Stage Predictions 2022: For real this time

dentalplan

Py: Kendrick Lamar, Queens of the Stone Age, Elbow, Kacey Musgraves, Little Simz
OS: Disclosure, Wolf Alice, Mabel, Fontaines D.C., King Gizzard &tlw, Pale Waves
WH: Alabama Shakes, Caribou, Vince Staples
JP: The Vaccines, Sigrid, Loski
Pa: Phoebe Bridgers, Django Django, Shame

Py: Paul McCartney, Haim, *special guests*, Yungblud, Crowded House, Candi Staton
OS: Solange, Idles, Run the Jewels, Grimes, Stefflon Don, You Me at Six
WH: Bicep, Headie One, Celeste
JP: Charli XCX, Glass Animals, Rina Sawayama
Pa: Bright Eyes, Kelly Lee Owens, Sault

Py: Taylor Swift, Catfish & the Bottlemen, The Specials, Diana Ross, Herbie Hancock
OS: Royal Blood, The War on Drugs, Blossoms, Jessie Ware, Savages, Sports Team
WH: Jamiroquai, Roisin Murphy, Public Service Broadcasting
JP: Fleet Foxes, FKA twigs, Sleaford Mods
Pa: Courtney Barnett, The Avalanches, Arlo Parks

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Kacey Musgraves > Fontaines D.C. > Queens of the Stone Age > Phoebe Bridgers

Candi Staton > Grimes > Haim > Paul McCartney

Diana Ross > Jessie Ware > The War on Drugs > Taylor Swift

That would be a fantastic weekend for me. 

Some interesting shouts there. I was thinking about this the other day and I agree with Bicep headlining WH, they seem a good for that size of stage now. I agree that they’ll try and have at least one woman headlining each of the main stages, I was struggling to think of women who could headline the Other Stage other than The xx and maybe Wolf Alice but Solange is an interesting idea, definitely not something I’d considered. I wonder who Conor Oberst will manage to offend this time.

10 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

I was struggling to think of women who could headline the Other Stage other than The xx and maybe Wolf Alice but Solange is an interesting idea, definitely not something I’d considered.

Would be a shame to see The xx go back to the Other Stage but I guess a Pyramid headline slot will always be out of reach.

But yeah, I struggled to think of any too. Lizzo would probably be kinda wasted there, and I guess Lorde could factor in but I just don't see her coming back to higher slots. Solange is a bit of an out-there shout as more of a cult figure and not a huge mainstream concern, but she's got Latitude and Lovebox headline slots under her belt now so she's firmly up there and on the map with UK festivals.

10 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Would be a shame to see The xx go back to the Other Stage but I guess a Pyramid headline slot will always be out of reach.

But yeah, I struggled to think of any too. Lizzo would probably be kinda wasted there, and I guess Lorde could factor in but I just don't see her coming back to higher slots. Solange is a bit of an out-there shout as more of a cult figure and not a huge mainstream concern, but she's got Latitude and Lovebox headline slots under her belt now so she's firmly up there and on the map with UK festivals.

Yeah I had Lizzo down to sub which seems a much better fit. 

Do you think the moment has passed for Fatboy Slim to headline Other then? Maybe one to keep back for the next anniversary of if they’re ever really struggling for dance headliners.

18 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I guess in a similar vein, SZA supposedly has a new album coming out. I know she didnt do much in EU last time she played, but I guess if Kendrick is playing its not too out of the question for other TDE members to come along with him...?

Too early but here’s some things I’d like

Lizzo pyramid sub

If one headliner has to go it can be Macca. Get blur back!

QOTSA might be at R&L. But I guess there’s a chance of both!

SZA, BICEP, Isley Brothers west holts. Thom can pack it in and come back in 2023 with Radiohead.

I kinda want the lineup to have a bit of a shakeup though. I think the festival should acknowledge that 2 years have past now and the lineup should reflect 2022 not a delayed 2020

Edited by Matt42

Solange would have one of the smallest crowds the OS had ever seen if she headlined imo, and that’s before you factor in it being Macca up against her. 

Although I’d love to be wrong, I don’t see the lineup being quite as cut and paste of the 2020 lineup as this. I think there’ll be a lot more changes, including headliners, than there would’ve been had this year gone ahead.

44 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

I was struggling to think of women who could headline the Other Stage other than The xx and maybe Wolf Alice but Solange is an interesting idea, definitely not something I’d considered. I wonder who Conor Oberst will manage to offend this time.

Lorde, The XX come to mind. Then there’s the chance of Dua Lipa.

Solange. Not a chance.

I have a feeling we could get 2020’s headliners again - but see some revisions to the undercard.

Lana could definitely be back - but I reckon Noel is gone along with whoever the Sunday sub was.

Another big Q for me is Dua Lipa. Will she be booked for 2022? Or is she better to come back and headline in 2023 now? She should have her next album by then.

It would also line up another female headliner for a future festival.

Edited by Matt42

27 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

Yeah I had Lizzo down to sub which seems a much better fit. 

Do you think the moment has passed for Fatboy Slim to headline Other then? Maybe one to keep back for the next anniversary of if they’re ever really struggling for dance headliners.

Yeah Fatboy Slim was an anniversary thing. Rolling him over for 2021 was one thing but pretty much nobody will be considering 2022 as the 50th anniversary. Think it's just gone.

17 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I guess in a similar vein, SZA supposedly has a new album coming out. I know she didnt do much in EU last time she played, but I guess if Kendrick is playing its not too out of the question for other TDE members to come along with him...?

Maybe. SZA isn't really part of the crew like that though. I think she's part of TDE kinda against her will so I doubt they'll be a package deal.

16 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Solange would have one of the smallest crowds the OS had ever seen if she headlined imo, and that’s before you factor in it being Macca up against her. 

Although I’d love to be wrong, I don’t see the lineup being quite as cut and paste of the 2020 lineup as this. I think there’ll be a lot more changes, including headliners, than there would’ve been had this year gone ahead.

Probably. I see it as a bit of a Christine and the Queens thing. I imagine that crowd was small. But Solange has headlined Latitude and Lovebox as I said so she must be in with a shout. We were talking about Robyn subbing Pyramid when she has played those festivals without headlining.

I did go out of my way to change as much as I can and I think it must be at least 70% new. I don't think acts will be barred from returning and, if they merit it, they should be able to be part of the 2022 crop.

I see no earthly reason to change those headliners if they're all available and willing.

Edited by dentalplan

4 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Py: Kendrick Lamar, Queens of the Stone Age, Elbow, Kacey Musgraves, Little Simz
OS: Disclosure, Wolf Alice, Mabel, Fontaines D.C., King Gizzard &tlw, Pale Waves
WH: Alabama Shakes, Caribou, Vince Staples
JP: The Vaccines, Sigrid, Loski
Pa: Phoebe Bridgers, Django Django, Shame

Py: Paul McCartney, Haim, *special guests*, Yungblud, Crowded House, Candi Staton
OS: Solange, Idles, Run the Jewels, Grimes, Stefflon Don, You Me at Six
WH: Bicep, Headie One, Celeste
JP: Charli XCX, Glass Animals, Rina Sawayama
Pa: Bright Eyes, Kelly Lee Owens, Sault

Py: Taylor Swift, Catfish & the Bottlemen, The Specials, Diana Ross, Herbie Hancock
OS: Royal Blood, The War on Drugs, Blossoms, Jessie Ware, Savages, Sports Team
WH: Jamiroquai, Roisin Murphy, Public Service Broadcasting
JP: Fleet Foxes, FKA twigs, Sleaford Mods
Pa: Courtney Barnett, The Avalanches, Arlo Parks

You should have the job! I’m writing to Eavis...

Reckon they will be more than a few surprises.  There’s always talk that some acts are booked two years in advance. So the 2020 bands that agreed to roll over will be in addition to the 2021 ones that were provisionally booked and also the 2022 ones that were pencilled in! There’s big decisions to be made, Something has to give.  Whatever happens it’s gonna be a clash nightmare, and I can’t wait! 

Phoebe as the first headliner back, on the Park stage would just be magical. Ending on I Know The End would be a proper Glastonbury moment. Or a Sunday, Rex Orange County-esque headline set would also be great. It'd be a nice addition if there was a full backing band as hearing live strings and trumpets would elevate the set to another level.