U.S. Presidential Election

FloorFiller

People are pandering to him. Letting it play out and are hoping it all falls apart and that they are not the ones that have to break the news. He’s not a rationale person (i think he believes he has been cheated) and will go to the ends of the world to destroy people. It’s how shit like this happens. The good news is that he isn’t overwhelmingly popular because if he were shit would get dangerous.

13 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

There’s zero chance he can do anything that would actually overturn the election.

Word from inside the White House now seems to be suggesting that he and the GOP are well aware it’s over and that this is all theatre and basically just an attempt to shake shit up one last time before he leaves, which would all be fine if it wasn’t gonna get people hurt due to his base trying to fight his fight for him.

He's still running the agreed playbook for if he lost by a narrow margin. If Biden was only ahead by a couple of electoral college votes, you can dispute the result in one state, and use that to flip five faithless electors and you can win. But he'd need to flip so many at this point it's just not practical.

5 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

use that to flip five faithless electors and you can win

If this happens then surely that’s sending America towards civil war. They are obsessed with fair democracy. 

Is there any historical precedent of the electoral college going against the will of the people?

3 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

If this happens then surely that’s sending America towards civil war. They are obsessed with fair democracy. 

Is there any historical precedent of the electoral college going against the will of the people?

It's happened 163 times for induvial votes in US history. It varies state to state but you can get a lengthy jail sentence for doing this.

Edited by jump

8 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

there's two (I think) run-offs in January, which gets control if the dems win them.

You are correct, there’s 2 run off in GA in Jan. However I think it only then leads to a tied Senate with the VP acting then as the decider. So technically no one would have control of the Senate but in actuality the Dems should.

8 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Not that it will stop Trump demanding a recount, it just wastes more time and Republicans money. 

Won’t there be a risk of missing certification deadlines then (risking state legislatures deciding)?

Georgia with its hand count (then most likely another count after that) is concerning me.

49 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Just need PA to get past 1% and then there’s no point having the recounts in the other states. 

Not that it will stop Trump demanding a recount, it just wastes more time and Republicans money. 

Saw earlier that PA had just received a new batch of 4400 ballots. 350 odd for Trump and 4000 odd for Biden

Edited by Copperface

2 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

looks like lawyers had enough or don't want to continue on the joke of a lawsuit

That's it then. I think we'll get a speech from Trump at some point in the next couple days saying "I won't legally fight the election, but it's clear it was rigged"