When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

The goal posts of responses shift as does the action if the virus itself.

If we, the supposed intelligent human race, are not flexible and willing to move goal posts as needed based on best interpretation of information available then we as  a species are doomed given what lies ahead for us.

To live with the virus requires flexibility often at short notice. Can we manage that?

So now the progressive stance to take is to doubt the efficacy of the vaccine?

horseshoe theory at it's finest.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

So now the progressive stance to take is to doubt the efficacy of the vaccine?

horseshoe theory at it's finest.

Do you accept we might have to do things differently in the future Matt ? Or we carry on blindly hoping for the best ? I can’t see a single thing in that post desputing vaccine efficacy ? The vaccine is absolutely incredible … but 5 months ago we didn’t have this Indian variant and might well have been fully open now if it hadn’t arrived … things change ? It’s harsh but it (might ) be a reality … we don’t have a crystal ball that tells us the future ? 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Do you accept we might have to do things differently in the future Matt ? Or we carry on blindly hoping for the best ? I can’t see a single thing in that post desputing vaccine efficacy ? The vaccine is absolutely incredible … but 5 months ago we didn’t have this Indian variant and might well have been fully open now if it hadn’t arrived … things change ? It’s harsh but it (might ) be a reality … we don’t have a crystal ball that tells us the future ? 

No I don't believe that they way forward is to remain in a lockdown. It's not a sustainable way of doing things differently. And it also differentiates completely with what my post was.

Again we are arriving at a date for unlocking and all of the coverage wall to wall is focusing on the negatives.

Not the fact that our death count has remained far below the average for flu for months now and that there is insurmountable evidence that double jabbed people are very protected.

It absolutely is vaccine denialism if the progressive view is now that being double jabbed isn't enough. You're repeating arguments that the anti-vaxxers make albeit from a different direction. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

and where exactly did I say that?

I didn't, you decided I did for some kind of effect.

Love and peace

Your post insinuated that we shouldn't challenge when the scientific narrative changes. Moving from focusing on the vaccine to now the vaccine offered to all adults not being enough. It's the same thing as the focus on “long covid” now, rather than anything else. It's just another stick to beat with so we don't re open.

Edited by Matt42

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

No I don't believe that they way forward is to remain in a lockdown. It's not a sustainable way of doing things differently. And it also differentiates completely with what my post was.

Again we are arriving at a date for unlocking and all of the coverage wall to wall is focusing on the negatives.

Not the fact that our death count has remained far below the average for flu for months now and that there is insurmountable evidence that double jabbed people are very protected.

It absolutely is vaccine denialism if the progressive view is now that being double jabbed isn't enough. You're repeating arguments that the anti-vaxxers make albeit from a different direction. 

Again Matt you mention something I haven’t mentioned in my post … I talked about changes and I’m sure the very last one that anyone would want would be lockdown again with the massive consequences that has … some interventions we have already started moving towards wfh being one … another might be the use of more effective masks should something like this occur in our lifetimes once more …  please don’t use lines that I have any support or similarity to any antivax messaging that is quite simply not true .. It looks like this is going to get easier   and hopefully it will … but unfortunately life can throw some curve balls at us … as it did when this shit started !! 

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

Again Matt you mention something I haven’t mentioned in my post … I talked about changes and I’m sure the very last one that anyone would want would be lockdown again with the massive consequences that has … some interventions we have already started moving towards wfh being one … another might be the use of more effective masks should something like this occur in our lifetimes once more …  please don’t use lines that I have any support or similarity to any antivax messaging that is quite simply not true .. It looks like this is going to get easier   and hopefully it will … but unfortunately life can throw some curve balls at us … as it did when this shit started !! 

But what curveballs are being thrown? All the anxiety is from what could possibly happen rather than what is factually happening. The “science” has moved from working on a vaccine to curb transmission to hypothetical projections. 

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

How do you think your own contribution has helped in this regards?  It's always others never yourself 

For one I’ve not sworn at a single poster … so that might show I’ve a little respect for people … despite differing opinions … if I offended u at any point I’m happy enough to apologise now … the rest is pretty much discussion isn’t it ? 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

But what curveballs are being thrown? All the anxiety is from what could possibly happen rather than what is factually happening. The “science” has moved from working on a vaccine to curb transmission to hypothetical projections. 

The tautological hypothetical projections have been part of the science all along.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

The virus in the first place … the Indian variant ? … I get that things at the moment look good and fuck me im delighted … hopefully off to beautiful days in 6 weeks … it is possible to think things might happen in the future without wanting them too … I’m not sure anyone thought about this happening was it 18 months ago … least of all me 

26 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Your post insinuated that we shouldn't challenge when the scientific narrative changes. Moving from focusing on the vaccine to now the vaccine offered to all adults not being enough. It's the same thing as the focus on “long covid” now, rather than anything else. It's just another stick to beat with so we don't re open.

Bless you, my post insinuated nothing of the sort. It said exactly what it meant to say, no hidden agenda, nothing.

Maybe you ought to go away for another week and realise not everything on the internet is laced with hidden messages.

Seriously though, stop reading things into what people write that are not there - it is almost as though you are looking for an interweb arguement.

20 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1234238/?__twitter_impression=true

So even though they want to allow only vaccinated people in, they STILL want to impose time limits 

That doesn't sound like there's a road back to normality there ever to me...

Screenshot_20210710-211040_Chrome.jpg

We’re away in the west this weekend. Just had dinner, indoors with my brother in law, mother in law, father in law…realised that the last time we all ate together in a restaurant was February 2020! Crazy…but, this evening was the most normal meal we have had out in that time. Everyone is getting twitchy and panicking a bit. Partly because they were promised this was all done next week (or in some cases because it’s been over in their own heads for some time). It’s not, but it’s not a million miles off either. We’ll get there, but after what we have collectively been through as a society over the last year and a half, it’s understandable if many are still hesitant, more nuanced ways of “living with Covid” may be explored and it’s still going to take a bit of time, but it will end. Every pandemic does (and we’ve accelerated this one massively with the vaccines)…(On the above story, there will be a testing option too (and of course outdoor options remain), they just need some more time to sort the logistics as they hadn’t planned on doing it, but under pressure from the hospitality industry to open up indoors ASAP, they are moving with this now and will add testing a few weeks later…we are just moving a lot more slowly than you guys). 

2 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Not overally arsed I just find it funny how people like @crazyfool1 hold themselves higher than they should 

Oh dear. The quantity (and questionable quality) of verbiage suggests you are indeed 'arsed'. 

One of the few posters on this thread, and others, that have consistently behaved in an exemplary manner is @crazyfool. Puts me to shame easily and pales yourself into insignificance. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Not overally arsed I just find it funny how people like @crazyfool1 hold themselves higher than they should 

There seems to be a lot of pots and kettle around here.

You do make me laugh thinking yourself to be so much you will never be.

8 hours ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

Oh dear. The quantity (and questionable quality) of verbiage suggests you are indeed 'arsed'. 

One of the few posters on this thread, and others, that have consistently behaved in an exemplary manner is @crazyfool. Puts me to shame easily and pales yourself into insignificance. 

Well said.

A glimmer of hope for those of us unable to travel overseas today. One of the States here will be trialling home quarantine for people fully vaccinated in Australia in September. I'm still doubtful that trips home for Christmas will be facilitated but eyes are on June 2022 now. It'll be very hard to continue to justify Fortress Australia when most people have been vaccinated.