Stage Predictions 2022: For real this time

dentalplan

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

I'd question him as headline yet. I don't think Other but Pyramid sub for me. I wasn't surprised he subbed last time but I also wouldn't have thought any different at 3rd.

If he releases another album with a single on it that sells the level of shotgun/Budapest/paradise then he's in. It wont be a huge headliner and its not an exciting one personally but that would be 3 number 1 albums and a bunch of top 5/10 singles, which is more than we can say for Stormzy at the time or Billie who will headline of the 2nd. 

26 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

If he releases another album with a single on it that sells the level of shotgun/Budapest/paradise then he's in. It wont be a huge headliner and its not an exciting one personally but that would be 3 number 1 albums and a bunch of top 5/10 singles, which is more than we can say for Stormzy at the time or Billie who will headline of the 2nd. 

You just have to look at the crowd he got for his sub slot and how much they were loving it to see that he’s a future headliner.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

You just have to look at the crowd he got for his sub slot and how much they were loving it to see that he’s a future headliner.

I think it comes to the ole discussion of even if you don't like the artist you can't deny their size and sometimes that can get overlooked in these conversations. George Ezra/Billie Eilish/Arctic Monkeys in 2023/2024 might not seem like the most inspiring line up to people who dont like some of those artists but if George's 3rd and Billies 2nd continue the route they're on it would be a huge trio.

1 hour ago, chazwwe said:

I think it comes to the ole discussion of even if you don't like the artist you can't deny their size and sometimes that can get overlooked in these conversations. George Ezra/Billie Eilish/Arctic Monkeys in 2023/2024 might not seem like the most inspiring line up to people who dont like some of those artists but if George's 3rd and Billies 2nd continue the route they're on it would be a huge trio.

I think only the willfully ignorant would try to deny any of those are headliner level.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

He has loads of hits. More than most headliners have, with only two albums to his name.

Not just big radio hits, his last album was the biggest selling record the year it came out. A lot of people will know a lot of his stuff.

Think this is a case of the eFests echo chamber underestimating how popular someone is.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Not just big radio hits, his last album was the biggest selling record the year it came out. A lot of people will know a lot of his stuff.

Think this is a case of the eFests echo chamber underestimating how popular someone is.

In efests world nick cave gets a bigger crowd than George Ezra 

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Definitely a thing. I can't get my head around Billie Eilish being a headliner, but I'm self-aware enough to know that I'm really not representative of the rest of the world 😄

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

Definitely a thing. I can't get my head around Billie Eilish being a headliner, but I'm self-aware enough to know that I'm really not representative of the rest of the world 😄

She’s not for me either, gave her album a listen. Enjoyed the first few tracks (Bad Guy is an indisputable banger) but it all started to sound the same after that.

At the same time though it’s impossible to deny she’s massive and if she plays she headlines.

7 minutes ago, Quark said:

Really? She is absolutely huge now.

12 minutes ago, henry bear said:

5 top 10 hits, same as Lewis Capaldi, who also sells similar amounts of albums. No top 10 single since 2018. He’s a IOW/Latitude headliner.

Lewis Capaldi who is also fucking gigantic? And no top 10 singles since 2018? wtf haha that is a silly argument. He is clearly huge and could clearly headline.

Are we seriously talking about George Ezra as a Pyramid headliner here?

Maybe off the back of an epic next album. Maybe. I don’t see it otherwise…

(No hate, I like a lot of his songs - but his level of widespread popularity just isn’t there, surely?)

30 minutes ago, Mellotr0n said:

Really? She is absolutely huge now.

Oh I get that. By all the agreed counts she's up there. But I personally can't get my head around it. And I know I'm wrong 😄

The thing I struggle with most (and I'd put Jorja Smith in the same category tbh) is that's not a style of music I can imagine headlining.  All a bit subdued y'know? Bad Guy aside, which is a banger.

But I know I don't have a clue, so when they do end up on top I'll nod, smile, and bugger off to watch something that's more to my taste!