The worst sets at Glastonbury

Leyrulion

3 hours ago, sjseabass said:

The Cure were absolutely magnificent. Stunned that their 2019 set is being mentioned in this thread.

I’m a massive Radiohead fan, I was right at the front in 2017 and it was my favourite gig of all time (and I can’t really imagine it ever being topped to be honest). However I can totally understand people not enjoying it if they were further back (terrible decision with the screens) and that run at the start with Myxomatosis etc probably wasn’t the best for a festival gig.

Robert Smith and co though - I like them a lot, although hardly a superfan, and I adored the whole thing from just behind the second barrier. Really don’t know what else they could have done!

I am a massive Cure fan, seen them a fair few times over the last 30+ years and loved the Glastonbury performance. One of my favourite bands at a place I love was fantastic. Did Bob not mention a wireless mic was a new thing for him so he was able to go for a bit of a wander and he seemed to really enjoy that. 

The only downside was I was on my own and things like that it's sometimes good to share with folk you know 

6 hours ago, sjseabass said:

The Cure were absolutely magnificent. Stunned that their 2019 set is being mentioned in this thread.

I’m a massive Radiohead fan, I was right at the front in 2017 and it was my favourite gig of all time (and I can’t really imagine it ever being topped to be honest). However I can totally understand people not enjoying it if they were further back (terrible decision with the screens) and that run at the start with Myxomatosis etc probably wasn’t the best for a festival gig.

Robert Smith and co though - I like them a lot, although hardly a superfan, and I adored the whole thing from just behind the second barrier. Really don’t know what else they could have done!

Yep I would have described myself as a casual Cure fan (a greatest hits kind of fan). I went along thinking that it was my best chance to see a greatest hits set and they absolutely delivered. I'm not sure I have ever heard a Pyramid act sound better. Since then I have bought 3 of their albums on vinyl. Read an autobiography. That set really gave me a whole new admiration for them.

Mind you I also think at Glastonbury where you watch from etc can affect your experience so much. I know people who say the Rolling Stones was amazing whereas I left after 5 songs because it was awful where I was and I didn't like them enough to try and get in amongst it. Probably one of the few sets I have ever left at Glastonbury but I'd say it was on me rather than them performing badly. 

4 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yep I would have described myself as a casual Cure fan (a greatest hits kind of fan). I went along thinking that it was my best chance to see a greatest hits set and they absolutely delivered. I'm not sure I have ever heard a Pyramid act sound better. Since then I have bought 3 of their albums on vinyl. Read an autobiography. That set really gave me a whole new admiration for them.

Mind you I also think at Glastonbury where you watch from etc can affect your experience so much. I know people who say the Rolling Stones was amazing whereas I left after 5 songs because it was awful where I was and I didn't like them enough to try and get in amongst it. Probably one of the few sets I have ever left at Glastonbury but I'd say it was on me rather than them performing badly. 

What Cure book have you read? Any good?

On 6/29/2021 at 10:13 AM, hfuhruhurr said:

For me U2 weren't so bad - basically because a huge group around us were shouting in unison "Pay your .... taxes" every time Bono talked. They got so good at it we were all laughing, joining in and the weather didn't matter.

I experimentally shouted that during a bit of pause where I was stood and got asked "Oh. Please don't. We're here for the music". Guess I was in the wrong spot.

On 6/29/2021 at 10:31 AM, Ryan1984 said:

I’m a U2 fan but they never really looked like they’d nail that set. Were there some odd choices in the setlist as well? I remember the closer/encore being a bit of a damp squib.

I love the Boss but felt he also played more of a ‘fans’ set’ rather than a festival-friendly one?

For U2 I had just left a shift in a bar where DJ Yoda had been doing a set. He was so no need for it fucking loud that despite wearing earplugs my ears were suffering. U2 just seemed too quiet after that.

The Damien Hirst Monarch Butterfly bit at the start made me get a bit paranoid and think they were maybe trying to hypnotise us on some level. If it hadn't been for the seriously distracting rain then maybe they'd have succeeded and we'd all be raving about what a legendary set it was  years later (giggle). 

I left Springsteen because:

A) Didn't recognise anything.

B) It was peak flag and I got really pissed off that literally all I could see was flags. Even on the screens. 

On 6/29/2021 at 11:33 AM, Ddiamondd said:

I feel like the clamour to book U2 ran throughout much of the 2000s, when their stock was extremely high riding off All That You Can't and How To Dismantle. Live 8, iPod adverts, ubiquity in the charts, record-breaking tours, a huge run of success for a band 25 years in.

I remember them being an ongoing rumour for El Pointo as early as 2007/8, and by 2009 we more or less knew they'd be playing 2010.

So the delay was rough luck. When their set came around in 2011 the parodies of Bono were at fever pitch, the tax evasion story had ballooned (literally...), and they were coming off a pretty bad album. Get On Your Boots? Come off it. Wasn't long before the Apple giveaway controversy, too.

On the night the weather fucked it up, but it's been part of an ongoing downward trend for the band anyway. 

The Stones caught the Glasto hype bang on. U2, it was far less the sum of its parts.

Great post. Thought provoking.

On 6/29/2021 at 2:45 PM, ivan said:

What i did find funny at the time with Metallica was the NME went to Denmark or somewhere to interview the band prior to Glasto and their manager Peter Mensch asked the NME reporter for all the Metallica backlash quotes from likes of Mogwai and Artic Monkeys - which ended up being on some Metallica merchandise i think.

I can just image the NMe reporter quaking as Peter Mensch shouted "Give me it ! "

I own two of those T-shirts. Both in black. One of which is too small for me (long story). The other I chose as my appropriate upperwear for this past weekend (but only because I appear to have misplaced my red 2010 glow in the dark jobby). Really wish I'd also bought a white one that fitted. Because black is just so cliché for Metallica, darlings. 

Edited by MrZigster

1 hour ago, MrZigster said:

The other I chose as my appropriate upperwear for this past weekend (but only because I appear to have misplaced my red 2010 glow in the dark jobby). Really wish I'd also bought a white one that fitted. Because black is just so cliché for Metallica, darlings. 

You have jobby that glows in the dark??

1 hour ago, dizzymoo said:

You have jobby that glows in the dark??

I had a jobby that used to. It's been washed too much. 

I'm sure you know what I actually meant.

Are you by any chance Scottish?

I've always associated the word jobby with jocks for some reason. Possibly a Billy Connelly thing.