Stage Predictions 2022: For real this time

dentalplan

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

And that's not a hate on the Mumfordians either. I loved their JPT set in 2010. But they felt paper thin on that headline show.

As I’ve oft said - I really like their song, I just wish they’d write another. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, chazwwe said:

But he wasn't doing a headliner set, he was doing a sub headliner set. Which is an opinion based thing on what that is. 

I'm indifferent of him. The amount of people saying he hasn't got enough hits when he has more hits than Stormzy STILL currently has when he headlined, he might be 'bland' to you but he's clearly popular and his set in 2019 showed that. If he falls off on his next album then probably not but if its anywhere near as close as his 2nd and has anywhere near a track as big as Shotgun then he's an easy go. To have a set where you have 3 albums and a good amount of them are top 10 singles, with 3 number 1 albums is a lot more than can be said for your typical Glastonbury headliner. 

Why do you now need depth in your set to headline a festival? He has a few upbeat songs, a few solo guitar songs and a bunch of sing alongs. 

It's hard to comment here. I never thought Stormzy should have headlined and still don't. I didn't get his set at all but that's my opinion. I think that set was partly given based on what it represented and what he has done in the real world more than that he was ready.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

More than the Arctic Monkeys or Muse or Radiohead or even Foo Fighters probably.

No way. Arctics, Foo's and Muse have more hits.

41 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Lana isn’t at primavera. Wondering whether we have lost her.

In other news. Lorde is at primavera! If we lose Lana can we get Lorde?

Was she there last year?  Laziness is stopping me looking

Py: Kendrick Lamar, Queens of the Stone Age, Lorde, Michael Kiwanuka, Crowded House, Young Fathers
OS: Disclosure, Wolf Alice, Sam Fender, Fontaines D.C., King Gizzard &tLW, Years & Years, Beabadoobee, Yungblud, Happy Mondays
WH: Isley Brothers, Brittany Howard, Khruangbin, Danny Brown
JP: London Grammar, Sigrid, Jesus and Mary Chain, Django Django, Sports Team, KSI, Griff
Pa: Manic Street Preachers, Big Thief, The Smile, Girl in Red, Sampa the Great, The Orielles

Py: Paul McCartney, Haim, Aerosmith, Kacey Musgraves, Mabel, Herbie Hancock, Kae Tempest
OS: Jorja Smith, AJ Tracey, Run the Jewels, Little Simz, Metronomy, Pale Waves, Anna Calvi, Nadine Shah, Dream Wife
WH: Bicep, Headie One, Kelis, Les Amazones d'Afrique
JP: Charli XCX, Glass Animals, Jessie Ware, Pa Salieu, Jehnny Beth, Ashnikko, Biig Piig, Dry Cleaning
Pa: Caribou, Leon Bridges, Rina Sawayama, Romy, Squid, Confidence Man

Py: Taylor Swift, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, The Specials, Diana Ross, Arlo Parks, Candi Staton
OS: Pet Shop Boys, Anne Marie, Idles, Anderson Paak, Blossoms, Courtney Barnett, Sea Girls, Rolling Blackouts CF, Nothing But Thieves
WH: Kano, TLC, Roisin Murphy, Snarky Puppy
JP: Bombay Bicycle Club, FKA twigs, Sleaford Mods, Clairo, Inhaler, Holly Humberstone, The Big Moon
Pa: Phoebe Bridgers, Laura Marling, Shame, EOB, Japanese Breakfast

3rd down - maintaining her position - is pretty good to say her comeback album entered at number 5 last time and her tours flopped worldwide. I don't see why she would be expected any higher.

Although, I understand after all the "Lorde on the Other Stage would be too dangerous" shouts last time that people get carried away with her.

24 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Py: Kendrick Lamar, Queens of the Stone Age, Lorde, Michael Kiwanuka, Crowded House, Young Fathers
OS: Disclosure, Wolf Alice, Sam Fender, Fontaines D.C., King Gizzard &tLW, Years & Years, Beabadoobee, Yungblud, Happy Mondays
JP: London Grammar, Sigrid, Jesus and Mary Chain, Django Django, Sports Team, KSI, Griff
Pa: Manic Street Preachers, Big Thief, The Smile, Girl in Red, Sampa the Great, The Orielles

Py: Paul McCartney, Haim, Aerosmith, Kacey Musgraves, Mabel, Herbie Hancock, Kae Tempest
OS: Jorja Smith, AJ Tracey, Run the Jewels, Little Simz, Metronomy, Pale Waves, Anna Calvi, Nadine Shah, Dream Wife
JP: Charli XCX, Glass Animals, Jessie Ware, Pa Salieu, Jehnny Beth, Ashnikko, Biig Piig, Dry Cleaning

Py: Taylor Swift, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, The Specials, Diana Ross, Arlo Parks, Candi Staton
OS: Pet Shop Boys, Anne Marie, Idles, Anderson Paak, Blossoms, Courtney Barnett, Sea Girls, Rolling Blackouts CF, Nothing But Thieves
JP: Bombay Bicycle Club, FKA twigs, Sleaford Mods, Clairo, Inhaler, Holly Humberstone, The Big Moon

I read the first three acts for that Friday pyramid and immediately paid my full deposit. 

No Olivia Rodrigo tho. Anne Marie is not that big.

*edit 100 but the more I read the more I spot wrong. Robyn is probably back.

Edited by Matt42

I’d be delighted with that lineup next year, takes the best of 2020’s lineup and adds in some new acts to keep things fresh. A fairly sparse Friday night for headliners for me, even more so than in 2020, but big clashes on Saturday and Sunday night. Friday evening in general looks stacked though so that’s bang on. 

I agree with you on Lorde. I could see her subbing the Other stage again under a big dance act, as that seemed to suit her really well in 2017, but if not a sideways move to 3rd down Pyramid seems likely.

Arlo Parks on Sunday Pyramid is a great shout. I had been thinking Park/JP sub but she fits early afternoon Pyramid perfectly. 

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

I’d need to invest in a chair and picnic blanket ahead of that Friday Pyramid lineup.

14 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

This would be fantastic for me.

I reckon some positions on the Other are a little jumbled. Yungblud is way bigger than that, Anne Marie is way smaller, and I reckon Jorja would sub AJ's headline slot, rather than the other way round.

I also think Disclosure aren't headliners anymore. Last album flopped and Bicep are a bigger draw within dance music right now — not that they'll be topping Other either per se, but I wouldn't put it past them in 2023/4.

Supergrass are playing in London over the summer so I see no reason they would forfeit that nostalgia booking for 2022. Feels more likely to have Supergrass > Wolf Alice on Friday rather than Wolf Alice > Disclosure.

Bombay Bicycle Club in the JP is a sharp shout. Can see that clear as the light of day. Nice one overall.

I was hesitant because they've dropped off, as you say, but I think it will be another 'dance' act instead of Disclosure if not them. Don't think Wolf Alice are ready. Don't think Bicep are either but buggered if I know who it could be instead - maybe just Fatboy again. I woulda put AJ up there if it wasn't up against Kendrick - but I'm sticking with Jorja headlining Other.

Yungblud shout was a lot like Wombats playing that position. He is much bigger than 2nd on but it's a thing they do. Same with NBT on the Sunday.

Supergrass I forgot about. They could feature but maybe not as high as subbing Other imo.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

No Olivia Rodrigo tho. Anne Marie is not that big.

*edit 100 but the more I read the more I spot wrong. Robyn is probably back.

Yeah I'd like to say I didn't put O-Rod because I think she'll be somewhere else as an exclusive but I just forgot.

Anne Marie just announced an arena tour. I guess her other slots would be the indicator but it doesn't seem too out there.

Would be brave to predict Robyn's touring schedule. She's someone I could see not being bothered about coming back straight away with it being a few years since her last album.

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The Pyramid is the best stage in the country. If the line up is out of the top drawer then there is little reason to shift.

This.

There really is no better place on the planet to watch live music than that field. Watching one of your favourite acts smash a set on there cannot be beaten.

15 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Would be brave to predict Robyn's touring schedule. She's someone I could see not being bothered about coming back straight away with it being a few years since her last album.

She was announced for Way Out West wasn’t she? I wouldn’t be surprised if she ended up just coming back the following year or two with a new album as you say but it does seem like she might be around.