2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

10 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

So we're all agreed; Ariana Grande is not a credible option. 

I don’t think she is yet, personally, but I think she could easily be there in the not to distant future. She’s certainly closer to it than, say, BTS, but I don’t think she’s an act they’d look to book right now.

I like Ariana and I think she has some top tunes, but she also has a lot of stuff that, in my opinion, falls more in to the fad/meme category that generates a gazillion tiktok views and then people swiftly move to the next thing. She certainly has the talent to take it to the next level in terms of credibility though.

She has a bunch of critically acclaimed albums and a Coachella headline slot in her history. She has the credibility.

I think she exists in the same realm as The Weeknd and sorta Drake too. Huge artists but probably not huge with people who go to Glastonbury or perhaps UK festivals in general.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

She has a bunch of critically acclaimed albums and a Coachella headline slot in her history. She has the credibility.

I think she exists in the same realm as The Weeknd and sorta Drake too. Huge artists but probably not huge with people who go to Glastonbury or perhaps UK festivals in general.

Agree with this.  If V still existed all of the above would have headlined it but I’m not sure they’ll ever do Glastonbury

3 minutes ago, sisco said:

Agree with this.  If V still existed all of the above would have headlined it but I’m not sure they’ll ever do Glastonbury

I was shocked to learn the other day that V was actually planned to go ahead last year at the Chelmsford site. They had Dizzee and Olly Murs down to headline.

I thought it died years ago.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

I was shocked to learn the other day that V was actually planned to go ahead last year at the Chelmsford site. They had Dizzee and Olly Murs down to headline.

I thought it died years ago.

V did die years ago.. Last years "festival" with those names was them grabbing some Archive footage from previous years and pasting it together as a "Virtual Festival" in a cheap cash-grab.

So a true tribute to the V legacy.

2 minutes ago, incident said:

V did die years ago.. Last years "festival" with those names was them grabbing some Archive footage from previous years and pasting it together as a "Virtual Festival" in a cheap cash-grab.

So a true tribute to the V legacy.

Ah I see. Was looking through their past lineups to see if Gaga had ever headlined and saw they had a lineup for last year. Assumed they were trying to bring it back.

The number of times Stereophonics headlined was truly frightening.

24 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Again, semantics. That’s what I see as credibility - credibility with the Glastonbury crowd. I think most of us are arguing the same point here.

20 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

Not sure how much you would call him a rapper though? I'd argue he falls more into the generic popstar category...

Nah he is a rapper, was in two big rap beefs, huge UK rap collabs with Headie One, Giggs and Dave. A lot of his more critically acclaimed songs have pure rapping. Sure he's made a lot of generic pop stuff but I think he sees himself as a master of both. 

7 hours ago, Haan said:

Nah he is a rapper, was in two big rap beefs, huge UK rap collabs with Headie One, Giggs and Dave. A lot of his more critically acclaimed songs have pure rapping. Sure he's made a lot of generic pop stuff but I think he sees himself as a master of both. 

Ed Sheeran has also done plenty of rap collabs, doesn't make him a rapper.

Agreed I think he likes to think of himself as a rapper, but when you think of his biggest tracks (Hotline Bling, One Dance, Hold On We're Going Home, Take Care, God's Plan, Nice For What) I think they all lean to more of a pop image

50 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Ed Sheeran has also done plenty of rap collabs, doesn't make him a rapper.

Agreed I think he likes to think of himself as a rapper, but when you think of his biggest tracks (Hotline Bling, One Dance, Hold On We're Going Home, Take Care, God's Plan, Nice For What) I think they all lean to more of a pop image

He’s a rapper in anyone’s book. Don’t gatekeep.

2 hours ago, mike46 said:

Drunk opinion, but having just heard the latest Wolf Alice track. GIVE THEM A CHANCE.

What a band. What a voice. Sublime. 

Definitely agree - it won’t happen next year, but they are ready for it now and could have been headlining next year but for the current circumstances.

And yes - what a voice

Edited by circus92

On 6/3/2021 at 5:20 AM, Suprefan said:

So where did Jay Z come into that without it. It got the fest Beyonce and Kanye, though.

Chris Martin was the link there, as I recall. Great relationship with the festival and great friendship with Jay-Z. 

On 6/2/2021 at 8:20 PM, Suprefan said:

So where did Jay Z come into that without it. It got the fest Beyonce and Kanye, though.

Not really. As said Chris persuaded Beyonce by all account's. And as for success stories, one was pulled with flying colours. Regardless of my views on Kanye, it was the most mixed controversial reaction I've seen to a headliner and didn't really work is the angle I got.

I mean, Noel Gallagher even gave praise for the first hour then it went.

On 6/2/2021 at 8:30 PM, nikkic said:

I always think Jay Z is the most important headliner of the modern era.

Was a ballsy move from Emily and allowed the festival to go in a different direction. 

Seems weird calling it ballsy now because he was the biggest rapper on the planet and critically acclaimed, but it really was a big move then. 

I give you ballsy but important?, not for me. They could have both Beyonce and Kanye and Stormzy without booking him. 

10 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

Why doesn't Taylor Swift, the biggest of the rappers (have you heard her verse on Shake It Off?), simply eat the other rappers? 

This enormous woman will devour us all!

Edited by SwedgeAntilles

13 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

when you think of his biggest tracks (Hotline Bling, One Dance, Hold On We're Going Home, Take Care, God's Plan, Nice For What) I think they all lean to more of a pop image

You can make this argument with so many rappers post 808s and heartbreak though. I do agree his biggest songs are pop but he is more a rapper who makes pop songs rather than the other way round. He even has a (sub par) fire in the booth!