Jump to content

Your most controversial music opinions


CaledonianGonzo
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Britpop and it's consequences have had dire implications for the human race.

initially i'm broadly in agreement, and i'd like one of the most important parts of your thesis to feature annoying gonks on guitars at parties playing 'wonderwall'.

And while Weller is the obvious one to blame for Wellend haircuts, we can DEFINITELY blame britpop for the inexplicable resurgence of mop-headed Wellends over the last 25 years or so. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

initially i'm broadly in agreement, and i'd like one of the most important parts of your thesis to feature annoying gonks on guitars at parties playing 'wonderwall'.

 

Does that actually happen these days? Pretty sure I haven't heard Wonderwall at a party since 1998.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Does that actually happen these days? Pretty sure I haven't heard Wonderwall at a party since 1998.

i have, but i have a knobhead mate who knows it annoys me. Its become a self-perpetuating circle of hell and i'll only realistically break it by killing him. OR snapping his guitar strings . . . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

 

And while Weller is the obvious one to blame for Wellend haircuts, we can DEFINITELY blame britpop for the inexplicable resurgence of mop-headed Wellends over the last 25 years or so. 

It’s a lazy trope. Marriott created the style and Weller merely adopted it. He hasn’t had it that way in 10(?) years now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember watching a Paul Weller ‘day in the life’ type video on some channel or something. The Modfather visited his barber for a trim, and the documentarian asked the barber if he liked the hairstyle, the barber went “no, it’s too feminine”. The owned Mr. Weller had a right face on sat in the chair. 10/10 would watch again.

edit: not that a feminine haircut is owt to be ashamed of - just your own barber not liking your hairstyle probably is

Edited by dentalplan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It didn't cause Brexit all by itself but there must be some cause and effect in there.

Although with the exception of Noel Gallagher I can't think of a single Britpop artist who is pro-brexit and the age group that grew up with Britpop (which is very definitely my age group) are most certainly not the ones who voted for it. If we were going to argue that any musical movement was responsible for it surely it would be more Beatles/Stones/The Who generation. Obviously bought the hype that Britain was the best ever. I agree that Brit pop brought back a little of that belief in British exceptionalism but I think I have always seen it a bit more tongue in cheek etc. 

Ironically Britpop has a big following in Europe. I have a 22 year old colleague in Barcelona who listens to more Brit Pop than me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Although with the exception of Noel Gallagher I can't think of a single Britpop artist who is pro-brexit and the age group that grew up with Britpop (which is very definitely my age group) are most certainly not the ones who voted for it. If we were going to argue that any musical movement was responsible for it surely it would be more Beatles/Stones/The Who generation. Obviously bought the hype that Britain was the best ever. I agree that Brit pop brought back a little of that belief in British exceptionalism but I think I have always seen it a bit more tongue in cheek etc. 

Ironically Britpop has a big following in Europe. I have a 22 year old colleague in Barcelona who listens to more Brit Pop than me. 

It was ginger spice in that dress, wasn't it? "Thatcher was the original girl power" and all that. Seemed harmless at the time...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, maelzoid said:

It was ginger spice in that dress, wasn't it? "Thatcher was the original girl power" and all that. Seemed harmless at the time...

I don't really think of them as Britpop though. Britpop was more the indie scene that got popular Blur, Oasis, Pulp and the like. 

Edited by gigpusher
Because Blur don't deserve to be confused with Blue
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I don't really think of them as Britpop though. Britpop was more the indie scene that got popular Blue, Oasis, Pulp and the like. 

Sure. I meant ginger was more responsible for the whole 'Britain is great' hype you spoke of. 

But just a joke. Spice Girls are guilty of a lot of things, but Brexit isn't one of them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll have no more Britpop bashing, thank you very much! 😀

It was popular music, predominantly from Britain. As far as I'm aware, the vast majority of acts around at the time despised the moniker and I can't think of a single punter that I associated myself with who ever suggested that they were into or listened to "Britpop" as a genre. Like most cultural movements, it was cynically hijacked by marketeers and red tops keen to ride the coat-tails of the biggest cultural phenomenon since the last one.

Unfortunately I think it also suffers retrospectively from the Union flag symbolism that's more attached these days to the ridiculous levels of nationalism that have increased over the past decade. I don't think Noel Gallagher's Epiphone kills fascists as much as it wasn't a right wing call to arms. It was all tongue-in-cheek. It never struck me during the time that it was anything other than thinking that it was cool that our tiny island was the cultural centre of the planet once again for the first time since the mid-sixties...but just for a short while. 

I'd also argue that it was the "Britpop" generation that helped this country finally break free from years of Tory tyranny, only for the previous one to restore it again years later.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I'll have no more Britpop bashing, thank you very much! 😀

It was popular music, predominantly from Britain. As far as I'm aware, the vast majority of acts around at the time despised the moniker and I can't think of a single punter that I associated myself with who ever suggested that they were into or listened to "Britpop" as a genre. Like most cultural movements, it was cynically hijacked by marketeers and red tops keen to ride the coat-tails of the biggest cultural phenomenon since the last one.

 

Yep and I think a lot of bands were lazily bundled in with it when they didn't really even quite have the sound. I know The Bluetones for example hated it at the time and felt like they weren't really part of that scene but were lumped in with it because they played guitars. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I also agree that we can't blame Brit Pop, aside from Menswear who I'm pretty sure cursed us all with their existence. 

This isnt anything to do with anything really, but my old flatmate at University shagged three members of Menswear, which almost unbelievably didnt involve the lead singer. She was a strange girl. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...