great cover songs

Lizzim

15 minutes ago, kalifire said:

2014? My first Glasto. They were the first act I ever saw on the Pyramid. Front row with other fans. Great memory. 

I first saw them headlining West Holts in 2010.  They came back again in 2014 on The Pyramid.

In 2010 there was also another version of Stairway on The Pyramid (but we don't talk about that now).

Edited by grumpyhack

1 hour ago, grumpyhack said:

In 2010 there was also another version of Stairway on The Pyramid (but we don't talk about that now).

Always a bad sign when the band is extremely average but the singer insists on going through them all, expecting a cheer after every name. “John Smith on keys”; “Jane Smith on bass”; “Lars Ulrich on drums”, etc. 

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

Always a bad sign when the band is extremely average but the singer insists on going through them all, expecting a cheer after every name. “John Smith on keys”; “Jane Smith on bass”; “Lars Ulrich on drums”, etc. 

Roll calls in concerts. It's fine when it's in the context of a song, and each member gets a couple of bars to show their wares, but on its own, it can be interminably dull. Foo Fighters when they headlined.... man, I think half the set was made up of the roll call, when each member got to sing their own cover song. Of course the other half of the set was extended outros.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This could have easily gone in the worst section...

Finally tracked down all of @dentalplan's favourite band Black Midi's covers they released on flexi discs, I think they're good fun

0:00 - Nothing Compares 2 U (Prince cover)
4:40 - Psycho Killer (Talking Heads cover)
9:22 - 21st Century Schizoid Man (King Crimson cover)
14:34 - Moonlight on Vermont (Captain Beefheart cover)
18:29 - Love Story (Taylor Swift cover)

Posted all sorts in various covers threads here over the years, but can't remember if I ever posted this one. Caught them doing this at the Fruitmarket in Glasgow nearly 20 years ago. Knocked me sideways when they payed it, still a great interpretation (even better live and up close). 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2021 at 4:04 PM, maelzoid said:

Roll calls in concerts. It's fine when it's in the context of a song, and each member gets a couple of bars to show their wares, but on its own, it can be interminably dull. Foo Fighters when they headlined.... man, I think half the set was made up of the roll call, when each member got to sing their own cover song. Of course the other half of the set was extended outros.

I once went to a gig where they took about 10 minutes to do the roll call of band members and then didn't even play another song afterwards. It was at a venue that's particularly tricky to get out of afterwards as well. I was fuming that we could have left 10 minutes earlier and beat the traffic.