U.S. Presidential Election

FloorFiller

29 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Based on analysis of the outstanding vote, which is mainly coming from Democratic states like California, Biden is on course for a popular vote lead of MORE than 6 million votes. It seems like this election wasn’t really close especially as Biden leads 6 of the 8 key swing states. 

if it comes in like that it would be pretty close to what the polls were suggesting.

6 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

If it comes in at 306-232 then the polls were only really wrong in Florida where they pointed to a Biden win. Every other state has voted in line with its polling 

Funnily enough this would explain quite a lot wouldn’t it @Ozanne and be a bit poetic considering the debates we had on here.

edit - just to clarify. I had a strong feeling Florida was turning red so I thought trump was winning the election - but the election managed to still be somewhat as predicted, just without Florida.

Edited by Matt42

It really must be said this election has gone almost exactly as was predicted. Florida was the only surprise, and since it gets declared early it threw us all off, but the message was ALWAYS the democratic vote would trickle in over the week and it would tip the balance. It’s hard to keep that perspective when Trump looks like he’s smashing it, but it has pretty gone as predicted.

And I agree with @FloorFiller. The slow death is beautiful and when it finally gets called it’s going to be amazing. In a way, this slow, painful death for Trump is the perfect revenge for the last four years. Can’t wait for the exclamation point to come.

9 hours ago, Suprefan said:

HOC just offers another view point of it and it has to be so cynical we cheer for the “bad guy”. West Wing is the romantic version. And Veep is the satire we all love.

Veep had me roaring, do we think that Harris is binging for research purposes at the moment (it's not like she's got anything better to do right now)?

1 hour ago, jparx said:

Just amazing. So happy for the folks in ATL. They’ve brought that home big time.

Stupidly I feel really affectionate for Atlanta and cheering them on every time King zooms in on his magic wall for an update and it's for no reason other than I absolutely loved Donald Glover's TV show of the same name. Thoroughly recommend it to anyone that's not dipped in yet.

Well, that and the sweet delight of John Lewis sticking it to Trump from beyond the grave:

"To the people who were beaten, put in jail, were asked questions they could never answer to register to vote, it's amazing."

13 minutes ago, jparx said:

It really must be said this election has gone almost exactly as was predicted. Florida was the only surprise, and since it gets declared early it threw us all off, but the message was ALWAYS the democratic vote would trickle in over the week and it would tip the balance. It’s hard to keep that perspective when Trump looks like he’s smashing it, but it has pretty gone as predicted.

And I agree with @FloorFiller. The slow death is beautiful and when it finally gets called it’s going to be amazing. In a way, this slow, painful death for Trump is the perfect revenge for the last four years. Can’t wait for the exclamation point to come.

It will get very "Wizard of Oz" over the next few days as it will be clear what a pathetic loser hides behind the persona. 

He will go out with a wimper. 

Murdoch has rolled over on him and the spell is broken.

Wait for the onslaught of Real Republicans coming out of the woodwork to claim they never liked him anyway.

15 minutes ago, jparx said:

Yep, the Economist modelling guy must be feeling pretty smug with all his months of hard work right now:

Whilst I came to election night pretty confident that Biden would win well and that the story would all be about what Trump's nefarious plans were, I admit to having serious early wobbles when I saw the results for Miami come in and he was 10pts down on Clinton. That's when the fear kicked in for me.

32 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Funnily enough this would explain quite a lot wouldn’t it @Ozanne and be a bit poetic considering the debates we had on here.

edit - just to clarify. I had a strong feeling Florida was turning red so I thought trump was winning the election - but the election managed to still be somewhat as predicted, just without Florida.

Well I did call this at half 4 on Wednesday morning 😜

Thats kind of what I meant about the count being this way round. If it was the other then the whole perception of this thing would be different. 

121C756F-C58D-4881-A076-6E63DA8D9957.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Well I did call this at half 4 on Wednesday morning 😜

Thats kind of what I meant about the count being this way round. If it was the other then the whole perception of this thing would be different. 

121C756F-C58D-4881-A076-6E63DA8D9957.jpeg

And a few hours later I was happy to concede.

I think we all hit a moment of hysteria when it became clear that both sides had really turned out their support. I think this goes to show as well how close the fight really is when America has high voter turnout. Makes you wonder how different some past elections could have gone if less people stayed at home.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

And a few hours later I was happy to concede.

I think we all hit a moment of hysteria when it became clear that both sides had really turned out their support. I think this goes to show as well how close the fight really is when America has high voter turnout. Makes you wonder how different some past elections could have gone if less people stayed at home.

I have no idea what those emotions were at half 4 on Wednesday morning with barely 2 hours of sleep 😂

This is big. This woman has been at the forefront of promoting the trump campaign even at its worst moments. She has basically defended him with pretty much anything he’s done.

Trump’s castle, his media backing, and his close supporters are going to start jumping ship. He’s going to lose the Murdoch protective coating and soon he will be left to the wolves.

Edited by Matt42

9 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

This is big. This woman has been at the forefront of promoting the trump campaign even at its worst moments. She has basically defended him with pretty much anything he’s done.

Trump’s castle, his media backing, and his close supporters are going to start jumping ship. He’s going to lose the Murdoch protective coating and soon he will be left to the wolves.

Delicious!

The Murdoch empire has clearly cut ties and will pressure him to go with whatever dignity he can muster. But he won’t be crucified on Fox. Trump will go, he’ll resign and get his pardon, but this brand of right-wing politics won’t be going anywhere. The right-wing media and GOP will immediately switch and begin to prepare the ground for the next guy. To get Trump to the presidency was one thing, but after four years of ‘that’ and still secure over 70m votes, they will be emboldened. 

And the frightening thing is, the next guy won’t be a comically incompetent clown. 

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

Trump's chief of staff has tested positive for coronavirus. He was at the election night party at the white house.

That seems to have been lost a bit in this. They held an election party celebrating a victory, and the president did a victory speech, only for to slowly lose over the next few days. LOL

That election night conference was in a packed room, no one wearing masks. Looks like another spreader event. 

Going forward how relevant will Trump be if he loses his main outlets to spread his message?

Fox aren’t going to be on his side much longer. Twitter have already said once he loses his protected status as world leader he will go back to being a regular Twitter user and subject to the same terms of service which will mean he is likely to be removed from the platform. 

16 minutes ago, Gingerfish79 said:

The Murdoch empire has clearly cut ties and will pressure him to go with whatever dignity he can muster. But he won’t be crucified on Fox. Trump will go, he’ll resign and get his pardon, but this brand of right-wing politics won’t be going anywhere. The right-wing media and GOP will immediately switch and begin to prepare the ground for the next guy. To get Trump to the presidency was one thing, but after four years of ‘that’ and still secure over 70m votes, they will be emboldened. 

And the frightening thing is, the next guy won’t be a comically incompetent clown. 

Fox News and Murdoch didn’t want to support Trump. They have always been the flag wavers for career Republican politicians.

it wasn’t until they started getting heavy backlash from their viewers they changed their tide for him. The response to Megan Kelly fact checking trump at a primary nearly broke the network.

Murdoch feared that if they didn’t become the trump news network they would tank. The second trump loses his mandate they will leave him.

evidence - look at how Fox used to report on trump 

Edited by Matt42

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Fox News and Murdoch didn’t want to support Trump. They have always been the flag wavers for career Republican politicians.

it wasn’t until they started getting heavy backlash from their viewers they changed their tide for him. The response to Megan Kelly fact checking trump at a primary nearly broke the network.

Murdoch feared that if they didn’t become the trump news network they would tank. The second trump loses his mandate they will leave him.

I don’t think they’ll drop him immediately - Sean Hannity is like Trumps best/only friend after all - and the Biden sniping/‘this would’ve never happened under Trump’ will go on for a bit, but I’m sure there’ll come a point where they’re basically forced to move on to the next guy and away from Trump as the GOP does the same.

What happens to Trump/Trumpism is another thing. Hopefully prison so it peters out of its own accord, but I’m sure he’ll do his best to continue riling up his MAGAts for as long as possible, and some awful stuff will transpire because of it.

Him getting banned from Twitter on January 21st would be incredibly satisfying though. 

1 hour ago, Kurosagi said:

Veep had me roaring, do we think that Harris is binging for research purposes at the moment (it's not like she's got anything better to do right now)?

Stupidly I feel really affectionate for Atlanta and cheering them on every time King zooms in on his magic wall for an update and it's for no reason other than I absolutely loved Donald Glover's TV show of the same name. Thoroughly recommend it to anyone that's not dipped in yet.

Well, that and the sweet delight of John Lewis sticking it to Trump from beyond the grave:

"To the people who were beaten, put in jail, were asked questions they could never answer to register to vote, it's amazing."

Atlanta also produced these 2 legends, the gift that keeps on giving

You're right about the TV show as well, one of the best things out there (and all free on the iPlayer!). No blue/red American maps or badly drawn 8s  though I'm afraid.