I am going to .............. festival instead.

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, The other Bellboy said:

i wouldn't bank on it just yet, for NZ returnee's you have to book and pay for a voucher for a quaranteen hotel and show this to the airline before you are allowed on the plane to return home. if that's what they decide to do for the UK then it will come in. doubt they will go that far though.

I'd quite happily stay here longer, but sadly need to return due to Brexit and the stupid 90 day Schengen rule we will now need to abide to. However if they said don't travel instead, I'd take it! 

As I said though, I can't see it being introduced in the UK anyway.

26 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

Am already away and have been since September. Due to come back before end of March, won't be paying to quarantine for sure and lots of people who go away for winter won't either. Already got issues with their quarantine system as don't have an address to quarantine at either lol.

What technology is it? Is it mobile phone related or an actual tag?

Kind of varies, in parts of Asia it's an actual tag - then other countries have been using mobile phone technology with selfies that get taken at your home address, using geolocation.

16 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

I'd quite happily stay here longer, but sadly need to return due to Brexit and the stupid 90 day Schengen rule we will now need to abide to. However if they said don't travel instead, I'd take it! 

As I said though, I can't see it being introduced in the UK anyway.

I absolutely can, Hancock has already given indications that people should not book overseas holidays for summer. "Enjoy a British summer" as he says.

All indicators are that they will start going hard on border control.

8 hours ago, MrBarry465 said:

Kind of varies, in parts of Asia it's an actual tag - then other countries have been using mobile phone technology with selfies that get taken at your home address, using geolocation.

No way they would bring that in here. 😅

This isn't Asia, is there any western countries that have introduced this?

Will they be supplying mobile phones too? 

Toss up between end of the road and bearded theory for me. Will be me, the wife and a 3 and 1 year old. End of the road festival looks like a really good like up but it’s a lot further and more expensive, bearded theory will be about £300 whilst end of the road will be £450 and it’s 4 and a bit hours away but Bearded theory is only an hour and a half. Can’t find anything out about the camping at bearded theory, do they have separate family camping?

1 hour ago, dotdash79 said:

Yes and a huge kids area in the main arena too with lots of stuff for all ages. 

Child only loos in there too which helps, but the loos in general are very good anyway.

Having looked at quite a few options over the last few days (I don't have a Glasto ticket anyway so not in light of recent events, but this thread has spurred me on!) I'm thinking Lost Village and End of the Road look like frontrunners. Anyone here done both? I'm guessing EOTR is a bit more bands orientated and LV a bit more dancey? And is LV smaller? Really like the look of the site.

If Supernormal is on and I get tickets will do that too. And I will take the Green Man line-up under advisement.

Summer could be saved! 

1 hour ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

One thing I don't understand, is why are some of these /small/ festivals so expensive? Like Lost VIllage is £237.60 at the moment... it's only got a few stages and its not like its got big acts. So where's the money going? 

It is hard to justify paying it when Glastonbury is very similarly priced 

2 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

One thing I don't understand, is why are some of these /small/ festivals so expensive? Like Lost VIllage is £237.60 at the moment... it's only got a few stages and its not like its got big acts. So where's the money going? 

I’d say LV put a bit of cash into the production side of things. It’s a very visually appealing festival with a theme to it. 

Maybe that’s it? 

4 minutes ago, Fred Zepplin said:

It is hard to justify paying it when Glastonbury is very similarly priced 

Surely it depends on what you want out of a festival?

There are people who go to Glastonbury and don't care about the Pyramid / big names. If Lost Village does offer what they want then at 50-60 quid cheaper it's an absolute bargain by comparison.

The price of Glastonbury can't be directly compared to other festivals because it's not intended to be the same experience - Glastonbury offers a bit of almost everything and while it generally does those things well and I love the variety, if someone would rather focus on some specific area/genre then you can often find that being done better at a more niche festival.

Glastonbury is not directly run for profit and its priced as such. Tickets are also massively oversubscribed, it’s phenomenal value but you’ve got to be lucky enough to get a ticket to benefit from that value.

Pretty much every other festival out there is run purely as a commercial operation so is priced accordingly. Most Festivals will charge what they think they can get away with and still sell out. You can compare something like LV to Glastonbury, but it’s not like everyone has the choice to buy a Glastonbury ticket, otherwise they would! 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, incident said:

Shiiine On?

Or one of the other, less credible, Butlins weekends.

I booked Shiiine On last weekend just ahead of Glastonbury being cancelled.

It was on the basis that I wanted something to look forward to that has a reasonable chance of happening. Shiine On is that festival for the following reasons:

(1) it’s not til November

(2) There’s no build as the infrastructure is already there. Therefore their balance of risk in terms of TRYING to put it on is completely different to other festivals - they won’t incur anywhere near the same losses if they plan it and it doesn’t happen, and they are an existing infrastructure that is going to be losing money all summer - so investing in things to happen next autumn/winter is a good gamble for them to take rather than a dangerous one.

(3) The general age range is older than most festivals and therefore much more likely to have been fully vaccinated in good time.

it’s nothing like a camping festival (I went a couple of years ago) & the atmosphere is a bit different in that it feels like mayyyyybe (I might be off here but I don’t think so) many of the audience are mainly ‘retired’ from going out but come to this and re-live their youth once a year - so not quite the usual festival crowd/vibe.

Nonetheless, I’m glad I’ve got a ticket and I’m optimistic.

BTW - very close to selling out so if you think this could be for you just go for it - they’ve got an easy payment scheme and a cast iron money back policy right down to ‘even if it goes ahead but you personally still don’t feel comfortable to be in a crowded place we’ll refund.

I’m going to sign up with Oxfam for as many later summer festivals as possible, but I don’t feel as optimistic.

Edited by amfy

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Plenty of weekend festivals with camping are priced around £200-250. It’s only because Glastonbury is priced similarly they look expensive.

If GF had to pay similar rates to acts that other festivals do then I shudder to think what the ticket price would look like.

Yep G is a complete outlier. Acts don’t play LV festival, or any other festival, for any other reason than for as much cash as they can reasonably demand. 

1 hour ago, amfy said:

I booked Shiiine On last weekend just ahead of Glastonbury being cancelled.

It was on the basis that I wanted something to look forward to that has a reasonable chance of happening. Shiine On is that festival for the following reasons:

(1) it’s not til November

(2) There’s no build as the infrastructure is already there. Therefore their balance of risk in terms of TRYING to put it on is completely different to other festivals - they won’t incur anywhere near the same losses if they plan it and it doesn’t happen, and they are an existing infrastructure that is going to be losing money all summer - so investing in things to happen next autumn/winter is a good gamble for them to take rather than a dangerous one.

(3) The general age range is older than most festivals and therefore much more likely to have been fully vaccinated in good time.

it’s nothing like a camping festival (I went a couple of years ago) & the atmosphere is a bit different in that it feels like mayyyyybe (I might be off here but I don’t think so) many of the audience are mainly ‘retired’ from going out but come to this and re-live their youth once a year - so not quite the usual festival crowd/vibe.

Nonetheless, I’m glad I’ve got a ticket and I’m optimistic.

I actually forgot I've booked Shiiine On, too! Thanks for the reminder, I really should put it in my diary. I'm thinking it's most likely going to be my only multi-day event of the year