super early and played to a handful of people as most people will have been in the que outside.

Bad nerves must have been moved forward to accomadate the surprise support Ed Sheeran. Aparently he is a huge fan and had always wanted to open for them when he started out. I did see The Darkness support Ed years ago. So we got a half an hour of Ed bangers and he also came out during the Darkness to play Love is only a Feeling and done the rockstar jump from the drum kit stage.

A quality night of entertainment complete with the F***** Christmas Song (Anyone who saw them support GNR at BST will know about the F******  Christmas Song) and a cover of Radioheads Street Spirit.

After all these years The Darkness still put on a cracking show.

• Upvote 1

On 12/10/2023 at 1:56 PM, Dales said:

The Darkness for me last night and as you would expect they were great fun. I was looking forward to seeing Bad Nerves who were the advertised support but missed them as stuck in the que to get in. They must have come on super early and played to a handful of people as most people will have been in the que outside.

Bad nerves must have been moved forward to accomadate the surprise support Ed Sheeran. Aparently he is a huge fan and had always wanted to open for them when he started out. I did see The Darkness support Ed years ago. So we got a half an hour of Ed bangers and he also came out during the Darkness to play Love is only a Feeling and done the rockstar jump from the drum kit stage.

A quality night of entertainment complete with the F***** Christmas Song (Anyone who saw them support GNR at BST will know about the F******  Christmas Song) and a cover of Radioheads Street Spirit.

After all these years The Darkness still put on a cracking show.

Yeah, I saw The Darkness in Glasgow on Monday night and I've seen them a few times now, and it was hands down the best time I've seen them. Such a strong live band. 

On 12/13/2023 at 12:02 PM, gingerevans84 said:

Saw Jake Bugg in Poole on Monday. Always a solid show, but my gosh what a venue The Lighthouse is. Well worth a trip if anymore gigs get announced there. Was the first standing show in 5 years.

Not been there since see Paul Weller there in about 1997 - assume it's had an upgrade! 

3 hours ago, Sitruc97 said:

Last gig of the year seeing The Lathums at Project House - Leeds last night, first time seeing them and was quite impressed, not a bad little venue either.

Going to see them in Wigan this coming Saturday for their home town gig. Seen them couple of times previously including the Other Stage this year. Very decent.