news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

I mean in general for electoral hopes this seems to split the Indy vote and benefit the Tories?

At Holyrood Alba aren't standing in the constituencies so they can't split the vote there and because the SNP do so well in the constituencies they don't get much from the lists anyway so they aren't likely to loose more than a couple of MSPs. 

The Greens as the other pro-Indy party that do well on the lists will be most affected. 

The MPs who have jumped ship are both in seats where it's Labour in second place so if they were to stand again and split the Indy vote it'd be Labour who gained not the Tories.

So no it doesn't significantly help the Tories, in fact the recent SNP slump in the polls due to the Salmond/Sturgeon scandal has seen Labour move back into second place above the Tories as those turned off the SNP by my are more likely to be Labour than Tory.

In short it could help independence by gaming the system and it's more likely to help Labour than the Tories, it's shit for the Greens.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mcshed said:

At Holyrood Alba aren't standing in the constituencies so they can't split the vote there and because the SNP do so well in the constituencies they don't get much from the lists anyway so they aren't likely to loose more than a couple of MSPs. 

The Greens as the other pro-Indy party that do well on the lists will be most affected. 

The MPs who have jumped ship are both in seats where it's Labour in second place so if they were to stand again and split the Indy vote it'd be Labour who gained not the Tories.

So no it doesn't significantly help the Tories, in fact the recent SNP slump in the polls due to the Salmond/Sturgeon scandal has seen Labour move back into second place above the Tories as those turned off the SNP by my are more likely to be Labour than Tory.

In short it could help independence by gaming the system and it's more likely to help Labour than the Tories, it's shit for the Greens.

Thanks for going through it. As someone that just wants the Tories out of government I'm not sure how to feel about it all, ideally I'd like the UK to stay together though.

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

Thanks for going through it. As someone that just wants the Tories out of government I'm not sure how to feel about it all, ideally I'd like the UK to stay together though.

Anything damaging to the SNP helps Labour in Scotland and Labour's recovery in Scotland is pretty essential for Labour's success at a UK level.

My take on it as a Scottish Labour member is that Salmond/Sturgeon fighting is good, Salmond's mere presence is good as it reminds people of the awful behaviour that the SNP ignored for years. 

However the Independence movement at large getting used to gaming the top up system is very bad and undemocratic.