The worst sets at Glastonbury

Leyrulion

I've not been disappointed by much at Glastonbury, I don't tend to go and see Legends or headliners unless I'm a fan and never get swayed by mates to see anything I don't want to. 

Paul Simon though was heartbreaking, I'd been looking forward to it so much only for him to act like a child who didn't want to go to school because he had a sore throat. 

Other than that, I guess I should have learned my lesson after Beady Eye but Liam's 2019 Pyramid slot was poor.

The worst I've seen was the last 20 minutes of Lana Dell Rey, which was next level shit but it wasn't meant for me, I was just an old bastard who got there too early for the next set. Who knows, maybe her fans loved it.

As others have said, Lauryn Hill was shite.

Genuinely thought it would be a stomper. 

The Oasis bits of Liams set were superb, the non-Oasis bits were flat as a pancake. 

Pendulum were on before Beyoncé, we’d decided to arrive early and get a good spot for Queen B.

”Suppose we can watch Pendulum before, how bad can they be?”.

Very, is the answer you’re looking for. 

Edited by nikkic

31 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Everyone's right coz dizzee smashed it in both 09 and 10, there's a reason he was used in both those years' BBC montages. Mad how many pyramid slots he had around then.

Certainly feel he went off the rails a bit after those sets and the massive success he got from Bonkers/Dance Wiv Me/Holiday.

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

As others have said, Lauryn Hill was shite.

Genuinely thought it would be a stomper. 

The Oasis bits of Liams set were superb, the non-Oasis bits were flat as a pancake. 

Pendulum were on before Beyoncé, we’d decided to arrive early and get a good spot for Queen B.

”Suppose we can watch Pendulum before, how bad can they be?”.

Very, is the answer you’re looking for. 

Oh god yeah Pendulum were awful. I'd quite liked them for a while before that, having seen them support Prodigy at Milton Keynes, but it was terrible.

1 hour ago, priest17 said:

Everyone's right coz dizzee smashed it in both 09 and 10, there's a reason he was used in both those years' BBC montages. Mad how many pyramid slots he had around then.

Yeah I'd just completely forgotten about 2009 weirdly! Remember now that I loved it. Fix up was insane.

27 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah I'd just completely forgotten about 2009 weirdly! Remember now that I loved it. Fix up was insane.

I remember watching Flo on the other - with the two, but still very young then, older Wofflings, beautiful moment, took my best ever GlastoPhoto - just as she was on the up. Played a cover of Fleetwood Mac Chains IIRC. We headed back round to the back of the Pyramid field / to our tent (ready for little Woffy to watch Muse headline, I think) just as Flo then appeared on stage with Dizzee. Not my thing tbh, but the kids were beside themselves with glee. Felt like a proper Glastonbury moment for us. 

Edit: 2010

Edit2: Sorry. That was a great Glasto moment, not a shit one. 

Edited by Woffy

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Definitely 2009, he was on fourth down - after Spinal Tap but before Crosby, Stills & Nash.

Yep, I was there and he was brilliant. Charisma coming out of every pore. Just before he brought out that dreadful "whatever sells"* album that didn't know what it wanted to be except as commercial as possible, which is a pretty good way to flop.

Must have been bittersweet for him to narrative the Stormzy section, Diz was so close to headlining El Pointo, but tried too hard and had to get back to his roots before people wanted to listen to him again. You could tell he really wanted it.

* As he was making the album, he was on Jonathan Ross; when asked what was next he said "whatever sells man, whatever sells" 

51 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I went on my own to see Dizzee Rascal in a tent at Reading Festival in 2004....what I saw at Glastonbury 5-6 years later was something entirely different! 

10 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Certainly feel he went off the rails a bit after those sets and the massive success he got from Bonkers/Dance Wiv Me/Holiday.

He went from UK mega star to wedding booking pretty fast. Nothing he’s done since then has really lived up to his past stuff.

Plus music has moved on pretty fast and his sound is pretty outdated.

Paul Simon on the Pyramid 2011, just so boring! Does anyone remember anything about it apart from all the chairs you had to navigate to get anywhere near the stage and the bit where he did 'call be Al' at the end?

Garfunkel on acoustic a few years later was better despite his voice being shot to shit! 

On 6/27/2021 at 10:36 AM, waltere said:

Got to agree with the Lauryn Hill mentions.

In the immortal words of someone on this forum shortly after that festival "I didn't realise Miss Lauryn Hill was an instruction".

I'm not the biggest lauryn hill fan, but I thought her performance was fine-didn't really get all the hate! What was the issue with her? I'd read all sorts of horror stories about her sets on the lead up, but thought she was okay on the day, not sure what people were expecting? 

On 6/27/2021 at 4:45 AM, kalifire said:

Lauryn Hill. The danger signs were there from various videos of prior sets online, but Miseducation was so seminal, and an appearance so rare, I think many of us felt duty bound to be there and hope for the best. Unfortunately we all lost that bet. Firstly, she was late. Second, much of her valuable time was used by a DJ playing ‘warm up’ tunes (for what purpose? You don’t need to hype us up, it’s fucking Glastonbury!). When she eventually appeared, yet again her perfectionism spoilt what could have been a wonderful Glasto moment. She seemed consistently annoyed with the sound, gesticulating wildly to sound crews and her production team, at one stage even stopping proceedings between songs and visibly laying into someone verbally, side of stage. We just wanted the hits and a singalong, but Ms Hill didn’t seem to want to be reduced to that, betraying a huge disconnect between the artist and crowd; the kind that kills sets. Killing Me Softly was dutifully trotted out as a kind of token last-song offering but it was too late. Many of us were disappointed, regretting our decision to sacrifice The Comet is Coming at West Holts for this. 

Ah, I'd lost track of the time and didn't realise she was late and couldn't see the screen so wasn't bothered by her coms to the production staff. Music and singing seemed fine and folks were dancing where I was at

13 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Paul Simon on the Pyramid 2011, just so boring! Does anyone remember anything about it apart from all the chairs you had to navigate to get anywhere near the stage and the bit where he did 'call be Al' at the end?

Garfunkel on acoustic a few years later was better despite his voice being shot to shit! 

Art was just lovely, bad poetry and all.