Acts Touring around Glastonbury 2023

kingcrawler

6 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Lol sure why not! Well here are a couple of mock lineups that have been floating around to give you an idea at least. But aside from a handful of ones at the bottom of any respective day, you prob only know stuff from the first 2 lines overall and thats it.

60FE01AE-3877-481E-9BCC-9C158BD6878E.jpeg

A39BA33C-B18F-4C39-87BF-5629DCA2EEF0.png

For me, on those posters, it splits into four categories. Acts I enjoy and regularly listen to (10%), artists that I know and very occasionally check out (20%), those who I recognise but couldn't name a song (30%) and acts I've never heard of (40%). As someone pushing 46 years old, living 5000 miles away from the Polo Grounds, I'm comfortable with those metrics. It's a much younger person's game. 

5 hours ago, The Nal said:

I dont think they are. Theres loads of heavy bands that are always about and never asked/don't play. I defo get the impression theres a quota and thats that.

The Earache and Scum stuff is about as far as they want to go with it. A quick flirt on a Saturday night. A splash and dash.

The don't want hoards of middle aged knuckle dragging metal heads who still live with their parents, all wearing black Kill Em All tshirts having just been dropped off at Castle Carey with their pocket money moshing about  drinking Stella from their faux ivory Viking goblets.

I don’t even know what point you are trying to make any more, recent Glastonbury lineups have shown they will book basically any genre no matter what crowd it will attract. 

2 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Lol sure why not! Well here are a couple of mock lineups that have been floating around to give you an idea at least. But aside from a handful of ones at the bottom of any respective day, you prob only know stuff from the first 2 lines overall and thats it.

60FE01AE-3877-481E-9BCC-9C158BD6878E.jpeg

A39BA33C-B18F-4C39-87BF-5629DCA2EEF0.png

Good job they are mock. They are god awful.

11 hours ago, therefused said:

I don’t even know what point you are trying to make any more, recent Glastonbury lineups have shown they will book basically any genre no matter what crowd it will attract. 

You're not going to attract thousands of metal fans to Glasto by booking 1 or 2 metal acts. But if they booked 15 or 20 then they would and Glasto don't want that.

13 minutes ago, The Nal said:

You're not going to attract thousands of metal fans to Glasto by booking 1 or 2 metal acts. But if they booked 15 or 20 then they would and Glasto don't want that.

There is absolutely no proof in that whatsoever (Metallica headlined the festival only a few years ago!), and to compare a mosh pit to a crush is down right insane. What do you havr against metal fans personally? Seems like a bit of a vendetta there to me 

4 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Lol, and when theyre 80% true? Also exactly the reaction I expected cause apparently if its not full of 3 year repeats and every band from London its not a good lineup for efests.

Funny thing is though I'm quite far away from the opinions and views of many efesters on here.

But I'm not a huge rap fan at all and my electronic side is quite selective. I'm quite a trance/commercial person and not really house or techno personally.

To give you a slight idea too, currently the 3 music festivals I'm looking to attend next year are Download....which is a rarity for the whole thing, Slam Dunk and Victorious with what's been announced and the idea of what could come.

13 minutes ago, therefused said:

There is absolutely no proof in that whatsoever (Metallica headlined the festival only a few years ago!), and to compare a mosh pit to a crush is down right insane. What do you havr against metal fans personally? Seems like a bit of a vendetta there to me 

I actually think The Nal is correct in the main part.

Glastonbury also as non profit need to be confident their festival will sell out and booking a band that don't sell out the biggest metal festival over here is quite telling for where they stand. 

23 minutes ago, therefused said:

Ive nothing aganst metal fans. Im a metal fan. My brother is in a metal band. 

Glasto seem to have an issue is alI Im saying

Has there been any predictions of SZA at the farm? Headlined Wireless last year, long-awaited and now much-acclaimed US #1 album rn SOS, and sold out (I think) US tour at the start of 2023...

Could be a high evening Other like St Vincent / Lorde Other placement...

6 hours ago, The Nal said:

You don't want to just attract metal fans, you want to attract music fans who like all genres including metal.

Having a few acts here or there is for that category of people.

I feel like that's the disconnect for you here.

It seems like you think only self proclaimed metalheads listen to metal which just isn't the case. 

Aso Glastonbury always sells out no matter who plays, they can afford to take a few risks and have some left field choices every now and again. 

Edited by Xeph1995

People always say the Metallica crowd was small, I couldn't tell as I was in the pit, there may have been 1,000 behind me, it could have been 200,000 but in the footage it looks a decent size. Not exactly Stones size, obvs but a fair effort for an act that people said would be playing to one man and a dog.

Screenshot_20221220_152810_YouTube.thumb.jpg.975291b5524072e7ea636342bcea3532.jpg

Just now, The Nal said:

If Glasto put on 20 good metal bands there would be more moshing at Glasto. Thats just a fact. Eavis doesn't want that. 

Its not just metal though. 2022 you had, Foals, Fontaines DC, Idles, Inhaler, Skunk Anansie, Sleaford Mods, Turnstile, Wet Leg, Wolf Alice, Libertines, Yungblud, Jamie T all of which could have had moshing in the crowd. 

2 hours ago, harryy said:

Has there been any predictions of SZA at the farm? Headlined Wireless last year, long-awaited and now much-acclaimed US #1 album rn SOS, and sold out (I think) US tour at the start of 2023...

Could be a high evening Other like St Vincent / Lorde Other placement...

I think she’d either be a pyramid sub or an other stage headliner. No way they’d get her below that.

She’s a bit of a rarity as it is so I can’t see her popping up. Even though I’d love it.

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think she’d either be a pyramid sub or an other stage headliner. No way they’d get her below that.

She’s a bit of a rarity as it is so I can’t see her popping up. Even though I’d love it.

I had no idea she is that big

I knew her first album was critically well received, although I didn't like it. 

2 hours ago, therefused said:

Its not just metal though. 2022 you had, Foals, Fontaines DC, Idles, Inhaler, Skunk Anansie, Sleaford Mods, Turnstile, Wet Leg, Wolf Alice, Libertines, Yungblud, Jamie T all of which could have had moshing in the crowd. 

If you find yourself moshing at a Wolf Alice gig its time to rethink your life.

Versus

3 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

People always say the Metallica crowd was small, I couldn't tell as I was in the pit, there may have been 1,000 behind me, it could have been 200,000 but in the footage it looks a decent size. Not exactly Stones size, obvs but a fair effort for an act that people said would be playing to one man and a dog.

Screenshot_20221220_152810_YouTube.thumb.jpg.975291b5524072e7ea636342bcea3532.jpg

I always find the debates and willy waving over headliner crowd sizes to be tedious in the extreme.

No headliner ever at Glastonbury has walked out to three men and a dog. They always get decent sized crowds, even the less popular ones.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I always find the debates and willy waving over headliner crowd sizes to be tedious in the extreme.

No headliner ever at Glastonbury has walked out to three men and a dog. They always get decent sized crowds, even the less popular ones.

This is entirely true. But beyond that there are still degrees of variance that scale from Arcade Fire up to Craig David.

4 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

It was small, but I don't think it was small enough to be singled out as "the" example.

I watched both Arcade Fire and Metallica from pretty much the exact same spot, along the path at the top of the field and thought both had pretty much exactly the same sized crowd. But the unfashionable one gets mentioned in that context and the (until very recently) critics darlings haven't so much.

I wasn't there, but I suspect from the footage that there wasn't that much difference between Metallica and at least one of the headliners this year either. There's probably others around the same size over the years.

26 minutes ago, incident said:

It was small, but I don't think it was small enough to be singled out as "the" example.

I watched both Arcade Fire and Metallica from pretty much the exact same spot, along the path at the top of the field and thought both had pretty much exactly the same sized crowd. But the unfashionable one gets mentioned in that context and the (until very recently) critics darlings haven't so much.

I wasn't there, but I suspect from the footage that there wasn't that much difference between Metallica and at least one of the headliners this year either. There's probably others around the same size over the years.

Muse last time was smaller.