The worst sets at Glastonbury

Leyrulion

1 hour ago, Toilet Duck said:

I was waiting for that one! To be fair, it was supposed to be Ryan Adams (so loads turned up for that not knowing he’d cancelled) and he was off his tits…so while he was obnoxious and faffed around for ages between songs, the performance was actually brilliant (only time I’ve ever seen him do Digital Ash live…lover I don’t have to love was a sublime end!)…

edit: maybe there was something in the air that night, Wasn’t Bobby Gillespie also in full flow insulting the crowd at the same time? 

I thought the Bright Eyes performance was captivating. Conor was being a knob but when the band played the songs, it was fantastic. Was there a streaker lady that Conor gave a big Hancock at one point?

Every BE performance there since has been perfect though. Didn’t they play the Other Stage in 2007 and he said something about not expecting that call?

1 hour ago, Ryan1984 said:

I thought the Bright Eyes performance was captivating. Conor was being a knob but when the band played the songs, it was fantastic. Was there a streaker lady that Conor gave a big Hancock at one point?

Every BE performance there since has been perfect though. Didn’t they play the Other Stage in 2007 and he said something about not expecting that call?

Yeah, they were great on the Other in 2007 as well (for such a miserable year weather-wise, there were phenomenal performances across the site).  I think I’m wide awake, it’s morning was such a popular album in ‘05 that not playing any of it contributed to the ill feeling for the JP set, but that’s Conor for you, he has such a vast catalogue to pick from, but he rarely does a greatest hits set, mainly sticks to what he is touring at the time and he was on a Digital Ash kick at that point. I loved it I have to say! 

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

He played the Pyramid during the day in 2009, around the time that Bonkers was going huge, and absolutely smashed it.

13 wasn’t great though.

2010 surely? I remember his 2010 performance before Gorillaz being awesome. I also really enjoyed Gorillaz despite only being a casual fan, but that Friday in 2010 is up there with my favourite days at the festival ever so would probably have loved anything I watched.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Beady Eye yet. Maybe because no-one expected it to be good but distressingly bad stuff. Really regretted eating my breakfast there that morning.

Then for me:

Paul Simon 2011 - no interaction and boring.

Bruce Springsteen 2009 - I know people here loved it but as someone who wanted the hits it was unbearably dull

Radiohead 2011 - The secret Park gig. Got there late after trekking through mud. Couldn't hear, couldn't see, regretted leaving Morrissey for it.

The National 2017 (I think? The Pyramid set) - I used to be a huge fan but this is when I parted company with them really. They played a ton of new stuff and Turtle Neck is awful. Giving them another chance in Primavera next year...

Primal Scream 2013 - didn't see it all but seemed total shite. Second time I'd seen them in that state too.

I loved Amy Winehouse in 2008 but I was wrecked and it was my first Glastonbury and was so just excited to finally see her. If I watched it back now I think I'd be appalled.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

14 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

2010 surely? I remember his 2010 performance before Gorillaz being awesome. I also really enjoyed Gorillaz despite only being a casual fan, but that Friday in 2010 is up there with my favourite days at the festival ever so would probably have loved anything I watched.

Definitely 2009, he was on fourth down - after Spinal Tap but before Crosby, Stills & Nash.

38 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

The National 2017 (I think? The Pyramid set) - I used to be a huge fan but this is when I parted company with them really. They played a ton of new stuff and Turtle Neck is awful.

Bold call, and the right one. We all know the score but yeesh. Bricked.

I've not been disappointed by much at Glastonbury, I don't tend to go and see Legends or headliners unless I'm a fan and never get swayed by mates to see anything I don't want to. 

Paul Simon though was heartbreaking, I'd been looking forward to it so much only for him to act like a child who didn't want to go to school because he had a sore throat. 

Other than that, I guess I should have learned my lesson after Beady Eye but Liam's 2019 Pyramid slot was poor.

The worst I've seen was the last 20 minutes of Lana Dell Rey, which was next level shit but it wasn't meant for me, I was just an old bastard who got there too early for the next set. Who knows, maybe her fans loved it.

As others have said, Lauryn Hill was shite.

Genuinely thought it would be a stomper. 

The Oasis bits of Liams set were superb, the non-Oasis bits were flat as a pancake. 

Pendulum were on before Beyoncé, we’d decided to arrive early and get a good spot for Queen B.

”Suppose we can watch Pendulum before, how bad can they be?”.

Very, is the answer you’re looking for. 

Edited by nikkic

3 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Pendulum were on before Beyoncé, we’d decided to arrive early and get a good spot for Queen B.

A slot so painfully mismatched it caused the band to break up. Beautiful slice of Pyramid lore.

31 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Everyone's right coz dizzee smashed it in both 09 and 10, there's a reason he was used in both those years' BBC montages. Mad how many pyramid slots he had around then.

Certainly feel he went off the rails a bit after those sets and the massive success he got from Bonkers/Dance Wiv Me/Holiday.

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

As others have said, Lauryn Hill was shite.

Genuinely thought it would be a stomper. 

The Oasis bits of Liams set were superb, the non-Oasis bits were flat as a pancake. 

Oh god yeah Pendulum were awful. I'd quite liked them for a while before that, having seen them support Prodigy at Milton Keynes, but it was terrible.

1 hour ago, priest17 said:

Everyone's right coz dizzee smashed it in both 09 and 10, there's a reason he was used in both those years' BBC montages. Mad how many pyramid slots he had around then.

Yeah I'd just completely forgotten about 2009 weirdly! Remember now that I loved it. Fix up was insane.

27 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah I'd just completely forgotten about 2009 weirdly! Remember now that I loved it. Fix up was insane.

I remember watching Flo on the other - with the two, but still very young then, older Wofflings, beautiful moment, took my best ever GlastoPhoto - just as she was on the up. Played a cover of Fleetwood Mac Chains IIRC. We headed back round to the back of the Pyramid field / to our tent (ready for little Woffy to watch Muse headline, I think) just as Flo then appeared on stage with Dizzee. Not my thing tbh, but the kids were beside themselves with glee. Felt like a proper Glastonbury moment for us. 

Edit: 2010

Edit2: Sorry. That was a great Glasto moment, not a shit one. 

Edited by Woffy

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Definitely 2009, he was on fourth down - after Spinal Tap but before Crosby, Stills & Nash.

Yep, I was there and he was brilliant. Charisma coming out of every pore. Just before he brought out that dreadful "whatever sells"* album that didn't know what it wanted to be except as commercial as possible, which is a pretty good way to flop.

Must have been bittersweet for him to narrative the Stormzy section, Diz was so close to headlining El Pointo, but tried too hard and had to get back to his roots before people wanted to listen to him again. You could tell he really wanted it.

* As he was making the album, he was on Jonathan Ross; when asked what was next he said "whatever sells man, whatever sells" 

51 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I went on my own to see Dizzee Rascal in a tent at Reading Festival in 2004....what I saw at Glastonbury 5-6 years later was something entirely different!