Stage Predictions 2022: For real this time

dentalplan

7 hours ago, sameimpala said:

EB7AF240-915A-4634-AB8E-BA4021B51192.jpeg

That's a good dig to be honest. Sam Fender is too big though for JP especially by then. Jorja is a good shout in that place. Cave under Billie is good but I'd still have DLipa in that other sub spot.

Manics were a Park headliner for this year so I'd expect the same and their latest tour would say as much. Weezer wouldn't be that low but that would be a great run. Weezer, Manics, Lorde and Swift would be great.

9 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

That's a good dig to be honest. Sam Fender is too big though for JP especially by then. Jorja is a good shout in that place. Cave under Billie is good but I'd still have DLipa in that other sub spot.

Manics were a Park headliner for this year so I'd expect the same and their latest tour would say as much. Weezer wouldn't be that low but that would be a great run. Weezer, Manics, Lorde and Swift would be great.

Dua Lipa won’t sub, she’s close to headline material in her own right now. She’ll wait rather than take a lower slot IMO.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Dua Lipa won’t sub, she’s close to headline material in her own right now. She’ll wait rather than take a lower slot IMO.

We will see I guess. She still has a lot of tickets on her tour left to sell. But if that's the case then I'd just do a straight swap with LDR. Her, Noel and Cave is fairly well balanced to cover bases.

Edited by thewayiam

11 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I’m glad we agree that there is no logical place for Dua on the 2022 lineup, and she really should wait until she can headline. 🙂 

I could see it going down fine too, it’s not like they are booting her off the lineup - but offering her a better option for her career.

12 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Been thinking this weekend. Expecting some fiery replies!

Pyramid: Kendrick Lamar, Billie Eilish, Taylor Swift

Other: Fatboy Slim, Wolf Alice, Pet Shop Boys

West Holts: The Smile, Bicep, Kano

Park: The Flaming Lips, Manic Street Preachers, London Grammar.

John Peel: Editors, Primal Scream, Glass Animals

Legend: Diana Ross (obviously)

Pyramid subs: Lana Del Rey, HAIM, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.

Other subs: Supergrass, Idles, Robyn

and the big elephant in the room...
Dua Lipa not returning, instead being offered a headline slot for 2023. Alongside Paul McCartney and Dave 🙂 

Obviously you're not budging on Paul McCartney being replaced by Billie Eilish so I'll skip that.

As has been said, the John Peel headliners are pretty much the same but with Charli XCX removed and Glass Animals bumped up. No obvious reason why.

I agree with the Pyramid subs.

Fatboy Slim will be gone, I think. If there was an act who was booked because it's the 50th anniversary, it is Fatboy Slim headlining Other. He could be replaced by AJ Tracey here I reckon.

I think Wolf Alice will sub Other. Agree Idles will probs sub it too, though they could be one lower with the slots they're taking.

The Smile don't sound like they suit West Holts at all. It's not quite a like for like replacement of Thom Yorke as TMB was his techno shit and The Smile is straightforward rock.

Flaming Lips won't headline the Park again after one festival/album since they last did it.

7 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Billie Eilish, Dua Lipa, Sam Fender, Run The Jewels

Fatboy Slim, AJ Tracey

Macca, Noel, Aerosmith

Pet Shop Boys, Anne-Marie

Taylor Swift, Nick Cave, HAIM, Diana Ross

Tame Impala ,Wolf Alice

Like this but as mentioned about Fatboy Slim, I can't see him being booked to headline Other again.

Tame Impala too soon for that slot. Run the Jewels pretty did the same slot last time so I think they'll be on Other or Holts if about.

7 hours ago, sameimpala said:

EB7AF240-915A-4634-AB8E-BA4021B51192.jpeg

Hmm. Big reshuffle of the same acts going on here, with acts moving staying but swapping stages. Might happen I guess.

Elbow and The Specials are too low on Pyramid. I don't think Lorde subs if Haim are there - they're the bigger act. Sold out the O2 among other arenas. I really hope they sub.

Twenty One Pilots are a cool shout for Other Stage headliner that I always forget about. Chvrches pretty high in this day and age when they've lost a lot of steam. Also Silk City are a random addition, I don't think they've been active in a long while. David Gray would be tragic.

Bicep coming in as a new West Holts headliner seems like an easy one. I'd probably expect an older act headlining one night above Little Simz, like Isley Brothers. It's missing quite a lot of older and worldy acts actually.

Porter Robinson is pretty wrong for the Park. Damon would be comfortable headlining it - he might already have actually. Kaiser Chiefs are pretty wrong for it and I think FKA Twigs and Fontaines DC would headline the Park, if they're not too big for it.

24 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Don't know about Sam Fender. Before he pulled out in 2019 he was due to play mid afternoon JPT and a set on Leftfield, and that was when the hype around him was big just before his album came out. As an artist that relied on a heavy touring schedule to get himself out there he's really missed out over the last 12 months, and unless I've missed something he's not anything new out?

Unless he explodes again over the next 12 months I think a JPT headline slot would be about right for him in terms of size.  He's right under the radar these days, which isn't to say he won't rocket back up but right now he's not as high profile as he was in 2019.

1 hour ago, kingcrawler said:

I’m sure Neil had info that Charli XCX was headlining JP, we all just assumed Saturday and ran with that but we never had a day confirmed. I don’t think Jesus & Mary Chain would have headlined it but it’s a fair point that we never had confirmed headliners for it.

Ah true - I do think we were getting mixed messages though. Either way the JP looked very too heavy in 2020 - editors, fka, Charli, primal scream, glass animals - and that’s not counting any stars like Aitch playing who would demand a time close to the top. No idea what the final bill for that stage would have looked like. They should have put Charli on other (maybe other sub) too as the tent would be way too packed. 

I’m very interested to see if they cut Fatboy Slim. Sad to say but it would definitely free up the lineup a bit more and probably assist in putting people in the right slots. A few artists would look out of place in 2020 if they just rolled over to the same slot.

@dentaIpIan smile to headline the park then? I think you’re right, not quite west holts.

Glad we are all in agreement about a few things 😛 I do think it’s more likely to see 2020 acts reshuffled than them booking lots of new artists. This is why I’m sceptical of Lorde coming back. It’s all pretty quiet on the Lorde front and since 2022 events are slowly dropping now I don’t think there’s been any sign she’s on the festival circuit yet. Even if she releases music in 2022 I think she will be a 2023 act.

If AJ was meant to be third down pyramid Friday he could either jump from third down to headliner on the Friday to replace Fatboy, or he could move over to the Saturday to replace Dua?

I would say Saturday because I need to hold steady that my pyramid headliners are Kenny, Billie, Tay - as I doubt they’d put AJ on against Kenny.

Wolf Alice, AJ Tracey, Pet Shop Boys would be a great trio but it doesn’t sound very other stage to me?

Edited by Matt42

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

@dentaIpIan smile to headline the park then? I think you’re right, not quite west holts.

Glad we are all in agreement about a few things 😛 I do think it’s more likely to see 2020 acts reshuffled than them booking lots of new artists. This is why I’m sceptical of Lorde coming back. It’s all pretty quiet on the Lorde front and since 2022 events are slowly dropping now I don’t think there’s been any sign she’s on the festival circuit yet. Even if she releases music in 2022 I think she will be a 2023 act.

If AJ was meant to be third down pyramid Friday he could either jump from third down to headliner on the Friday to replace Fatboy, or he could move over to the Saturday to replace Dua?

I would say Saturday because I need to hold steady that my pyramid headliners are Kenny, Billie, Tay - as I doubt they’d put AJ on against Kenny.

To be honest I think the Other would look very different if those were the Pyramid headliners. I‘be got a feeling about Jorja Smith replacing Dua Lipa and as you say, AJ against Kendrick doesn’t work. So leaning more to him subbing Other now.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

To be honest I think the Other would look very different if those were the Pyramid headliners. I‘be got a feeling about Jorja Smith replacing Dua Lipa and as you say, AJ against Kendrick doesn’t work. So leaning more to him subbing Other now.

I personally think Jorja is pyramid bound. She’s not played on a major stage yet (I don’t think). 

A good one to note down though for a future other headliner! Hadn’t thought of that!

The only way I can see Dua still performing (in either sub headline or other stage slot) is if she carried on her confirmation from 2020. 

I just can't see Macca not showing up and I can't see Billie doing a full length UK/EU tour and then doing Glastonbury as a headline slot which I dont think happens all that often, normally its 1-2 gigs and another festival or two. 

Wolf Alice/Idles/AJ Tracey would be a huge sub headline trio for the Other Stage. 

I would die for HAIM > NIck Cave > Taylor. That would probably be one of my favourite ends to a festival ever. 

48 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I’m glad we agree that there is no logical place for Dua on the 2022 lineup, and she really should wait until she can headline. 🙂 

I could see it going down fine too, it’s not like they are booting her off the lineup - but offering her a better option for her career.

By next June Future Nostalgia will be two and a half years old and she could easily have another record if not finished then certainly in the pipeline.

Coming back in June 23 with a new album to headline the whole thing makes sense for all parties. 

34 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Obviously you're not budging on Paul McCartney being replaced by Billie Eilish so I'll skip that.

I agree with the Pyramid subs.

Fatboy Slim will be gone, I think. If there was an act who was booked because it's the 50th anniversary, it is Fatboy Slim headlining Other. He could be replaced by AJ Tracey here I reckon.

I think Wolf Alice will sub Other. Agree Idles will probs sub it too, though they could be one lower with the slots they're playing this year.

Like this but as mentioned about Fatboy Slim, I can't see him being booked to headline Other again.

Tame Impala too soon for that slot. Run the Jewels pretty did the same slot last time so I think they'll be on Other or Holts if about.

Tbh TI and RTJ were due to lack of idea on Others and I forgot Tame already did it Friday but don't follow them.

Actually, AJ Tracey, Robyn and Wolf Alice for Other sub shout I think. Supergrass, Blossoms and Idles to play 3rd Other. Idles have done a  right at Ally Pally and are doing Cardiff Motorpoint but you can still freely get tickets for it.

I'll go LDR, Noel and Cave for Pyramid sub.

HAIM, Aerosmith and Jorja Smith for 3rd down.

Anne-Marie will fit in somewhere though I feel in the top 4.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Silk City are a random addition, I don't think they've been active in a long while. David Gray would be tragic.

I made this too late. I meant silk sonic or whatever bruno and anderson's thing is called.   David Gray would be tragic which is why it will happen 😉

7 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Tbh TI and RTJ were due to lack of idea on Others and I forgot Tame already did it Friday but don't follow them.

Actually, AJ Tracey, Robyn and Wolf Alice for Other sub shout I think. Supergrass, Blossoms and Idles to play 3rd Other. Idles have done a  right at Ally Pally and are doing Cardiff Motorpoint but you can still freely get tickets for it.

I'll go LDR, Noel and Cave for Pyramid sub.

HAIM, Aerosmith and Jorja Smith for 3rd down.

Robyn would be a fantastic other sub but I'd hope she's on Friday so I can actually see her. Some of her songs as the sun is setting would be phenomenal. 

I really can't see Jorja being 3rd down on Pyramid, Other maybe, but shes not that size yet. Taking in her All Points East performance next year would put her on the same level as London Grammar and Jamie XX. Who I can also see being there, also as others have said I can see most performers from this weekend being there, where would Kano be? 

19 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Robyn would be a fantastic other sub but I'd hope she's on Friday so I can actually see her. Some of her songs as the sun is setting would be phenomenal. 

I really can't see Jorja being 3rd down on Pyramid, Other maybe, but shes not that size yet. Taking in her All Points East performance next year would put her on the same level as London Grammar and Jamie XX. Who I can also see being there, also as others have said I can see most performers from this weekend being there, where would Kano be? 

London Grammar aren't that big. I put Jorja there based of others but originally I had her 4th Pyramid under Aerosmith. For me 3rd does seem too high.

19 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Now thinking a 2023 trio of Dua Lipa, George Ezra and Fleetwood Mac.

Dua Lipa, Arctic Monkeys and FM

25 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Now thinking a 2023 trio of Dua Lipa, George Ezra and Fleetwood Mac.

I have a gut feeling the hype around George Ezra is tapering off and Glasto can just get him to sub / headline other. He’s definitely not in a headline or nothing position in his career.

38 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Did you put a radio 1 playlist on shuffle and pick a random artist? She’s really not that big. She’s noway near a position where she can be picky about the slots she books.

28 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

It’s crept up on me too but she’s headlining Bordmasters and I think she has a muted, yet large, following. I also think she will get a friend of the festival treatment. I definitely can see 3rd down, but also 4th down if it’s a super strong year.

London Grammar I think will be back headlining Park, like they were for 2020.

Dave, Macca, Dua feels right to me. If I’m extremely wrong with the Billie thing maybe Arctic’s, Blur, or Radiohead in Macca’s place?  I’ve given up predicting Fleetwood Mac.

We’ve got plenty to look forward to!

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I have a gut feeling the hype around George Ezra is tapering off and Glasto can just get him to sub / headline other. He’s definitely not in a headline or nothing position in his career.

There's no hype around him right now because he hasn't released anything for a few years, I guarantee that when his next album comes along he'll be massive again, just like Sheeran. He'll headline next time he plays, he's already done a sub slot that was massive, he'll be a British first timer and has given time to the L@WF stream so is probably considered a friend of the festival (does anyone think those who contributed won't be looked on favourably in future bookings?). Plus he's already headlined (or at least was due to pre-COVID) mid-level festivals so he's well along the path.

Nailed on headliner IMO.

43 minutes ago, sameimpala said:

I made this too late. I meant silk sonic or whatever bruno and anderson's thing is called.   David Gray would be tragic which is why it will happen 😉

I can't see Silk Sonic showing up, I feel like they're gonna have a super special Coachella show and that be their only festival appearance. I imagine they'll do some of their own songs within the set as well which will bump it up huge. Its Bruno Mars who could easily headline the festival. 

11 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

It’s crept up on me too but she’s headlining Bordmasters and I think she has a muted, yet large, following. I also think she will get a friend of the festival treatment. I definitely can see 3rd down, but also 4th down if it’s a super strong year.

London Grammar I think will be back headlining Park, like they were for 2020.

I forgot thats where they were meant to be, that's a great slot for them. I just can't see it, I wouldn't put them on the same level as HAIM. Or if you look at 2019, which the 3 were unusually huge. Maybe I'll change my mind if she has a 2nd album drop by then, but she has no lead singles in the UK and no huge album to warrant it. 

My theory for this actually can continue if you look at 4th down in 2019, Bastille/Hozier. Who I don't even think she's on their size, personally, maybe Hozier more so. 

Edited by chazwwe

16 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

There's no hype around him right now because he hasn't released anything for a few years, I guarantee that when his next album comes along he'll be massive again, just like Sheeran. He'll headline next time he plays, he's already done a sub slot that was massive, he'll be a British first timer and has given time to the L@WF stream so is probably considered a friend of the festival (does anyone think those who contributed won't be looked on favourably in future bookings?). Plus he's already headlined (or at least was due to pre-COVID) mid-level festivals so he's well along the path.

Nailed on headliner IMO.

I'd question him as headline yet. I don't think Other but Pyramid sub for me. I wasn't surprised he subbed last time but I also wouldn't have thought any different at 3rd.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Yeah, Boardmasters and All Points East headline sets should qualify her for the task of headlining the Other Stage.

They wanted to try book women headlining each stage, as @kingcrawler said earlier. Jorja coming off the back of those headline sets makes more sense than Wolf Alice coming off the back of playing before Yungblud this summer.

Higher end of the Pyramid is already pretty mobbed with names whereas we’re not expecting two of the Other headliners to return.

11 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah, Boardmasters and All Points East headline sets should qualify her for the task of headlining the Other Stage.

They wanted to try book women headlining each stage, as @kingcrawler said earlier. Jorja coming off the back of those headline sets makes more sense than Wolf Alice coming off the back of playing before Yungblud this summer.

Higher end of the Pyramid is already pretty mobbed with names whereas we’re not expecting two of the Other headliners to return.

You’ve sold me 🙂 Jorja for other!