U.S. Presidential Election

FloorFiller

7 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I did some rough calculations but that was before the provisional vote news came in. Without the provisional votes it should avoid the 1% recount margin in PA of about 70k. 

Now it depends on the make up of those provisional votes. It seems that a lot of those votes are people who originally asked for a mail vote but had to vote in person instead.

I suppose the Trump lawyers will be all over this stuff and might form the basis of a recount even if the recount margin is exceeded.

Just watching the PA on the ground update...that's some forensic work they've got on their plates marrying those votes up!

Our voting system isn’t anything fancy but it’s way easier to process than all the wildly different ways of counting the votes in the US. 

I can’t remember any uk press conferences outside counting areas having to explain how the votes are processed. 

We just get stuff done. 

3 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Our voting system isn’t anything fancy but it’s way easier to process than all the wildly different ways of counting the votes in the US. 

I can’t remember any uk press conferences outside counting areas having to explain how the votes are processed. 

We just get stuff done. 

It's the voter suppression stuff that I'm not sure we've got into over here. I'm not talking about the Cummings/Cambridge Analytica digital efforts, but the way the US has such staggeringly long vote queues due to deliberately reducing the number of places that people can actually vote. I don't think I've ever had to queue for longer than 15 mins, can't imagine having to prep up for multiple hours shuffling along a line.

But yeah, agreed, the actual processing of votes seems pretty straightforward over here, even when we've had recounts they've been done quite sharpish.

12 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

We just get stuff done. 

Thats the diff between democracy and a parliamentary system. I mean states rights alone is what allows it. I would say there should be a couple extra things that all states must abide by in regards to this all to make it easier but the rest of course will always be a mess. State legislatures would never wanna give up the power they have to control as much as they do. And of course you havent really dived into gerrymandering, right?

Edited by Suprefan

4 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Thats the diff between democracy and a parliamentary system. I mean states rights alone is what allows it. I would say there should be a couple extra things that all states must abide by in regards to this all to make it easier but the rest of course will always be a mess. State legislatures would never wanna give up the power they have to control as much as they do. And of course you havent really dived into gerrymandering, right?

Ooooh, we're *really* good at that, good point.

2 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Thats the diff between democracy and a parliamentary system. I mean states rights alone is what allows it. I would say there should be a couple extra things that all states must abide by in regards to this all to make it easier but the rest of course will always be a mess. State legislatures would never wanna give up the power they have to control as much as they do. And of course you havent really dived into gerrymandering, tight? 

Constituency boundaries are always getting changed to suit the party in power over here. That’s always gone on but we’ve got a simpler voting system that works. 

I can understand delays for traveling over long distance but the same postal voting laws for all states especially for major elections would have meant we would have had this all sewn up by now. 

It’s great that more people have voted over there. Just have to keep making it easier for everyone to get a vote. 

5 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Constituency boundaries are always getting changed to suit the party in power over here. That’s always gone on but we’ve got a simpler voting system that works. 

I can understand delays for traveling over long distance but the same postal voting laws for all states especially for major elections would have meant we would have had this all sewn up by now. 

It’s great that more people have voted over there. Just have to keep making it easier for everyone to get a vote. 

Wait til we get a new postmaster general and thatll get fixed right up. But til this gets fixed, itll always be a problem. Whats wrong with this picture.  Thats  North Carolina. Dont even get me started on texas.

73D0255C-3EAF-4C67-97D0-FBEC4D284F69.png

Timely article that contemplates the realpolitik of the next few years:

The emerging likelihood of a Republican Senate and a Joe Biden presidency have left Democrats split on whether to keep fighting for potentially doomed progressive priorities or compromise with the GOP on both personnel and policy.

Although votes are still being counted in Nevada, Arizona, Pennsylvania, North Carolina and Georgia, and lawsuits likely to drag on for weeks, Democratic officials and advocacy groups are already confronting the prospect of several more years of Mitch McConnell controlling which bills and nominees will see the light of day. At this point, their best hope of being able to set the agenda is either winning both runoff elections in Georgia this January, or waiting until 2022, when dozens of GOP senators are up for reelection.

The rest of the article here, although unfortunately it loses it's focus in the second half:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/11/06/biden-allies-gear-up-for-gop-senate-434748

29 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

We just get stuff done. 

You should see how many counts it takes us to fill a 5 seater in Mayo under PR with a single transferable vote! 

3 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

Timely article that contemplates the realpolitik of the next few years:

The emerging likelihood of a Republican Senate and a Joe Biden presidency have left Democrats split on whether to keep fighting for potentially doomed progressive priorities or compromise with the GOP on both personnel and policy.

Although votes are still being counted in Nevada, Arizona, Pennsylvania, North Carolina and Georgia, and lawsuits likely to drag on for weeks, Democratic officials and advocacy groups are already confronting the prospect of several more years of Mitch McConnell controlling which bills and nominees will see the light of day. At this point, their best hope of being able to set the agenda is either winning both runoff elections in Georgia this January, or waiting until 2022, when dozens of GOP senators are up for reelection.

The rest of the article here, although unfortunately it loses it's focus in the second half:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/11/06/biden-allies-gear-up-for-gop-senate-434748

In terms of cabinet positions, trump helpfully found a loophole by appointing interim positions for people. Biden can do that and bypass Congress.

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

In terms of cabinet positions, trump helpfully found a loophole by appointing interim positions for people. Biden can do that and bypass Congress.

Yep, these kind of clever loopholes end up being for short term gains that bite them on the arse later on.

Here's a question for the US politics wonks...if Biden was inclined to increase the Supreme Court numbers, as Trump repeatedly screamed he would, presumably that would have to be signed off by congress and so unlikely to get anywhere?

33 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

It's the voter suppression stuff that I'm not sure we've got into over here. I'm not talking about the Cummings/Cambridge Analytica digital efforts, but the way the US has such staggeringly long vote queues due to deliberately reducing the number of places that people can actually vote. I don't think I've ever had to queue for longer than 15 mins, can't imagine having to prep up for multiple hours shuffling along a line.

But yeah, agreed, the actual processing of votes seems pretty straightforward over here, even when we've had recounts they've been done quite sharpish.

15 minutes?! I've voted in every election and referendum for 20 years and have never queued once. Always walk straight in, tell them my name and vote. Always just put that down to poor turnout but maybe I just go at quiet times of day?