2021 New Music

dentalplan

Just now, Gacheezbo said:

haha ffs, soon as I posted that I knew this reply was coming 😂  anti-lockdown anti-vaccine Ian brown fuckery****

Reminds me of a Facebook acquaintance who I happen to think is a bit of a pompous arse. He announced that he had a postive COVID test and quite a few people replied saying stay positive. I wasn't sure if people had the same opinion of him as me and just hoped it would shut him up for a while or if they were genuinely hoping that with a positive frame of mind the effects wouldn't be too bad. 😄 

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

Reminds me of a Facebook acquaintance who I happen to think is a bit of a pompous arse. He announced that he had a postive COVID test and quite a few people replied saying stay positive. I wasn't sure if people had the same opinion of him as me and just hoped it would shut him up for a while or if they were genuinely hoping that with a positive frame of mind the effects wouldn't be too bad. 😄 

You have Trump on Facebook?! 

So last week I was listening to Bandcamp weekly from a few weeks back on Reggae.

At the end they were playing some modern stuff and one stood out - Om Unit - Acid Dub Studies

Now I had been drinking, to set the scene, and looked it up and saw it was running out on vinyl so boom it is bought. Then I think I must check him out. So play his stuff on Spotify and well it is a very mixed bag and I really not sure I like a lot. so worried about my drunken spend.

Gets released today and it is actually alright. I can see myself on a lazy summers evening in my rocking chair in the garden listening to this and pondering stuff.

I used to buy LPs sometimes just on how the covers looked and not listen to it till I got home. Man I bought a few duffers that way

5 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

So last week I was listening to Bandcamp weekly from a few weeks back on Reggae.

I really do need to explore Bandcamp a bit more. I've got an account and buy stuff on there, but don't really use any of their playlists or anything like that.

5 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

I used to buy LPs sometimes just on how the covers looked and not listen to it till I got home. Man I bought a few duffers that way

That actually just reminds me of something.  A few years ago we were on holiday in Jamaica, and got chatting to a couple of guys outside a bar. One of them was a "musician" going by the name of Jah Cool, and he convinced me to buy a couple of CDs off him; one was a mix of local music, and the other was his own stuff. When we got home the local stuff was pretty good, but his own album was just a blank CD 😄

To this day, me & Mrs Q aren't 100% sure whether he was on the fiddle, or was just such a mess that he didn't realise he hadn't actually recorded anything. Given how the afternoon with them went, the second is 100% feasible 😄 

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

I really do need to explore Bandcamp a bit more. I've got an account and buy stuff on there, but don't really use any of their playlists or anything like that.

Trouble is there is so much out there and a lot to wade through, certainly can be very useful, but also a complete waste of time. I am getting better and not spending so much time now. But the musical wormholes I have been down have been interesting and have come across some stuff I would never have listened to

1 hour ago, Quark said:

That actually just reminds me of something.  A few years ago we were on holiday in Jamaica, and got chatting to a couple of guys outside a bar. One of them was a "musician" going by the name of Jah Cool, and he convinced me to buy a couple of CDs off him; one was a mix of local music, and the other was his own stuff. When we got home the local stuff was pretty good, but his own album was just a blank CD 😄

To this day, me & Mrs Q aren't 100% sure whether he was on the fiddle, or was just such a mess that he didn't realise he hadn't actually recorded anything. Given how the afternoon with them went, the second is 100% feasible 😄 

Maybe he was a Jamaican John Cage tribute act. 

Edited by SwedgeAntilles

3 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Given The Hold Steady album 3 spins so far, I like it, I think it's good (ILIITIG for those in the know).

Craig is definitely the major influence, it sounds closer to his solo stuff than it does early THS albums but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

One of my running albums for tonight, proved to be a good soundtrack. I'll be listening to it again over the weekend

42 minutes ago, Quark said:

One of my running albums for tonight, proved to be a good soundtrack. I'll be listening to it again over the weekend

I love it so much I'm binging on The Hold Steady back catalogue tonight (also binging on rum)! Currently on 'Stay Positive'. I still think it's one of the greatest albums of the 21st century!

1 hour ago, Punksnotdead said:

I love it so much I'm binging on The Hold Steady back catalogue tonight (also binging on rum)! Currently on 'Stay Positive'. I still think it's one of the greatest albums of the 21st century!

Damn right it is. I get that Separation Sunday and Almost Killed me are the albums of choice for the hip Hold Steady fan, Stay Positive is right up there.

But... Boys and Girls In America is the one. Absolutely incredible. 

The fact that Craig Finn is the greatest lyricists of the 21st Century is beyond doubt.

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

Damn right it is. I get that Separation Sunday and Almost Killed me are the albums of choice for the hip Hold Steady fan, Stay Positive is right up there.

But... Boys and Girls In America is the one. Absolutely incredible. 

The fact that Craig Finn is the greatest lyricists of the 21st Century is beyond doubt.

Ok, you've inspired me to do a list:

1. Stay Positive

2. Separation Sunday

3. Boys & Girls in America 

4. Almost killed me

5. Open door policy 

6. Heaven is whenever 

7. Teeth dreams 

8. Thrashing thru the passion 

9. Pablo Honey 

😄