U.S. Presidential Election

FloorFiller

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

15 minutes?! I've voted in every election and referendum for 20 years and have never queued once. Always walk straight in, tell them my name and vote. Always just put that down to poor turnout but maybe I just go at quiet times of day?

I go when the crappy prime time soaps are on. 

7 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

Yep, these kind of clever loopholes end up being for short term gains that bite them on the arse later on.

Here's a question for the US politics wonks...if Biden was inclined to increase the Supreme Court numbers, as Trump repeatedly screamed he would, presumably that would have to be signed off by congress and so unlikely to get anywhere?

Yes, not having the Senate makes those plans impossible as far as I'm aware.

Yep, these kind of clever loopholes end up being for short term gains that bite them on the arse later on.

Here's a question for the US politics wonks...if Biden was inclined to increase the Supreme Court numbers, as Trump repeatedly screamed he would, presumably that would have to be signed off by congress and so unlikely to get anywhere?

He can't expand the supreme court without a majority in Congress

But trump did so much on executive order without any blowback, Biden may as well do the same.

10 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

It will have a better chance if the 2 Georgia seats turn Blue and its 50-50 with Kamala as tie break. Mcconell can’t do anything about it. But what he might be able to do is again to stop Biden from appointing judges in the lower circuits just like he did with Obama in his second term. As much as we want to see that packing the court is a good thing, Mitch did it at lower levels and it will have a longer lasting impression. Everyones more focused on SCOTUS, but the appellate system skewing even moreso to a certain rhetoric is the real danger. Thats why you saw him cackling like a super villain when he admitted to blocking the appointments and Merrick Garland from scotus. He has been waiting all his life to tell a powerful black man to eat shit. At this point I wouldnt even be surprised if they go after Barrett or Kavanaugh and impeach them. I dont mind Gorsuch because its a draw with taking Scalia’s seat and he is really smart and is more moderate than anyone would want to admit anyway, and is actually qualified to do the job which is what we all would hope that a Justice is even if we do not like their ideals.

Edited by Suprefan
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

15 minutes?! I've voted in every election and referendum for 20 years and have never queued once. Always walk straight in, tell them my name and vote. Always just put that down to poor turnout but maybe I just go at quiet times of day?

To be fair that includes the obligatory chat with the poll counters outside! It was busier when I lived in the city, piece of cake now I'm in the countryside and can wander straight into the village hall. Having to wait hours and hours would seriously test my willingness to participate in centrist politics 😉

5 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

It will have a better chance if the 2 Georgia seats turn Blue and its 50-50 with Kamala as tie break. Mcconell can’t do anything about it. But what he might be able to do is again to stop Biden from appointing judges in the lower circuits just like he did with Obama in his second term. As much as we want to see that packing the court is a good thing, Mitch did it at lower levels and it will have a longer lasting impression. Everyones more focused on SCOTUS, but the appellate system skewing even moreso to a certain rhetoric is the real danger. Thats why you saw him cackling like a super villain when he admitted to blocking the appointments and Merrick Garland from scotus. He has been waiting all his life to tell a powerful black man to eat shit. At this point I wouldnt even be surprised if they go after Barrett or Kavanaugh and impeach them. I dont mind Gorsuch because its a draw with taking Scalia’s seat and he is really smart and is more moderate than anyone would want to admit anyway.

Brilliant insight, thanks.

I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread, I've learnt loads.

To be fair that includes the obligatory chat with the poll counters outside! It was busier when I lived in the city, piece of cake now I'm in the countryside and can wander straight into the village hall. Having to wait hours and hours would seriously test my willingness to participate in centrist politics 😉

Yeah it would me too. I still would, though.

I live in London for reference, but must just time it well. Have never ever spoken to the poll counters outside.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

4 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

EST, it will be from Delaware so in 40 minutes give or take. 8pm EST

Was supposed to have an early night, but that's quite tempting. Anyone know whether this is going to have a bit more meat on the bones this time or just another 'be patient and hang on in there' pep talk?

2 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

Brilliant insight, thanks.

I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread, I've learnt loads.

Trying to kill some stereotypes ya know. I would say if you watch The West Wing you’ll gain a fair bit of new knowledge also cause there are variables of political scenarios that play out in that show and easily help you manage things that happen in the real world per say. the constitution is just so densely packed that people only ever think 4 amendments exist. The 1st, 2nd, 5th and 25th.

and re: voting for myself, it’s actually gotten slightly more “difficult” in sense. I had the convenience of having a polling place 2 houses down on my block. These wonderful elderly women ran it. Then they moved and there was a reshuffling of polling places and it turned to a local school which meant I had to drive in the car for 5 mins to get there. This year I had to go to a community center for the primary and with new digital voting. It was on the brink of when we got the covid shut down. And then last week I went to an early voting site and got it done without even bothering with election day delays. I think I only ever waited a couple times. In 08 and 2012. But it was after work hours so it was busy. But of course when i only had to walk 100 glfeet home who cares about a wait lol.

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah it would me too. I still would, though.

I live in London for reference, but must just time it well. Have never ever spoken to the poll counters outside.

I seem to remember in 2017 there were some places in London (Tottenham?) that had to stay open a bit longer because of long queues of people who'd left it late in the day.

The poll counters are so bored they love a chat although quickly get grumpy if more people turn up, it can be quite a wind-up if you're in the mood.

4 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

Was supposed to have an early night, but that's quite tempting. Anyone know whether this is going to have a bit more meat on the bones this time or just another 'be patient and hang on in there' pep talk?

CNN were just saying that it isn't clear if Biden will still speak as he hasn't been declared the winner.

4 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Trying to kill some stereotypes ya know. I would say if you watch The West Wing you’ll gain a fair bit of new knowledge also cause there are variables of political scenarios that play out in that show and easily help you manage things that happen in the real world per say. the constitution is just so densely packed that people only ever think 4 amendments exist. The 1st, 2nd, 5th and 25th.

and re: voting for myself, it’s actually gotten slightly more “difficult” in sense. I had the convenience of having a polling place 2 houses down on my block. These wonderful elderly women ran it. Then they moved and there was a reshuffling of polling places and it turned to a local school which meant I had to drive in the car for 5 mins to get there. This year I had to go to a community center for the primary and with new digital voting. It was on the brink of when we got the covid shut down. And then last week I went to an early voting site and got it done without even bothering with election day delays. I think I only ever waited a couple times. In 08 and 2012. But it was after work hours so it was busy. But of course when i only had to walk 100 glfeet home who cares about a wait lol.

After having binged on House of Cards (US) I see congressional politics through the lens of only being able to get anything done if you've got dirt on someone. Very cynical. Probably no different in the UK to be honest.

I suppose the media love to show hideous long voting lines as it's a cheap story to fill the time, although, and that said, they were trying to tie it to voter supression tactics this year.

14 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

After having binged on House of Cards (US) I see congressional politics through the lens of only being able to get anything done if you've got dirt on someone. Very cynical. Probably no different in the UK to be honest.

I suppose the media love to show hideous long voting lines as it's a cheap story to fill the time, although, and that said, they were trying to tie it to voter supression tactics this year.

HOC just offers another view point of it and it has to be so cynical we cheer for the “bad guy”. West Wing is the romantic version. And Veep is the satire we all love. 

i do hope there is a west wing reboot and its for now so things that Sorkin wrote about 20 years ago come to fruition.

Edited by Suprefan